Contributor
Ilbbrief

IMAP or POP Mail Servers Not Responding

I have an issue when attempting to connect to mail IMAP or POP Servers when I am at home where I have Comcast internet.  I do not have the same difficulty when I am on Qwest, which I have at my office, or when I am connected to the internet via my 3G mobile hotspot.  I only have the issue  when I am connected to the internet via Comcast.  No one at Comcast Customer Service seems to be able to solve my problem, they keep thinking its great that I can connect to the internet, go to Comcast, or Google, or AOL and log in to my email accounts via browser.  Can anyone suggest a solution, besides changing my home internet access to Qwest, which I am considering.

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: IMAP or POP Mail Servers Not Responding

Can't really help without details.  What IMAP or POP server are you having trouble with?  What ports are you using?  What email client?

I have no trouble with multiple IMAP and POP servers here, using several email clients on different platforms.  Outlook 2003, WLM, and Thunderbird on Windows 7, Mac Mail on OS X, iPad and iPhone Mail apps, etc. Using IMAP to Gmail and MobileMe, POP to Comcast and Hotmail.

Contributor
Ilbbrief

I am using Mail on my ipad2. Ive tried ports 25, 993, 587. Trying to set up gmail. My only POP account seems to be working now after my modem was reset.
Bronze Problem Solver

Ilbbrief wrote:
I am using Mail on my ipad2. Ive tried ports 25, 993, 587. Trying to set up gmail. My only POP account seems to be working now after my modem was reset.

Port 25 might be blocked.

Have you done this? Also, port 993 requires SSL.

Port 587 requires authentication.

Networking Expert
Baric

You're mixing your ports here.  25 and 587 are used for SMTP, not IMAP.  

For IMAP, use 143 for an unsecured connection, and 993 for an SSL secured connection.  Certain individual server may be setup to use non-standard ports, but only you can only get that information from the server admins.

As for SMTP, I would avoid using port 25, it tends to get blocked in many places.  Stick with 587 or 465 with SSL.  And always use outgoing password authentication.

Contributor
Ilbbrief

Thank you. I will give those a try.