Reply
New Visitor
harford0229
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-01-2012

Emails disappearing and not receiving all emails

When I am on the Xfinity Email home page where you can view the list of all your emails in your Inbox, they would suddenly disappear.  I know yesterday I had four that I had already viewed sitting in my Inbox and when I went to view them again an hour later they were gone.  What happened to them? 

 

Also I know Monday, February 27 and Wednesday, February 29, I should have receive several emails from different users (coming from different servers), I did not receive them.  I looked at their computer to see if they had the email address correct and it was.  I have not had any problems with these users sending me emails at any other time.  So it seems that receiving emails are intermittent.  Some days it works, some days not.  I have no way of knowing if I am receiving all my emails. 

 

The problems I am having are all within Xfinity Connect Email. 

 

Apparently there are several issues with Comcast email which need to be resolved quickly!

Email Expert
JR071702
Posts: 6,888
Registered: ‎03-10-2004

Re: Emails disappearing and not receiving all emails


harford0229 wrote:

When I am on the Xfinity Email home page where you can view the list of all your emails in your Inbox, they would suddenly disappear.  I know yesterday I had four that I had already viewed sitting in my Inbox and when I went to view them again an hour later they were gone.  What happened to them? 

 



If your e-mail is disappearing from the Inbox and you are not running an e-mail client that would be downloading the messages from the e-mail server, then you should immediately change your password and make it a "strong" password.

This will prevent any e-mail client from continuing to "pop" your Comcast Inbox.

Here is a link to a Microsoft article called Strong passwords: How to create and use them which is good reading on the subject.

I imagine the question 'How did they get my password', has crossed your mind. Here is a good link with info on some of the way that passwords can be compromised:

http://www.filterjoe.com/2010/05/14/how-attackers-steal-passwords/

Note: Your Comcast email password is not stored on the Comcast email server. Comcast stores a mathematical representation of your combined email address and password. In the unlikely event that some was able to hack into the Comcast email servers, neither your email address nor password would be exposed.

JR

New Visitor
harford0229
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-01-2012

Re: Emails disappearing and not receiving all emails

I do not agree with changing my password.  That is not the issue. 

 

What about my message about not receiving all emails?

New Visitor
Dennis_K
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-01-2012

Re: Emails disappearing and not receiving all emails

 

I am experiencing something very similarThe contents of my 'IN Box' only goes back to the beginning of the yearMy other messages have vaporizedI checked the settings under preferences and none were set to purgeI am running Win7/IE9/XfinityConnect web mail

Email Expert
JR071702
Posts: 6,888
Registered: ‎03-10-2004

Re: Emails disappearing and not receiving all emails


harford0229 wrote:

I do not agree with changing my password.  That is not the issue. 

 

What about my message about not receiving all emails?


Oh, really?    If you are not running an e-mail client that would be popping your inbox and all of your messages in the inbox are suddenly disappearing, then your password has been compromised and the e-mail in your inbox is being popped by whoever has your password.

 

That could also account for not receiving all e-mails if they popped the e-mails that you were looking for.

 

Again, I highly suggest that you change your password.    If you choose to ignore that advice, then you'll have to suffer the consequences of some unauthorized person having access to all of your e-mail.

 

JR

New Visitor
harford0229
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-01-2012

Re: Emails disappearing and not receiving all emails

I totally understand what you are saying but I still do not agree that someone else has my password.  The password that I have setup is only used for Comcast and you had stated:

 

Note: Your Comcast email password is not stored on the Comcast email server. Comcast stores a mathematical representation of your combined email address and password. In the unlikely event that some was able to hack into the Comcast email servers, neither your email address nor password would be exposed.

 

It's funny how someone else has replied that they are having similar issues!

New Visitor
Mommymook1
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-01-2010

Re: Emails disappearing and not receiving all emails

I'm having exactly the same issue, and it started happening on 2/27 or 2/28.  All my emails in my inbox have disappeared.  When I do get a few emails now (I used to get at least 20 emails from businesses a couple days ago, but they don't come anymore), if I try to open one of them, everything in my inbox disappears!!!  Help!!  

New Visitor
harford0229
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-01-2012

Re: Emails disappearing and not receiving all emails

I just now have experienced the issue again.  I had several emails in my Inbox and then are now gone!

Service Expert
Again
Posts: 6,569
Registered: ‎08-04-2006

Re: Emails disappearing and not receiving all emails


harford0229 wrote:

I just now have experienced the issue again.  I had several emails in my Inbox and then are now gone!


Unless you change your password you'll never know, will you?  That way, if the password is not the issue you will know it is something else and we can help you further, but without trying what we suggest, there isn't any way we can help.

***** ***** ***** ***** *****
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
** ***** *****
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Email Expert
Latoque
Posts: 6,076
Registered: ‎06-10-2006

Re: Emails disappearing and not receiving all emails


harford0229 wrote:

I totally understand what you are saying but I still do not agree that someone else has my password.  The password that I have setup is only used for Comcast and you had stated:

 

Note: Your Comcast email password is not stored on the Comcast email server. Comcast stores a mathematical representation of your combined email address and password. In the unlikely event that some was able to hack into the Comcast email servers, neither your email address nor password would be exposed.

 

It's funny how someone else has replied that they are having similar issues!



Harford Jr and Again are right.  It doesn't matter that Comcast stores it as numbers.  All that means is that the hacker/spammer didn't get it from Comcast.   There are ways spammers can run bots that harvest email addresses and passwords using blunt force attacks  or even by just randomly guessing them.  Dissappearing email is a very common sign that your account has been compromised.

 

Change the password and see if that solves the problem  If it doesn't you can at least eliminate that as the cause.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
New Visitor
harford0229
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-01-2012

Re: Emails disappearing and not receiving all emails

I am not going to argue about it anymore.  I work in an IT department so I know how computers work.  I know technical support always tries to have users try things when they are really not the issue.  I know what I am experiencing and so do some other users that have made comments to this same issue. 

Service Expert
Again
Posts: 6,569
Registered: ‎08-04-2006

Re: Emails disappearing and not receiving all emails


harford0229 wrote:

I am not going to argue about it anymore.  I work in an IT department so I know how computers work.  I know technical support always tries to have users try things when they are really not the issue.  I know what I am experiencing and so do some other users that have made comments to this same issue. 


I'm locking this thread since you're not willing to try a simple suggestion.  If you still have a problem, please start a new thread with the steps you've taken to resolve it.

***** ***** ***** ***** *****
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
** ***** *****
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---