Regular Visitor
Accepted Solution

Incoming email rejected: Account not available (state 17).

[ Edited ]

Long story short: On Thursday, Comcast moved my wife's email address (which had been left behind at our previous Comcast account 5 years ago when we moved) to our current Comcast account.  The email address now shows up as a secondary account on our current account, but since the "move" any inbound email to ANY of the comcast.net email addresses on our account generate delivery failures:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

xxxxxxxxxxxx@comcast.net

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 <xxxxxxxxxx@comcast.net> Account not available (state 17).

I created a new secondary account to see if it would be able to receive mail, but it also generates a failure with "Not our Customer (state 14)." whenever sending email to that address.

The bottom line is that we've been losing any incoming email since Thursday, and Comcast has not been able to resolve it to-date (citing the turnaround time on tickets they create).  If my mail was queuing somewhere, I'd be a bit more patient, but we're losing all incoming mail as the hours pass by.

And any attempt to access SmartZone results in:

Email currently unavailable

If you have reached this page during the following time below, the system is currently under maintenance. Please try again after the timeframe indicated:

February 20th 1-6 am EST and February 21st 1-6am EST

If you have received this error outside the above maintenance timeframe, please contact Comcast Support by calling 1-800-Comcast or chat with a live Comcast care representative.

Please reference error code: 400.

If anyone has had this happen before, or someone from Comcast can intervene, the family would be appreciative.  Thanks.

Message Edited by bdavid3456 on 02-22-2009 11:11 AM
Message Edited by bdavid3456 on 02-22-2009 11:11 AM
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: Incoming email rejected: Account not available (state 17).

I've nudged to have someone look at it.

I also suggest you contact Comcast again and remind them that there is a problem. Include the ticket number you received and note that you've been patient.

Regular Visitor

I did just talk to Comcast again and they now say they are still working on it and it will still take yet another 24 hours to resolve.  Plenty of apologies along the way, but I can't imagine what the nature of the problem is.
Service Expert
Moms_hooked

bdavid...beth did do a nudge but since it was the weekend please be patient.  Welcome to the forums and please keep checking back in here and let us know what happens.

Moms...

Regular Visitor

It seemed that they had inbound mail working for 1 of 3 email addresses on our account earlier today, but once again it's being returned undeliverable.  I didn't have the mental energy to talk to the unempowered frontline Comcast reps today to complain further.  That will be tomorrow's battle.

It's very disappointing overall, since I've actually been a very happy customer for the last 10 years.  This is a lesson in why not to use ISP email accounts, I suppose.

Thanks to everyone who was nudging on my behalf.  It's all I can ask for here on the forums.

Official Employee
ComcastAnthony

[ Edited ]

Hello bdavid3456,

We found and fixed some minor issues with your uids.  They should all be working now.  You do have forwarding set up for 2 of the ids so keep that in mind when sending and receiving.  Please post back and let us know if the problem is fixed or if you are still experiencing some error.

Message Edited by aorapal on 02-24-2009 01:54 PM
Regular Visitor

We do seem to be back in business now.  Mail is not rejected, we can access SmartZone, and all seems well.  We did enable forwarding just in case things started working again, but we may not be able to access the mail.

Was there anything specific about the problems I can note for future reference in case I run into the same problem again?

Thanks for the help.

Regular Problem Solver
slouke

Bdavid3456.

You won't have this problem again - you'll have a different problem next time...  :smileyshocked::smileylaugh::smileywink::smileysilly:

Official Employee
ComcastAnthony

bdavid3456 wrote:

We do seem to be back in business now.  Mail is not rejected, we can access SmartZone, and all seems well.  We did enable forwarding just in case things started working again, but we may not be able to access the mail.

Glad to hear to it.

Was there anything specific about the problems I can note for future reference in case I run into the same problem again?

No, not really.  It was a bit of a unique situation.

Thanks for the help.

You're very welcome.