Contributor
Accepted Solution

Eudora: Receives, won't send; 550 5.1.0 authentication error; going on 14 HOURS trying to fix this!

Win XP SP3, Eudora 7.1.0.9 paid version, worked perfectly until this morning.

I can receive emails to my four personal-domain emails; can send (from all four) from webmail; cannot send from any on my computer (but I could last night, no problem).

I have tried:  changing any and all of the options in each personality (with auth, without auth, port 25, port 587, this relay personality, that relay personality, NO relay personality); turning off my SW firewall and virus scanner to send (I don't want to try to turn off the hardware firewall if I don't really really have to -- it's too hard to reach the cords); creating a new relay personality through my (mostly unused) Comcast email address; moving the esoteric.epi file; ran various scans and my computer is clean; and anything else I can find on the web.  (I even tried calling Comcast -- but apparently their new voice-mail-**bleep** doesn't offer any contact with a human at all -- and, of course, none of the options in any way related to my problem. {sigh})

I know Comcast doesn't support Eudora -- but this doesn't seem to be a Eudora problem!  Eudora worked perfectly last night -- and my computer wasn't rebooted between then and the 550 5.1.0 error/not sending mail.

I just don't now what else to try.  Any ideas?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Eudora: Receives, won't send; 550 5.1.0 authentication error; going on 14 HOURS trying to fix th

SnowTao2 wrote:

Win XP SP3, Eudora 7.1.0.9 paid version, worked perfectly until this morning.

I can receive emails to my four personal-domain emails; can send (from all four) from webmail; cannot send from any on my computer (but I could last night, no problem).

I have tried:  changing any and all of the options in each personality (with auth, without auth, port 25, port 587, this relay personality, that relay personality, NO relay personality); turning off my SW firewall and virus scanner to send (I don't want to try to turn off the hardware firewall if I don't really really have to -- it's too hard to reach the cords); creating a new relay personality through my (mostly unused) Comcast email address;

Your port 25 was probably blocked, so now you have to use either port 587 or 465, which both require authentication. It sounds like you might have been using just the Comcast SMTP server for sending email, and were using other accounts for receiving email. You have to set things up so that you're using your Comcast user/pass for authentication, your user/pass from your other accounts won't work with the Comcast SMTP server. I'm not familiar with Eudora, but it looks like you might need to set up a "personality" to check email at your Comcast account, and then use that as a "SMTP relay personality". It seems that you tried that. Are you able to check email at your Comcast account with that personality? If so, I'm stumped, but quite sure that the problem is at your end. If you can't check your Comcast email, it could be that Comcast "forgot" about your account, in which case you'll have to hope that a Comcast mod notices your plight, or call Comcast to get things sorted out. Or send a Personal Message (little envelope icon above the message list in the forum) to a Comcast mod and explain things.

The error message you're receiving is from the Comcast server, so your problem isn't about firewalls.

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Eudora: Receives, won't send; 550 5.1.0 authentication error; going on 14 HOURS trying to fix th

[ Edited ]

It's not a Comcast issue, you've likely got something configured improperly with your 587 setup.  Eudora is a great email client but it so many setup and config options that it's easy to get tangled up.  I haven't used it much since v6 when I migrated most of my email over to my Mac, but it should be pretty easy to get going.  If you give me a few minutes, I can upload some instructions.

OK, in Eudora 7, configure your Comcast personality like this:

and the Incoming tab looks like:

Of course you should supply your own name, email address, and userid.  On the Incoming tab, it's your choice if you wish to leave the messages on the server, I do because I use multiple clients and I want all messages in all clients.

Thios setup uses port 587 for authenicated email submission on an SSL secured link, and checks for incoming mail on port 995 also over an SSL secured link.

Hope this helps

Message Edited by Baric on 12-08-2008 07:23 PM
Contributor

Are you able to check email at your Comcast account with that personality? If so, I'm stumped, but quite sure that the problem is at your end. If you can't check your Comcast email,

Thank you Steve!  I checked my Comcast email through Eudora (which I haven't done in, like, a year?!) and 4 messages came in - so I changed the relay personality to that (working) Comcast address (from the one I had created, which wouldn't let the messages out) and BINGO!  Away they went.

Thanks so much!

Contributor

Thanks too Baric!  I'll keep your directions for future use (which I hope to avoid!). I checked and I

do have my accounts set up as you directed -- it seems it was something in the Comcast server not liking

the "send" sign-in for my private domains...  The relay personality fixed it!

Official Employee
charvey

If you were trying to AUTH with your private domain names and not your comcast.net account, then yes that would stop you. You MUST auth with your comcast.net ID otherwise we have no way to verify you are who you say you are.
Visitor

I tried setting up a relay personality--all properly configured--for sending mail via Eudora, and still the auth error message came up.  Do I have to configure the Dominant personality as the relay, or does it not matter, as long as the relay personality is the comcast one?

I have an e-mail address that I have been using for 20 years.  I really do not want to have to change now, so I'd like to get this to work correctly.

Why did Comcast make this change?  More of the same "one person abused it, so all of you now must suffer" mentality?

Email Expert
madylarian

Clouglen wrote:

I tried setting up a relay personality--all properly configured--for sending mail via Eudora, and still the auth error message came up.  Do I have to configure the Dominant personality as the relay, or does it not matter, as long as the relay personality is the comcast one?

I have an e-mail address that I have been using for 20 years.  I really do not want to have to change now, so I'd like to get this to work correctly.

Why did Comcast make this change?  More of the same "one person abused it, so all of you now must suffer" mentality?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a relay personality.  However, if it means you are trying to use some other smtp server besides Comcast's you may have to use some other besides port 25.  If the other server doesn't allow access from any other server you should take it up with them.  On the other hand, there is no reason why you can't download from your domain servers and send from Comcast's servers.  you just have to be sure to authenticate with the appropriate corresponding username and password.

I use Pegasus so I don't know much about Eudora, but just like in Eudora, I can set up multiple identies.  I can also set up multiple smtp servers.  However, I find it easiest to just use Comcast's no matter what identity or email account I'm using.  This means that I use my domain username and password to access the pop server and my Comcast username and password to access their smtp server.  When I send mail it still has my domain addresses as the sender, but it's sent via Comcast's mail servers.

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Bronze Problem Solver

Clouglen wrote:

I tried setting up a relay personality--all properly configured--for sending mail via Eudora,

Have you confirmed that that account is properly set up by using it to send/receive Comcast email?

Visitor

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.  Yes, everything was previously set up properly, and worked just fine up until June 9.  My wife's Eudora on her computer still works great, but that stands to reason because her dominant personality email address ends in @comcast.net.

My dominant personality e-mail does NOT end in @comcast.net, and that is the problem (though up until June 9 that was not a problem).

I have tried all the suggestions found on every post regarding Eudora on these forums, tried every suggestion from the forums on www.eudora.com, and still no luck.

My solution was to dump Comcast as my SMTP server.  I set up a relay personality using my work e-mail, and their SMTP server (which I use at work).  Authentication worked great, and now I have no problems sending e-mail using that old 20-yeard-old return address.  This same set-up is what SHOULD have worked using Comcast's SMTP information and settings, but it did not.

Wifey still uses Comcast as her SMTP server, as it works for her comcast e-mail address.

Fortunately I did not waste more than a couple hours figuring this out.

Fortunately, I had another ISP that I could use.

Unfortunately there are others who do not have that option.  I hope they have better luck getting it to work with Comcast than I did.

Email Expert
madylarian

Clouglen wrote:

My solution was to dump Comcast as my SMTP server.  I set up a relay personality using my work e-mail, and their SMTP server (which I use at work).  Authentication worked great, and now I have no problems sending e-mail using that old 20-yeard-old return address.  This same set-up is what SHOULD have worked using Comcast's SMTP information and settings, but it did not.

If it didn't work than you had something set up incorrectly.  I have been using Comcast's (and @Home's before that and another ISP before that) mail servers to send mail from my personal, non-Comcast address for more than 11 years and never had a problem.  

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Bronze Problem Solver

Clouglen wrote:

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.  Yes, everything was previously set up properly, and worked just fine up until June 9.  My wife's Eudora on her computer still works great, but that stands to reason because her dominant personality email address ends in @comcast.net.

The idea behind "relay personalities" is that Eudora doesn't allow separate user/pass within an account for SMTP and POP authentication. It's a kludge. The battle you're having is with Eudora, not Comcast; Comcast doesn't care about the email address you use (as long as it's a valid Comcast address, or has a valid email domain), it cares about using a valid Comcast user/pass for authentication on ports 587 and 465 (and on port 25 when you're connecting from outside of Comcast).

My dominant personality e-mail does NOT end in @comcast.net, and that is the problem (though up until June 9 that was not a problem).

I have tried all the suggestions found on every post regarding Eudora on these forums, tried every suggestion from the forums on www.eudora.com, and still no luck. 

Nevertheless, you're doing something wrong.

Wifey still uses Comcast as her SMTP server, as it works for her comcast e-mail address.

The email address has nothing to do with it. The SMTP authentication chit-chat takes place before any email addresses are mentioned.