Regular Contributor

How to change greeting

I share an email address with my husband and when we receive or send mail it always refers to my name. Does anyone know how to change it so it just greets or shows our email name? Eg. instead of having email come from "Judy" I'd like it to refer to "pjlastname."

Hope this is clear.

Thanks.

Judy

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: How to change greeting

Silverrand wrote:

I share an email address with my husband and when we receive or send mail it always refers to my name. Does anyone know how to change it so it just greets or shows our email name? Eg. instead of having email come from "Judy" I'd like it to refer to "pjlastname."

Hope this is clear.

Thanks.

Judy

Assuming you are using XfinityConnect:  Open XC and click on Preferences.  Now click on Email Manager on the left side.    Highlight which Username you wish to edit- Then scroll down to Primary and you will see the  FROM field:  That is where you can change it.  Click on SAVE after making any changes.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Contributor

Thanks CC. I actually have done this a couple of times. It still comes up with my first name. I restarted my PC hoping it would solve things but to no avail. If you have any other ideas, let me know.

Judy

Official Employee
CC_MikeH

After you save the preferences does it revert back to "Judy" right away or does it take some time?  Have you tried just leaving the "from" option blank in the preferences menu?

Regular Contributor

It doesn't revert back to "Judy" at all. It shows the correct name in the preferences but email still comes to "Judy." I also tried leaving it blank but it still comes to Judy.

Thanks,

J

Service Expert
Bartleby

[ Edited ]

When you say "email still comes to 'Judy' ", if that means thats how mail in your inbox is addressed, that has to do with how someone sending you mail has saved you as a contact, and how their system uses the info.  You can ask specific senders to change that, but it has to be on their end.

For example, I could set up a contact named "Judy", with your address.  That's how mail I send you will appear.  And if I saved your contact info in the past, at a time when your address was identified as "Judy", then that's how mail I send you will look, unless I update my contact info.

I may be off base, but you seem to be talking about mail that is INCOMING to you, not mail you are sending.

Are you seeing the same thing if someone obviously replies to mail you've sent them?  Because that usually will just repeat your address and userid info just as the mail was originally sent.

Regular Contributor

Yes, I thought of that but why is it when I send an email from another isp addressed to the new profile I set up do I still get addressed as Judy? It seems like the memory can't be changed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll ask my friends to change their contact info and hopefully that will help.

Judy