New Visitor

Mac OS X Mail - not getting mail

Beginning yesterday, I have not been able to receive any email to my comcast e-mail address. I am using the Mac OS X mail program, and I've never had any problems until yesterday. It check for email, and nothing comes through- but it does not report any errors. I then check through the comcast.net website, and I did have mail. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks
Bronze Star Contributor

Re: Mac OS X Mail - not getting mail

There may be a corrupt message in your mailbox on the mail server.

Go to www.comcast.net and sign in then click on Mail. When your mail account opens, delete any messages you don't need or look suspicious, especially spam.

Then see if you can download in Mac mail. If you can, you've deleted the problem message. If you can't, back at the web mail window move a message or a block of messages to another folder, say the Draft folder. Then see if you can download in Mac mail.

Repeat this step until you're able to download in Mac mail.
New Visitor

Hello,
I am having the same exact problem. Mail programme just hangs on "Preparing to retrieve messages" and then stops or times out. Any help????
Thanks,
John
New Visitor

Yes, I have been having the same problem. Originally it was on my son's account that I set up through mine. With his I finally had to change his email address. This time it is my main address which is not getting mail. No changes were done on my end and I am an experienced user. I know Comcast made upgrades. It seems anytime they do that it knocks mac users off! I can access my mail through the web page only on a PC! My mac access through the web site lists my mail but I can't open them. Also the new name that I set up for my son is no longer listed in my account! It has reverted to his old name that didn't work! Has anyone had feedback from comcast about this?
New Visitor

Thank you! I removed the PayPal emails and my account is flowing again! I am wondering if they were bogus emails. They did say that account was about to run out and asked for personal information to renew. I did not go to the renewal site they listed.Could this all be a bogus paypal set up to get everyones information? BEWARE!!!
New Visitor

Unbelieveable! After trying for several hours over multiple days to debug why I suddenly stopped receiving email (Mac Mail app) - including live chat with a Comcast analyst who told me that Comcast doesn't support Mac Mail, and some trawling of the recent forums - this thread solved it.

Apparently that very official looking notice from PayPal - which doesn't even appear bogus, it just says to log into my account and verify my info - is also somehow corrupt! I moved it to the Trash and voila, my INBOX is unstuck... I'm going to have a look at the source of the message via webmail - if it's not fraud then PayPal needs to know that it is screwing its customers accidentally.

Thanks for the help,
Alex
Most Valued Poster

Yeah, they don't support Mac Mail. But apparently don't support RFC 822 either, or many of these messages wouldn't be there. That PayPal message has pretty ubiquitous and others, particularly spam, cause problems with malformed headers. If it happens again with other mail, follow the move messages to another folder routine to free up pop download and find the offending message.
New Visitor

I have this same experience with my Comcast email accounts. I am an experienced user (actualy a web developer), and have had this happen for at least 6 months now. If I log on to Comcast.net and check my mail and delete items, it then starts working again with Mac OS X Mail. It is a pain in the b*tt as it seems I have to do this every 3 or 4 days.

I have other email accounts that I retreive through OS X Mail, including my company email (through a hosting company), and mac.com account ... both of these always work fine. It is just the Comcast accounts that don't.

If I am not receiving email and login on our PC, the mail will come through.

It makes no sense that you have to repeatedly do this on a Mac.
New Visitor

This has been happening to me for almost 4 months now. As mentioned the hang is on one or more spam messages, paypal is one, which cloggs mails ability to retrieve ANY messages.

I have followed many forums on this subject, including apple's own, and there appears to be no fix except to login by web mail and delete the offending message. This has become such a consistant problem for me that I have moved to Entourage for recieving email with complete success. I use Mail for sending emails, as it's linked to my address book.

Its a sad situation as I like Mail, but I can't be questioning whether I've recieved all my mail or not.
Message was edited by: montyson
New Visitor

Problem is not with Mac OS X Mail, but with 'Brightmail" screener assigning a date to spam that doesn't match, so Mail can't pick it up. It usually is the primary account and if you open a more complex named secondary accout it won't be a problem for Mail. Just let the old primary account load up with spam till Comcast get the hint!
Message was edited by: DocDeth
Most Valued Poster

Where did you get that idea? Brightmail does not modify the headers. And doesn't match what? The date in the message has no bearing on whether it's downloaded.

You've posted your primary/secondary theory a number of times now without any basis for it. The primary is no more likely to attract spam than any of the other accounts. It's more a function of the email-id chosen than whether it's classified as primary or secondary. And even that can be changed.
Bronze Star Contributor

If I understand DocBeth correctly the idea is to create a secondary email id that's significantly more randomized than one's primary email id is likely to be.

j4uud8dsjh3k@somedomain.net will likely attract far less spam than redsox@somedomain.net, hence a greatly reduced incidence of stuck spam.
Contributor

So, those of us using mail.app are basically screwed then? I don't get stalled mail retrieval every couple of days ... I get it every couple of *hours.* I'm left with changing my mail client, changing my address, or dumping Comcast. Is everyone using mail.app having this problem? Is it specific to 10.2.x? Are there any 10.3 users reading this, and are you having this problem?
Contributor

Just had a very unhelpful live chat session on this issue, but did glean this: the rep claimed a "security feature" on the Comcast mail server prevents "corrupt" email from being downloaded (to prevent delivery of a virus payload), and that this was Good For Me, and that I should appreciate it. Never mind A) all that "corrupt" email and the virus payloads are aimed at Windows machines and that this doesn't help any Mac user I'm aware of, and that :smileycool: it happens way more often than once out of every 20 spam (a figure claimed by the rep), and that C) something like this should be configurable by the user. If I don't want spam filtering, I can turn it off*. If I _want_ to download email Comast thinks is corrupt, I should be able to.

If this is important to you, write to Comcast and complain about it.

http://www.comcast.net/memberservices/contactus/contact_us.jsp

*I did try turning server-side spam filtering off to see if that would permit me to retrieve mail without it stalling every couple of hours. No dice.
Most Valued Poster

> If I understand DocBeth correctly the idea is to
> create a secondary email id that's significantly more
> randomized than one's primary email id is likely to
> be.

Well that's true. But the reverse is also true. The implication was that there was something unique about the primary to make more susceptible. But can you make the primary anything you want. It doesn't have to be your throwaway mail account.
New Visitor

I am also curious about whether upgrading to 10.3 would help........this is clearly a problem for a lot of us Mac users, and like all of you, i very much prefer using mail.app (and like many of you, it was working just fine with comcast until about a month ago!!)

i am waiting for my IT folks to provide me with the 10.3 disk to upgrade......crossing my fingers that it helps!!
Mac Expert
Joel

I have to say, after upgrading to Panther about 2 months ago, I can't say I remember having the "stuck Message" problem, although, my culprit was PayPal, which I now have sent to a webmail (Excite) account, and I've never received much spam as I've been extremely careful with my email addy. My point is, I can't say with any certainty whether or not an upgrade to Panther will cure the problem.
Contributor

This is interesting (it comes from the header of an email that I couldn't download):

"X-Comment: Sending client does not conform to RFC822 minimum requirements
X-Comment: Date has been added by Maillennium"

After some testing, any email with this info in the header doesn't download. Spam that lacks this header info *does* download. Maillennium is a server-side spam cop. Not saying that's causing the problem, but it's suggestive.
New Visitor

Me too, me too, for about a month. I am soooooooooo sick of having to get my mail at Comcast. I like Apple's Mail. Comcast, there has to be a fix for this.
Most Valued Poster

> This is interesting (it comes from the header of an
> email that I couldn't download):
>
> "X-Comment: Sending client does not conform to RFC822
> minimum requirements
> X-Comment: Date has been added by Maillennium"
>
> After some testing, any email with this info in the
> header doesn't download. Spam that lacks this header
> info *does* download. Maillennium is a server-side
> spam cop. Not saying that's causing the problem, but
> it's suggestive.

There's a ton of discussion in this forum on this issue. Those header fields do not by themselves cause the "stuck" mail problem. Turn off your AV incoming email scanning, or turn on SSL for incoming mail.
New Visitor

Weird. I have about 6 email addresses and just got this problem on one of them. I'm using OS X 10.3.3. SSL isn't helping. The Comcast spam filters are off.

I actually was checking an address for an account I created a year ago but then never set up. Somehow it got 100 spam messages (how did that happen if I never used it?) I deleted them all but a few test message I sent to myself and I still can't get mail to get the test messages from that account.

:smileysad:
New Visitor

Okay, checked in the Mac forum and found a reference to this:
http://faq.comcast.net/faq/answer.jsp?name=17805&cat=Email&subcategory=1

So I moved the few messages I had into the sentmail folder and found that it was the Comcast Welcome Email that was stuck! After I moved that from the Inbox, I received all the other messages fine.

Crazy. Stupid.
New Visitor

I get very little spam, mostly through use of a "decoy" account on yahoo.com for use when entering my e-mail address online. I started getting spam not long after Comcast took over from AT&T, and we're still getting it despite opting out *in person* at a Comcast local office. I'm looking into a reputable DSL solution in my area, the prices are about half what Comcast charges (I don't get their cable TV service, which subtracts $10).

Doug
Most Valued Poster

> I get very little spam, mostly through use of a
> "decoy" account on yahoo.com for use when entering my
> e-mail address online. I started getting spam not
> long after Comcast took over from AT&T, and we're
> still getting it despite opting out *in person* at a
> Comcast local office. I'm looking into a reputable
> DSL solution in my area, the prices are about half
> what Comcast charges (I don't get their cable TV
> service, which subtracts $10).

Doug

Doug, have you disabled your ATTBI account? That can be done you know. Some of the local offices are stricktly for business and they know nada about tech support. A good tech support agent would have helped you out.

Go here to get the info that you need to stop your ATTBI mail from coming to you.

http://faq.comcast.net/faq/answer.jsp?name=17799

Good idea with the Yahoo account, I also do that.

Please select a nifty username by going here. And DO NOT use the first part of your e-mail address.

http://forums.comcast.net/editprofile!default.jspa

Naddie
New Visitor

Hahahaha! (It''s either laugh or cry at this pointl) I just tried the move-messages-to a-temp-folder routine.

Guess which one got stuck: the test message I sent myself to try this advice with!!!!

I wish someone knew what to do. I want my mail. I want to use Apple's mail program. I am beginning *not* to want Comcast.

Evelyn