Bronze Star Contributor
ros2004

Emails are being downloaded to Windows Mail twice

I haven't had a problem with receiving Comcast email on Windows Mail until now. The other day, I dialog box popped up and asked me to sign in with my email account. I usually don't have to sign in but once in a while it does, so it wasn't a big deal. Then, it started to download 800 messages to Windows email. These were all messages that I already have so I canceled the download but it started again. After shutting down and restarting, it still did the same thing. So, I just let it do it's thing.

The problem is, I am still receiving two of every email. I checked my accounts and I don't have a duplicate entry. Any idea how I can stop this?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Emails are being downloaded to Windows Mail twice

First thing to check:  In Preferences>Email do you have Auto Forwarding on?  Go in & check that by clicking on the Auto-forward blue link.

Do you have only one account set up in Windows mail?  (one user)

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Bronze Star Contributor
ros2004

[ Edited ]

Thank you for responding. I don't have auto forwarding on and although I have two accounts going into Windows Mail, these are two different user names.

However, come to think of it, I've been receiving two of everything from only one of my accounts. I don't think I am receiving the second account at all (although I had been, up to 8/17/10).

How could that happen?

Bronze Star Contributor
ros2004

>However, come to think of it, I've been receiving two of everything from only one of my accounts. I don't >think I am receiving the second account at all (although I had been, up to 8/17/10).

This is definitely what's happening. I am receiving my rosmehra email twice, but not receiving my ros2_mehra email. These accounts appear to be set up correctly in Windows Mail.

I have just deleted both accounts and reentered them. Let's see what happens (I'm afraid it'll probably redownload everything for the third time!).

Mac Expert
Joel

It sounds like Windows Mail is set to either leave a copy of each message on the server, OR to leave a copy on the server until a certain action is taken (i.e. Moved From Inbox, etc.). Mail clients use a file (Uids or something similar) to keep track of the messages already downloaded. If this particular file gets corrupted, it could be cause for messages to be continually downloaded. Further research would be required to find out how WinMail keeps track of downloaded messages. If forwarding is not an issue, I would probably look in this direction. The fix would be to delete the corrupt file, then bite the bullet one last time as your messages are downloaded one last time (unless you were to move anything left on the server into a separate folder).

Bronze Star Contributor
ros2004

How do I delete the corrupted file?

What is the name of the file and where is it located?

Bronze Star Contributor
ros2004

Well, it seemed to have cured itself, for now. I'm getting one copy of emails for both accounts. :smileymischief: