Contributor

Error Number 0x800420C8 while send email

Hi, I am using Outlook Express 6. This is a secondary mail account from the master, I do not leave the messages on the Comcast server. Today when trying to send a 3.5 Mb attachment it does not send. I get a 300 second time out and this warning.

"The message could not be opened from out Outbox folder. Account: '******** @ Comcast', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800420C8."

I have read some of the other forums with this problem and error number and have checked the SSL and send & receive options.
This happens once in awhile, not all the time. Some times the email will send after a day or two.
Thanks for your time.
Dr.8
Recognized Contributor

Re: Error Number 0x800420C8 while send email

Are you using McAfee?  If so, that's probably the culprit.
Contributor

Yes I am using McAfee. I selected not to scan outgoing mail, no difference. I got a new error message.

"A time-out occurred while communicating with the server.  Account: '************** @ Comcast', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19 

Do these error numbers mean anything?
Dr8
Recognized Contributor

This is familiar ground.  This thread from McAfee refers to the same problem, and suggests uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee.  Before doing that, try disabling the wormstopper in McAfee, and perhaps also the privacy service.

Personally, I'd remove McAfee, drive a stake through its heart, bury it, and salt the earth where it's been interred.
Contributor

Thanks for the advice. I've had pretty good service with McAfee so far.
Who do you suggest for good protection?
Dr8