Visitor

Forwarding Comcast email to different web email provider

We are completely frustrated with the Comcast Smartzone.  We are not willing to dedicating all of our spare time, or giving up our jobs, to try to figure it out and make it work.  We are stuck with Comcast as the only TV and internet cable service available in our area.   But we are contemplating getting another web-based email service, so that we can access our email anywhere without dealing with the Smartzone "stuff".  I have two questions:

(1)  Would appreciate suggestions on the best/easiest web-based email services.   We just want to send and receive basic emails.  We don't want/need voice mail, alerts, or any other bells and whistles.  I don't mind a few advertisements, as long as they don't overwhelm and dominate the email capability like SmartZone does. 

(2)  If I do sign up for a new email service, I expect to continue to get a lot of emails still addressed to my Comcast address for several months until all correspondents get my new address.  (Especially since email address is used by many accounts as a password.)  Will/can/must Comcast forward emails from my old accounts to my new non-Comcast email address?  If so, for how long? 

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Forwarding Comcast email to different web email provider

SZFrustrated wrote:

We are completely frustrated with the Comcast Smartzone.  We are not willing to dedicating all of our spare time, or giving up our jobs, to try to figure it out and make it work.  We are stuck with Comcast as the only TV and internet cable service available in our area.   But we are contemplating getting another web-based email service, so that we can access our email anywhere without dealing with the Smartzone "stuff".  I have two questions:

(1)  Would appreciate suggestions on the best/easiest web-based email services.   We just want to send and receive basic emails.  We don't want/need voice mail, alerts, or any other bells and whistles.  I don't mind a few advertisements, as long as they don't overwhelm and dominate the email capability like SmartZone does. 

(2)  If I do sign up for a new email service, I expect to continue to get a lot of emails still addressed to my Comcast address for several months until all correspondents get my new address.  (Especially since email address is used by many accounts as a password.)  Will/can/must Comcast forward emails from my old accounts to my new non-Comcast email address?  If so, for how long? 

It is up to you what you choose to use for e-mail.  If you are having specific issues with Smartzone, if you post here, someone will help you. 

As for other e-mail to use- Some use G-mail.  There are others too. Others may reply to your post with other suggestions. I personally have SZ Reg, but also have an e-mail client set up that downloads my mail from the Comcast server to my Outlook Express Inbox.  I also have my e-mail client set to 'leave a copy of my e-mail on the Comcast server' as a back-up.

If you switch to a different service, that service will have the directions for setting it up to work with your ISP (Comcast)  You can have all your e-mail forwarded to that new service.  After you have set up an account, you would go into the Smartzone Preferences tab and set up e-mail forwarding to your new e-mail service account address. (Example:Username@ gmail.com)

You might want to look around at the different e-mail services before you decide.  Do know that most do have ads, but ads can be blocked too. A real E-Mail client, like Outlook Express does not have any ads at all.

If you are maintaining Comcast as your ISP, as I believe you are, Comcast will forward your mail to your e-mail service of choice.  If you were to cancel your Comcast service completely as your ISP, your e-mail would not be forwarded because you would no longer have a Comcast account, or Comcast e-mail address. 

I hope this helps you, and if we can help you with Smartzone problems/questions, please post back.  There are many dedicated Users on this Forum willing to help you. 

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

I have read all the posts re:"issues". which are numerous, with SmartZone. It is more than a learning curve when  a produce is rushed to market in the name of improvment.   Yahoo upgraded their email. While there was a small learning curve, the client was not plagued with problems! A company like Comcast with its vast resources, could and should have beta tested this before shoving it down our throats and letting the chips fall as they may. I for one will be forwarding my comcast email to Gmail.  Nice going Comcast.
Email Expert
JR071702

alarman wrote: 
A company like Comcast with its vast resources, could and should have beta tested this before shoving it down our throats and letting the chips fall as they may.

It actually went through an internal beta test (Comcast employees) only and an external beta test (Comcast customers).  I was a part of the external beta.

JR