Contributor

IMAP support for comcast email

How do I add IMAP support to my comcast email

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: IMAP support for comcast email

IMAP is not available with Comcast at this time. 

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

I have Windows 7 and I'm using Xfinity Comcast email. When I attempt to forward pictures as attachments I get a message that I need IMAP in my email program to open it up.

Bob

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

IMAP is a mail protocol that shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not you can open specific files. Opening images or document should depend on which applications you have installed on your computer.

In any case, IMAP connections are not provided to Comcast residential customers at this time.

Where are you getting the notice that you need IMAP? If you are using the web-based Xfinity Connect system and try to forward a message that has a photo, that should work.

Are you clicking on a photo on your computer to email it to someone and being prompted to set up an email client (such as Outlook or Windows Mail) on your computer? That might ask for IMAP as a default but can handle POP. That is starting your message with the image.

An alternative to setting up the email client is to compose your message in the web-based Xfinity Connect and attach the picture there.

So try to start by being in Xfinity Connect and creating a message and then attach the picture. 

New Visitor
glsanjose

How do I add IMAP to my email account ? I have waited on the phone for over an hour only to be asked by tech support what IMAP was and if I had a comcast account. Then I was transfered to some one who hanged up ...terrible service.

Email Expert
Latoque

glsanjose wrote:

How do I add IMAP to my email account ? I have waited on the phone for over an hour only to be asked by tech support what IMAP was and if I had a comcast account. Then I was transfered to some one who hanged up ...terrible service.

Comcast does not support IMAP at this time for residential customers, only POP.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
New Visitor
glsanjose

Thank you.

New Visitor

That's really sad considering how long this has been an issue.  I've seen posts about this issue with Comcast going back to 2008.  5 years not long enough to get a handle on this or am I missing something?

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

IMAP is in beta testing, but that is it so far.

You can always use another email program that supports IMap instead of using XfinityConnect.

GMail is just one that offers iMap.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor

Yeah, but it's one less service I'm getting from Comcast for my money.  And the disruption of changing my email address to my contacts.  Disappointing.

Email Expert
CCCarole

screenname25 wrote:

Yeah, but it's one less service I'm getting from Comcast for my money.  And the disruption of changing my email address to my contacts.  Disappointing.

I am sure you already know that you don't have to use XfinityConnect for your email.  You can use any email program you like.  If you should set up say, Gmail, you can have all your email forwarded to it and not use XfinityConnect at all.

If you choose to forward all email to Gmail, for example, you don't have to change your email address at all.

You can also set up an email client to Leave copies of your email on the server, if you choose to do that.

CC

To see how to forward email:  Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences>Email, and scroll down to Forwarding.  Click on the link to set up email forwarding.

New Visitor
bkeydel

My wife just got a Windows 8 laptop computer.  We are trying to set up the email tile to work with our comcast account.  The email client on windows 8 requires IMAP or EAS.  Has comcast caught up with the changing technology? 

Email Expert
CCCarole

Users with Windows 8 who choose to use the native email client can
opt-in to our Xfinity Connect Beta program to gain IMAP access to their
comcast.net account. The URL for the registration site is https://xcbetasignup.comcast.net/
Once registered your account will be moved to our Beta platform and will
be accessible via IMAP within 72 hours.

New Visitor
kszczerba

Comcast -- is IMAP support even on your roadmap????  You are forcing all of your Microsoft users to drop Comcast email and go to GMail

Email Expert
Latoque

You can get the beta sign-up for IMAP here----------

https://xcbetasignup.comcast.net/imap_trial/web/

Once you sign up you are supposed to get a confirmation email about 24 hours later.  It's supposed to take 72 hours to kick in.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.