Contributor
Accepted Solution

IMAP email

Comcast has certainly made many improvements to all aspects of their services -- Smartzone and Comcast.net website to name a few.  Does anyone know if Comcast is planning on offering an IMAP version of email in the near future?  With an increasing number of people using multiple devices to access email (home & office computers along with mobile devices), Gmail is rapidly becoming the email of choice because they offer an IMAP email option.  As I find myself in this very situation, I would prefer not to have to switch my email from Comcast to Gmail (or some other IMAP email), and will continue with my Comcast email account if they have IMAP plans.

Service Expert
Again

Re: IMAP email

At this time they don't have any plans for IMAP.
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

New Visitor

This is not helpful!

Why is it taking you so long to enter the modern world.

You seem to be using Zimbra for the web support.  I know zimbra supports IMAP, so what seems to be the problem with you providing that to your users?

Email Expert
JR071702

rodneyweast wrote:

This is not helpful!

Why is it taking you so long to enter the modern world.

You seem to be using Zimbra for the web support.  I know zimbra supports IMAP, so what seems to be the problem with you providing that to your users?

It's not an option that Comcast is going to offer at this time or in the near future.    Get over it.:smileyhappy:

JR

New Visitor

Easy enough fix...no imap = no comast. done.

Too many other choices like Google/Hotmail/etc who all have imap support. 

Companies that can't keep up with the pack will just get left behind. 

Mac Expert
Joel

[ Edited ]

This is a healthy enough attitude. Comcast offers you a free service as a part of your internet service. It is what it is. You don't have to use it, and if it doesn't suit your needs there are certainly enough free offerings available it shouldn't be a problem to set up an account or accounts with one of them. Comcast gains nothing, nor loses anything whether or not you use their email service.

Frankly, with the preponderance of people attempting to manage their email accounts from multiple devices, it would make sense to consider implimenting IMAP support. It would also require a bit of a hardware investment on Comcast's end. Who knows, maybe something is in the works further up the food chain that we don't know about. Comcast doesn't always make a habit of publicizing their future plans. For the time being, users can make suggestions using the link at the bottom of the SmartZone page.

Message Edited by Joel on 01-08-2010 07:35 PM
New Visitor
bsnmore

For folks like me and the original poster of the IMAP question, I gladly take his side.  I just signed back up with ComeeCast and am quite ticked off they don't offer IMAP support for their email.  There would absolutely be no need in the world for them to invest capital into new or bigger hardware so that ASSumption is out the window.  I consult and manage large corporate networks for a living and always go with IMAP and ActiveSync for delivery to all client systems (desktops, laptops, smartphones, etc...).  Never once have I ever had to spend more money to make that happen.

Oh well, I'll just have my lame comeecast email forward my ebill to my Gmail account.  Gmail is another "free" service that allows IMAP...nice ;-)

Here's a suggestion - open the firewall ports and configure the lame email server to send/receive using IMAP...DONE.  Now let's go have a beer shall we?

New Visitor
bigcabdaddy

Add me to the list wanting imap support. Unfortunately, I didn't think everything through years ago when we first signed up with comcast and have given out my comcast email address as my main one for years. That makes it difficult to move to another better option at this point in time. But ultimately it may be my only recourse as it is awkward to have to check comcast email apart from all my other addresses.

New Visitor
pantherfan

no imap? in 2011? i guess i shouldn't be surprised, but i am...

New Visitor

It's not "free".  Nothing is free if is contingent on paying for another service.  Comcast promotes email as part of their service and has taken great effort in making email a featured part of their offering. It would be a good thing for Comcast to implement IMAP as without it their customers who need it are going to move their email to a service that does.  By supporting IMAP, Comcast will make it less likely for customers to establish IMAP accounts elsewhere which also makes it simpler to move to a new ISP since you have cut the ties to the comcast.net domain.

New Visitor
bigcabdaddy

I simply forward all email to a google account now. Not sure that's the sort of solution Comcast wants to promote, but it works.
Contributor

I agree with your comments, especially when you clarify the part about what is/isn't free.  If Comcast were to try selling a home Internet service without an email component, FIOS would gain customers pretty quickly.  As with some others, I too would like to see IMAP offered since I access my email from multiple devices at multiple locations.

New Visitor
hoodslide

"No need to invest capital"?  Do you get how IMAP works?  The reason you can access it from multiple devices is because your email, attachments, etc are stored on the server.  You don't get much storage space as part of your comcast account, which means that you'd have to continually prune your email, buy more space (if they even allow that), or... switch to GMail (or even better, fastmail.fm).

So, if they "just turned on IMAP" like you brainiacs are suggesting, the support lines would be even more swamped, with "folks like you" complaining about out of space errors.  Why should they do something that'd cost them money and upset their customer base?

Contributor

Thanks for your prompt and courteous reply.  I am sure that someone will find it interesting, if not beneficial.

Email Expert
CCCarole

FWIW- 

Smartzone gives you 10GB's of storage space.  You may want to check out this link, which goes into a bit of information of what the switch over to Xfinityconnect is going to have when it is released (soon).  LINK

You should also have received a Service Announcement email about Xfinityconnect too.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
mirollin

at ~200 a month I wouldn't say that comcast is doing any favors like free email. We call that part of a paid service

Contributor
ryansosebee

Just my 3 cents.  I agree that IMAP would be great.  I hate having to read my email on my work computer.  Then go home and read\delete it all over again.  If you want to keep something it keeps it as new on the server so then when you check your mail on the website (I only check it there about once a month) you have to clear and delete everything all over again.  IMAP or a sync tool would help a lot. 

New Visitor
b-farrell

No IMAP makes it impractical to consolidate all your e-mail into one place as Comcast is promoting. Rather behind the times in the end. As it is, cannot check e-mail when away from the desk unless I log in to Comcast. I can do that from the phone, but, really a lot easier if I could just check it, reply to what's needed using IMAP. Then when back at the desk, do routine cleaning, replying and most importantly, archiving in Outlook. POP3 to the phone? No thanks. The way it is now, just to much effort, to messy, to outdated technology. Better to consolidate Comcast to Gmail.