Contributor
LH12

Linux Ubuntu: Comcast Email Does Not Work

I've just built a new computer and installed Linux Ubuntu - the first time I've tried Ubuntu.  While I'm new to Ubuntu, I'm familiar with computers and Windows.  I like Ubuntu so far, but the inability to get Comcast email to work with it has me tempted to go back to Windows.

Comcast email doesn't work, either through Smartzone webmail, or using an email program like Thunderbird or Evolution.  All other email (Yahoo, Google) works fine.  But not Comcast.

I've spent two days on this problem and tried everything I could find - nothing works.

Is anyone using Ubuntu with Comcast mail and getting it to work?   I called Comcast support, and their answer was "not supported."

I have managed to get Thunderbird to send emails, but neither it nor anything else receives emails.

When trying to login to receive emails with Thunderbird, I get "Host Contacted, sending login information" and then after an extended delay get an error message: "Sending of password did not succeed.  Mail server mail.comcast.net responded: invalid username/password".

However, my username and password that I'm entering are correct (they work with a Windows computer and Thunderbird Windows).

I've tried every coombination of setup settings suggested by Comcast, and by others (there are lots of combinations), and nothing works.

With SmartZone, I get the login screen and can enter my username and password, but then the screen just freezes with a blank.  I've tried clearing cache, cookies, you name it, and it still doesn't work.

I can't figure out what's wrong, except that maybe Comcast rejects any login attempt from an Ubuntu machine.  Is that true?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks for your input.

Les

Networking Expert
kevj

Re: Linux Ubuntu: Comcast Email Does Not Work

I just tested SmartZone using Firefox 3.6.6 on Ubuntu  10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) and it works fine, at least from a login perspective. I didn't go any further as the current problem relates to logging in.

Testing some other access methods now....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Contributor
LH12

Kevj:

Thanks for your help.

Do you have any ideas how can I determine the source of my problem, with the goal of finding a solution?

Tx,

Les

Regular Problem Solver
cjortega

Hi Les,

I just setup Evolution on a laptop running Ubuntu v10.4, and had only one problem, which I corrected.

Please list how you have the program set up, and I will try to advise.  :smileycool:

--
Claude
Contributor
LH12

Thanks CJOrtega.

My suspicion is there's something in Ubuntu that's set wrong - though I have no idea what.

I tried EVERY possible setting in Thunderbird and nothing allowed me to log on to receive email (however I did get it to send email).

Here are some of the settings I tried (a partial list):

These are the settings I use on my Windows computers, that work fine on all of them (but NOT at all on Ubuntu):

Server Type: POP

server name: pop3.comcast.net (also tried mail.comcast.net and pop.comcast.net)

port: 110 (also tried many others suggested by others)

user name: my user name (also tried it with the @comcast.net domain added)

connection security: STARTTLS (also tried "None" and "SSL)

Use secure connection: unchecked (also tried checked)

As noted, I spent about 2 days going through every permutation I could think of, but nothing worked.

The predominant error message whatever the setting is as noted in my first posting, that the Comcast server is rejecting my username/password login.

Also tried Evolution with all the same permutations and same results.

Thanks.

Regular Problem Solver
cjortega

I don't use Thunderbird, tho I do have it installed on this WinXp computer. It was working a while back, before the latest updates. So, I tried to connect, and failed.

I found that I had to set it to auto detect the systems proxy setting, then it worked.

( Tools/ Options/ Network&disk space/ connection ( settings ))

Incoming, Pop, mail.comcast.net, port 110, No secuity.

Outgoing smtp.comcast.net, port 465, ssl/tls.

--
Claude
Contributor
LH12

Claude,

Thanks, I'll try this as soon as I get back home (tonight or tomorrow am) and will report back.

The auto detect proxy settings are in Thunderbird itself or in Ubuntu?

Les

Regular Problem Solver
cjortega

[ Edited ]

LH12 wrote:

Claude,

Thanks, I'll try this as soon as I get back home (tonight or tomorrow am) and will report back.

The auto detect proxy settings are in Thunderbird itself or in Ubuntu?

Les

This might be a false trail, as I am using privoxy on the WinXp system and a direct connection in Ubuntu.

But it is something to check.

In Ubuntu, Preferences/Network Proxy is where that parameter is set, then Thunderbird is set to read this parameter.

( And they keep saying that computers will make life simpler.  :smileylaugh: )

--
Claude
Contributor
LH12

At some point ONE of these false trails I've followed should work.

I hope.

Thanks.

Contributor
LH12

I couldn't get the auto proxy configuration to make any difference, still get the error message re username/password being wrong.

Les

Regular Problem Solver
cjortega

LH12 wrote:

I couldn't get the auto proxy configuration to make any difference, still get the error message re username/password being wrong.

Les

OK, next step. 'Tools', 'Options', select the 'Security' tab, select the 'Passwords' tab, click on the 'Saved Passwords' button.

Delete the username/password for your comcast account. exit back to the Thunderbird main page and qiut. Restart Thunderbird and reenter the username and password.

--
Claude
Contributor
LH12

Claude,

Thank you.  Tried this, still same error.

Email Expert

My suspicion is that this is firewall related. If you have the Linux firewall enabled, can you try disabling it and see if that gets around the problem?

I'm not suggesting this as a permanent solution, just a test. If it gets around it, we can then try to narrow down what part of the firewall config is blocking you.

Contributor
LH12

Does the Linux firewall install automatically with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS?  I did not intentionally install a firewall.  How do I tell if I have one and how do I disable it?  Sorry, I know nothing about Ubuntu and am having a hard time figuring it out so far.

Thanks.

Regular Problem Solver
cjortega

LH12 wrote:

Does the Linux firewall install automatically with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS?  I did not intentionally install a firewall.  How do I tell if I have one and how do I disable it?  Sorry, I know nothing about Ubuntu and am having a hard time figuring it out so far.

Thanks.

sudo ufw status

Mine shows inactive.

--
Claude
Contributor
LH12

Status inactive here, Claude.

Did something happen during Ubuntu installation and maybe I should just try reinstalling it?

Contributor
LH12

Just a thought - my password has a special character in it (not a number or letter), is Ubuntu going to have a problem with that?  Could that be the issue?

Email Expert

Special characters in passwords shouldn't be a problem. And if it were, it would be application-specific, not OS-wide.

Email Expert

At this point, I suggest enabling Thunderbird POP logging and/or doing Wireshark packet captures.

Contributor
LH12

Guess what !!!!

I was looking on the wrong side of the equation.

I went to my Comcast account (through my Windows machine) and changed my password to remove the special character (before I got your reply).

I used Ubuntu Thunderbird to long on - and it worked immediately.   Curious.

Then I changed my password back to include the special character.

And it still works.

There was something weird about the Comcast configuration it seems, not the Ubuntu configuration.

I'm still having trouble getting webmail to work through Smartzone, but at least I have Thunderbird to retrieve emails.

Any suggestions on the Smartzone webmail issue?

Thanks much everyone.

Email Expert

LH12 wrote:

There was something weird about the Comcast configuration it seems, not the Ubuntu configuration.

I thought you said it worked from Windows, which seemed to rule out a problem at the Comcast end.

Email Expert

Does webmail work if you switch to SmartZone Lite?

Contributor
LH12

It did work fine through Windows.  No problems ever.

But changing my password on the Comcast site also enabled to work through Ubuntu.

I can't explain why.

Contributor
LH12

Tried that and the answer is no, Smartzone Lite doesn't work.

Email Expert

It could be that editing the password in TB cleared up whatever problem it was having.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot SmartZone still not working, though. Its use of AJAX makes it a pain to debug.

Contributor
LH12

However, I now have Smartzone Lite working, sort of ...

First, this only works with Smartzone Lite (for me), not regular Smartzone.

I go to comcast.net and choose the "email" optionl

The page freezes blank (as before).

However, I right click the page, and choose "View Page Info, Security, View Cookies."

I highlight ALL cookies except the first one "JSESSIONID'.

I then go back to the webpage and hit the refresh icon.

Smartzone Lite comes up (not always it seems).

Maybe this will help flush out what's causing the problem.  Obviously this is not a good way to get email ongoing, as it's cumbersome and slow.

Contributor
LH12

I want to thank everyone for the kind help and support they have provided on this forum.

I now have reliable email via Ubuntu Thunderbird (though I still haven't succeeded with Comcast webmail).

Half a loaf is way better than no loaf, however, and I really am enjoying the speed, efficiency and reliability of Ubuntu.  It's not always as friendly as I'd like, but I need some time getting used to it also.

Thanks again.

Les