Regular Contributor

Excel to Address Book - proper format?

Hi, All.

I've read how to import an excel list into the address book in SmartZone (full version), but I'm wondering about the proper format of the csv file.  For example, for Outlook, it is suggested you have a row with the field headings Firstname, Lastname, email_address and then have everything listed below.  For the SmartZone address book, do you have to do the same thing?  Or, can I just have one column with the email addresses and no field heading? 

Thanks for any advice,

CJ

Service Expert
Bartleby

Re: Excel to Address Book - proper format?

[ Edited ]

No, you can't just create a .csv file based on a spreadsheet with a single column containing simply e-mail addresses.  SmartZone's import feature won't know what to do with a .csv file that doesn't at least contain placeholders for the other address data it anticipates.

Although the import function will attempt to work against such a .csv file, it won't actually import any contacts/addresses from it.  I tested this.  If you format a .csv so it looks like it came from Outlook, that ought to work, but I didn't test it.

Alternatively, if you've already got contacts in SmartZone, use the Export process to see how SmartZone sets up the .csv for any number of possible targets--including Comcast Contacts.

Remember that a csv file is basically a long string of values separated by commas.  If you are looking for a speedy way to update your Comcast address book with a number of addresses, it would be better to export them from whatever source they are in (assuming a mail client or some other mail provider) than to manually type them all up in single column spreadsheet that you then save as a .csv file.  If you were planning to do that, probably quicker to just update the SmartZone address book directly.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for such a speedy reply! 

I have a long list of folks (from a printed directory) in an Excel worksheet, and I'm just trying to get them into a contact group to send quick emails to the whole group.  They did not start out in another email client.

I will try the sample Export idea and see what happens.

CJ

Service Expert
Bartleby

[ Edited ]

You're welcome.  I haven't played much with SZ's export/import features as they might pertain to e-mail group entries.  But am thinking it still might be easiest to create the group manually.  Not sure what "long list" means, but realize that you can't send to more than 100 recipients on a single message.

EDIT:  I've been playing around in SmartZone with a Test Group I created to see how that information shows up in an exported .csv.  I've not made much sense of the Export results as they relate to the Test Group, regarding both the name for the group and how/whether the .csv stores the data to reference the address book entries that belong to it--though I assume it must maintain the connection to be of much use, even as a backup.

Of course, Address Group creation via SmartZone assumes the existence of individual address book entries, so that's another complicating factor.  Maybe that's the primary step you want to automate, getting the individual entries in so you can then select them for group creation.

But I'll stick with my suggestion that you are probably better off doing this manually.  Sorry you spent the time to create the existing spreadsheet from the printed material.  Let us know how you fare.