New Visitor
ajca

Keeping @comcast.net address after cancelation

Hey guys!

What happens to my comcast.net e-mail address after I cancel my subscription for all comcast services?

Email Expert
JR071702

Re: Keeping @comcast.net address after cancelation

ajca wrote:

Hey guys!

What happens to my comcast.net e-mail address after I cancel my subscription for all comcast services?

It goes bye-bye...although it cannot be used by anyone else for 90 days.    It's best to get a freebie e-mail like Yahoo.com or Gmail.com if you are planning to cancel your Comcast service.

JR

New Visitor
ajca

The opinion on this varies greatly across different forums.

Some people canceled Comcast years ago and still have there e-mail address. Some people had it for a few months, and a few people guessed that it went bye-bye (the people who said it went bye-bye were generally the ones who guessed, and had no personal experience.)

Any ideas?

Email Expert
JR071702

ajca wrote:

The opinion on this varies greatly across different forums.

Some people canceled Comcast years ago and still have there e-mail address. Some people had it for a few months, and a few people guessed that it went bye-bye (the people who said it went bye-bye were generally the ones who guessed, and had no personal experience.)

Any ideas?

Ajca,I am not "guessing".   This is what the Comcast admins/mods have said here in the past.    The time of actual cleanup may vary - you may lose the e-mail address the day after cancellation or you may have access to it for a period of time.

But, officially, the time you can count on access to that @comcast.net address after cancellation is the day of cancellation.

I have never heard of people having access to their @comcast.net e-mail address years after cancelling their HSI service.

BTW, if I still have Comcast HSI service, why would I have personal experience of how long my e-mail address lasted after cancellation.:smileyconfused:

JR

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

In 2007, I cancelled Comcast services. As soon as the disconnect was done, it was immediate. At the moment of disconnect, everything tied to my Comcast user names went bye-bye.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
ajca

Thank you.

New Visitor
becjackson

I was told by comcast that my e-mail would remain active for 30 days following cancellation.  My e-mail lasted 7 days.  I've contacted comcast many times since to get my account re-activated - no luck yet.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

You probably won't have any luck getting it re-activated. Your user names are tied to your Comcast account. When your servide is cancelled, your account no longer exists-all user names associated with the account also no longer exist.

It seems to be a roll of the dice as to how long you can access your mail after cancellation.

Fortunately, I use an email client, so all of my email was stored on my computer, not the Comcast mail server. To anyone who is planning to cancel Comcast and uses SmartZone for mail access, the thing to do is to set up an email client to work with Comcast mail BEFORE you cancel and download mail to the client.

If you have folders in SZ, set up the same folders in your client.

Create a folder called temp. After the inbox downloads, move all mail to that folder.

Next go to SZ, and doing one folder at a time, move the messages to the inbox, open up your client, download those, move them to the folder you created earlier.

After all folders have been downloaded, you can move mail from the temp folder back to the inbox.

You can also export your SZ address book, then import it into your client.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.