Visitor
Accepted Solution

Help - What about Outlook 2011??

I purchased Office:mac 2011 a few months ago which includes Outlook 2011.  Outlook was easy to set up with Comcast account and had been working perfectly until a few days ago.  I did not receive the email notification regarding port changes, but learned about the changes when I began searching Support and Forums on Comcast.  I have followed the instructions for Outlook 2010 as best possible - since the screenshots shown are not the same as in my version of Outlook 2011.   I have both Comcast (POP) and Gmail (IMAP) accounts that were both working fine until a few days ago.  I have changed the servers in both to (first) 995 and 465, and then (when that failed) to 110 and 587. No luck there either.  Both mail accounts appear dead in the water via Outlook and when I try to "send and receive all" I get an error messge that reads:

Authentication failed because Outlook doesn't support any of the available authentication methods

Could not retrieve mail. Account name: "Comcast"

Error Code - 17897

Any suggested solution would be appreciated!!

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Help - What about Outlook 2011??

serenitynow2 wrote:

I purchased Office:mac 2011 a few months ago which includes Outlook 2011.  Outlook was easy to set up with Comcast account and had been working perfectly until a few days ago.  I did not receive the email notification regarding port changes, but learned about the changes when I began searching Support and Forums on Comcast.  I have followed the instructions for Outlook 2010 as best possible - since the screenshots shown are not the same as in my version of Outlook 2011.   I have both Comcast (POP) and Gmail (IMAP) accounts that were both working fine until a few days ago.  I have changed the servers in both to (first) 995 and 465, and then (when that failed) to 110 and 587. No luck there either.  Both mail accounts appear dead in the water via Outlook and when I try to "send and receive all" I get an error messge that reads:

Authentication failed because Outlook doesn't support any of the available authentication methods

Could not retrieve mail. Account name: "Comcast"

Error Code - 17897

Any suggested solution would be appreciated!!

Are you checking "this server requires autentication" Are you enabling SSL on for both Port 465 and 995?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Visitor

I had to "uncheck" ..."Always Use Secure Password".  Now everything is working.  Thanks!

Visitor
donotreply

I have the exact same problem.  Outlook 2011 was working perfectly and then stopped working last week.  I tried unchecking the 'always use secure password' and I still get the "authentication failed" error 17897 code.  I have tried using the help from:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email

and used incoming: 995, outgoing 465 and also 110, 567 with all the boxes checked or unchecked. 

any ideas?

10.8.4 Mac OS

outlook 2011 for Mac 14.3.8