Recognized Contributor
2harts4ever
Accepted Solution

How do I copy or backup my email addresses to an External Drive?

Hi,

A few months back I bought a new computer with Windows 7 64-bit running IE9 after having used another computer running WinXP for about 5 years. 

I have two external hard drives in case the on board  drive decides to die on me. 

Instead of using the Windows Live email program that comes with Win7 I have stuck with the Comcast email program. 

Tonight when I was making new backup images on both of my Externals with Acronis True Image I suddenly realized I had not backed up my email addresses on either External Drive since I bought this new machine running Windows 7 and to make matters worse I don't know how to do it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: How do I copy or backup my email addresses to an External Drive?

2harts4ever wrote:

Hi,

A few months back I bought a new computer with Windows 7 64-bit running IE9 after having used another computer running WinXP for about 5 years. 

I have two external hard drives in case the on board  drive decides to die on me. 

Instead of using the Windows Live email program that comes with Win7 I have stuck with the Comcast email program.

If you've been using Comcast webmail all along there's been nothing to back up. All your email is stored on the Comcast server, not on your computer.

If you want to have a local backup it can be a bit of a pain, but a little searching in the forum here should turn up the info you need on how to do it.

Recognized Contributor
2harts4ever

steve,

I have been searching this forum for just that for about the last hour or so.  So far I have come up empty-handed.

Just so I am making myself clear I am looking for a way to save my Comcast Email contacts to my External Hard Drives.

Regards,

2harts4ever

Bronze Problem Solver

2harts4ever wrote:

steve,

I have been searching this forum for just that for about the last hour or so.  So far I have come up empty-handed.

Just so I am making myself clear I am looking for a way to save my Comcast Email contacts to my External Hard Drives.

Oh, it's good that you clarified, I misunderstood. You did explicitly say you wanted to backup the "email addresses", so it's on me. Fortunately, what you want to do is easy. There seem to be some glitches with the full version vs the lite version of webmail when it comes to importing addresses, but I don't think there's a problem with exporting. So (this is what I see in the "full" version), click on Address Book, then on Export All. Choose an option that includes .csv format, then save the file to your HD. Then back it up.

Recognized Contributor
2harts4ever

Hi Steve,

I have to get off to Sunday services but I just wanted to let you know I had previously tried the solution you suggested in your last response. 

When I do I get the following message when trying to open the saved file: Windows can't open this file .... plaxo_ab_outlook.csv

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

2harts4ever

Email Expert
Latoque

Just a reminder ----------Comcast, or rather Plaxo, automatically backs up your contacts list every week, and you can restore it from there if you ever need to.  Just open your address book, and click on the link at the top "Backup and Restore".  If you have that feature enabled you should get a window listing the dates you can restore from.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Recognized Contributor
2harts4ever

Latoque and all,

I was aware of the automatic Plaxo backup at Comcast.  However, I was interested in being able to put them on an external drive.   After church this morning my son-in-law and grand-son gave me the solution for my problem.

When the window pops up that it can't open the .csv file I select open with a program from my computer.  The .csv is an Excel file (which I don't have) so I select LibreOffice and it does open this .csv file.  I save it to my desktop and then I send it to both of my external hard drives.

It isn't as neat as it was when transferring Outlook Express email addresses but it is better than nothing.

I appreciate all the suggestions and time given to me.  Hopefully my solution might help someone else with the same set of circumstances.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Email Expert
CCCarole

Another good program is: http://www.openoffice.org/

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Recognized Contributor
2harts4ever

Hi CCCarole,

I used to use that program (OpenOffice) when I first went to this new computer but for one reason or the other I couldn't get it to open my M/S Works documents I saved from my previous Win XP computer. 

Someone on another help forum suggested LibreOffice and I have been using it successfully ever since.

I appreciate your imput.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Latoque wrote: ... Comcast, or rather Plaxo, automatically backs up your contacts list every week, and you can restore it from there if you ever need to.  ...

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know such a backup existed.  :smileyshocked:

Email Expert
Latoque

BruceW wrote:

Latoque wrote: ... Comcast, or rather Plaxo, automatically backs up your contacts list every week, and you can restore it from there if you ever need to.  ...

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know such a backup existed.  :smileyshocked:

Until a few days ago I didn't either.  I just stumbled onto it.  It is a nice feature though, I must say.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
New Visitor

I recently lost my hard drive completely and ended-up bying a new HP Envy computer with Windows 8 on it .However I had the tech set it up with access to comcast e-mail. Are my contacts backed up with you? So far Only a few addresses have shown up and some were badly out dated one even had an insight address.

yvonne