New Visitor

How to get off Comcast "blacklist"

How do you get an IP address removed from Comcast's blacklist? I'm not even sure our IP address is on it, but we haven't been able to send email out to any Comcast email addresses since last Thursday.
Most Valued Poster

Re: How to get off Comcast "blacklist"

> How do you get an IP address removed from Comcast's
> blacklist? I'm not even sure our IP address is on
> it, but we haven't been able to send email out to any
> Comcast email addresses since last Thursday.

And what ISP are you using? How did you post this if you are not a Comcast Customer?
A little clarification is due here.

Naddie
Most Valued Poster
Jason1

When you send an email do you get an error message OR an email that states your message could not be delivered?

If you are a Comcast customer and have been put on a Comcast mailing black-list you would immediately get back an email from the Comcast system stating you are placed on a black-list and the email will provide directions for how to remove yourself from that list. These directions may include a phone # to call or a web-link to fill out and submit to remove your name from the list.

If you are not getting any of the above error messages or returned undeliverable messages, please post back with more info on the situation for assistance. Also, try sending a test message to your own email account and see if you can send and receive the test message. Otherwise, let us know if you are using Outlook Express or comcast.net webmail and what error you are seeing (if any).

Jason
New Visitor

I do have Comcast at home, and have tested sending from inside my company network to my home Comcast account. I get back an "undeliverable". Our company ISP is Broadwing, and apparently spamhaus has the IP assigned to us that we use for MX records on their list.
New Visitor

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am having the same problem. I am a comcast customer for my personal account, but I am unable to send an email to that account from work. Here is the error message I get back:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Test from Work
Sent: 3/10/2004 10:58 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

et.gudgel@comcast.net on 3/10/2004 10:58 AM
There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.

(The actual IP address is listed in the error, but I didn't want to publish it).

We are not a spammer, and are not currently listed on any of the spam registry's that you can search.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

EG
Message was edited by: EricG
Most Valued Poster
Jason1

EricG,

It sounds like your work email ISP was put on the comcast blacklist for email. You may need someone in your work IT staff contact Comcast to release this block by sending an email to blacklist_comcastnet@cable.comcast.com

They should respond to an email from your company and will provide additional information necessary for removing the block.

Jason
New Visitor

It is not Comcast's list - but it is Comcast's IP that is on the list.

I have had similar problems recently. This is due to at least one Comcast email server being identified as a SPAM source. The reciepents are using SPAM filters to block all messages from listed servers.

Following is a response from a corporate IT manager I contacted:

You have been labeled as a SPAM source. I have added you to the
whitelist so you should have no more problems.
Here is the national database that has you listed
http://www.dnsbl.au.sorbs.net/cgi-bin/lookup?js&IP=
Your sending IP address is 204.127.202.56.

Following is the email status returned from the recipents mail server:

Reporting-MTA: dns; comcast.net
Arrival-Date: 10 Mar 2004 6:27:12 +0000

Final-Recipient: rfc822;
Action: failed
Status: 5.1.0 MAIL FROM: 550 REPLY: 550_5.7.1_spam_access_denied;_ip_204.127.202.56;_see_dnsbl.sorbs.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; Permanent Failure: Other address status
Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 06:27:17 -0000

Final-Recipient: rfc822;
Action: failed
Status: 5.1.0 MAIL FROM: 550 REPLY: 550_5.7.1_spam_access_denied;_ip_204.127.202.56;_see_dnsbl.sorbs.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; Permanent Failure: Other address status
Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 06:27:17 -0000

This is turning into a major problem. I have now had emails to several recipents rejected due to the listing in the SPAM databases. Since any public server could easily get caught in a SPAM trap it is only a matter of time before all major email servers are listed. Maybe then IT managers will abandon this simplistic appoach to stop SPAMers.

If Comcast has any way to get us off of these lists it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Most Valued Poster

> It is not Comcast's list - but it is Comcast's IP that is on the list.

You're in the wrong thread. This about mail blocked by Comcast because of blacklisting of external IPs. There are other threads about Comcast IPs being blocked by destination servers. Visit those or start your on thread.
New Visitor

So how does one get on those threads?
Thanks.
Roy
Most Valued Poster
Jason1

I am assuming you are inquiring how to access the other threads in this forum that discuss blacklists. To do this, there is a search field at the top of the forum page you are now looking at. If you supply the word blacklist in the search field then you will receive a list of threads speaking of blacklists. If you have a specific question about blacklists or would like more information about any particular one, you may want to start a new topic with your question and someone will provide you with the information.

Hope this helps but please post back if it doesn't.

Jason