Contributor

Exporting Comcast webmail address book to Outlook 2007

I am trying to export my Comcast address book to Windows Office Outlook 2007 so I can sync it to my iPhone.  Comcast webmail will only allow me to export as a *.csv file, yet outlook 2007 does not recognize it.

1)  How do I export my Comcast address books to outlook 2007?

2)  If I can't do it directly, is there a way to export my Comcast address book to another e-mail program that Outlook 2007 will recognize?

Thanks
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Exporting Comcast webmail address book to Outlook 2007

Yes, export as MS Outlook CSV file in Webmail, then in Outlook,
  1. File -> Import and Export...
  2. Select Import from another program or file and press Next.
  3. Select Comma Seperated Values (Windows) and press Next.
  4. Provide the exported filename and press Next.
  5. Select Contacts and press Next.
  6. Press Finish.
Your Webmail contacts should now be in your Outlook Contacts.

One caveat - the above is from Outlook 2002 (XP).  I don't have a copy of Outlook 2007 handy at the moment, but it should be essentially the same.  If someone knows of any difference, please let us know.
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  As I stated in my original post, Outlook 2007 does not recognize CSV files.  This is just one of the many many problems in Office 2007 -- it has not connection to any past Office program.
Bronze Problem Solver

wsbridgeman wrote:
Thanks for the reply.  As I stated in my original post, Outlook 2007 does not recognize CSV files.  This is just one of the many many problems in Office 2007 -- it has not connection to any past Office program.

My OutLook 2007 help refers to importing CSV files. Here is what it says:
Comma-separated values (.csv) To import data in file formats not supported by Business Contact Manager for Outlook, first convert the file to a comma separated values file (comma separated values file: A text file that contains data that is separated by commas (also known as a comma-delimited file). You can create and save a .csv file in programs such as Notepad or Excel.). Select the file to import, and then set options.

I didn't do a detailed search of OutLook 2007 help but maybe there are additional instructions. HTH.
Networking Expert
Baric

If the comma seperated values item does not show up in the list, then it's likely not installed and you should go install any optional import/export filters.  I find it extremely hard to believe it's not there, since I see it mentioned in more than one online help reference for Outlook 2007, including mentions on Microsoft's own support site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290859/en-us
Recognized Contributor
evie210

[ Edited ]
When you export your address book from Comcast webmail what program does it show exported to?

Message Edited by evie210 on 05-26-2008 08:46 PM
Contributor

Comcast exports to my desktop as a .csv file.  However, Outlook 2007 will not accept a .csv file as a file to import. :-(
Recognized Contributor
evie210

[ Edited ]
When you see the file on your desktop is it in Excel?
This is the only thing I can think of because everytime I've exported as csv file it saves it in Excel.

Message Edited by evie210 on 05-26-2008 09:12 PM
Contributor

Yes. it is shown as an excel file with a .csv extension.
Most Valued Poster
Most Valued Poster
Me

wsbridgeman wrote:
Yes. it is shown as an excel file with a .csv extension.

When you import into Outlook 2007 select it as type Comma Seperated Value (windows)...it works just fine...I just tested it.   Now what I did notice is that if I select type Microsoft Excel 97-2003 it doesn't show up in "Browse" unless I first open it in Excel and save as Excel 2003 type file???
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...