Contributor

Missing Left Column with List of Folders & Inbox-Sent-Trash etc.

Suddenly the left column is missing on my web-based email page.  The entire left column is blank.  No listing for Inbox, Sent, Trash, and all my file folders.  How do I recover this column?  Thanks, Tim_in_Golden_CO 

Contributor

Re: Missing Left Column with List of Folders & Inbox-Sent-Trash etc.

Further to the problem, I just noticed that websites listed in the body of my emails are no longer hyperactive... I can no long click on them to go to a website.  Need help.  Tim_in_GoldenCO

Contributor

OK, the left column is back after missing for about 24 hours and about a dozen logins.  Not sure what happened.  But to the Genie that fixed it... thanks.

Contributor
Rosemary34

This same thing has happened to me....I am looking all over for them..any help out there to solve this mystery?

Contributor

Problem Returned...[Re:Missing Left Column with List of Folders & Inbox-Sent-Trash

The problem is back... very frustrating.  No listings in the left column for the listing Inbox, Sent, Trash, Spam, etc.

Email Expert
JR071702

Re: Problem Returned...[Re:Missing Left Column with List of Folders & Inbox-Sent-

Tim_in_GoldenCO wrote:

The problem is back... very frustrating.  No listings in the left column for the listing Inbox, Sent, Trash, Spam, etc.

Try this from the Inbox Preview - it works for me within my work network (where something in that initial load is being blocked, causing the left-hand column to disappear.

From the Inbox Preview screen, click on the Preferences button or the Edit Preferences link.    That should take you to the Preferences screen with a visible left-hand column.

From there, click on EMail on the top black bar (not in the Preferences menu).   This should take you to your Inbox with the left-hand column intact.

JR

Contributor

Re: Problem Returned...[Re:Missing Left Column with List of Folders & Inbox-Sent-

JR,

Thank you.  That did put the folders back into the left column.  Another problem I mentioned in one of the follow up posts is that web listing links are no longer active... they are not blue and I can't click on them to go to a web site.  I receive and read several newspapers by email each day and go to the article by simply clicking on the web listing.  At the same time the column of folders went missing the web sites were no longer active.  Any idea what is causing this? 

Contributor

Back [Re: Problem Returned.[Re:Missing Left Column with List of Folders & Inbox

Problem is back and worse:  The left panel column is not populated and now when I click on the Email Preferences on the Email Preview page an unformated new blank email appears as if I've clicked the "New" tab for a new email.  Not only are web addresses in the body of the email not active (blue for click and go), the email addressees are not active at the top of the email.  Thus, I can no longer click on a new person in my chain to add them to my Address Book... I have to cut-and-paste their email address into the Address Book.  I desperately need to get to my folders.  Steve Kimbrough from Comcast Customer Service has called my home phone and spoke to my wife to help resolve the problem but I am on a project deep in the desert of Saudi Arabia and unable to spend time on this.  I hope to get it resolved when I come home on break late next week (2nd or 3rd of Feb).  Meantime, any new suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

New Visitor

Re: Back [Re: Problem Returned.[Re:Missing Left Column with List of Folders & Inb

Am having the same problem for past week...was on phone with Comcast for over an hour with no resolution.  They said it must be a problem with internet explorer since all folders appear if I use Firefox as my browser.

Contributor

Re: Back [Re: Problem Returned.[Re:Missing Left Column with List of Folders & Inb

There are now three people in this forum reporting the same problem -- mfrey, Rosemary and myself.  There must be something other than our own browsers.  I am not using MSExplorer, I am using Safari.  At any rate, we still continue to wrestle with the issue.  When someone finds a solution please post it here.  Thanks.  Tim_in_GoldenCO

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem and it seems no one can find the answer.  Has Comcast addressed any ones complaints for this issue?

Email Expert
JR071702

I've brought this issue to the attention of the Comcast mods and asked them to have the XC Technical team take a look at the issue (and hopefully provide some feedback here).

JR

Official Employee
cc_xc

We were able to reproduce this issue, but it was only on a slower network connection - so I want to see if we can rule this out.

If you are seeing "loading" instead of your email folders on the left hand side, can you go to this site and run a speed test:

1. Go to: http://speedtest.comcast.net

2. Move the map around and locate the server nearest to you - click on that to begin the test

3. Once the test is done, click on the "copy url" button in the center, this will copy the link to your clipboard

4. Paste the link in this thread

Contributor

My speed test was done using the Centennial, CO connection which is near my home in Golden, CO.  However, I am in Saudi Arabia on a project.  The test results were:  Ping = 383; Download = 1.10; Upload = 0.24.  Also, I do have the "loading" in the bottom half of the left column.

Thank you,

Tim_in_GolcenCO

Regular Visitor

Contributor
glasgowgal

I am having the same issue, no folders displaying on left side of screen.  I can see my inbox, but when I try to open an email, I get a yellow yield sign at the bottom of the screen and "error on page".  I can only view an email if I am in the preview pane. 

I didn't have any issues last week, but my husband had commented that he was having issues at work not being able to view his folders in Comcast email, now it is happening for me at work too. (Different companies)

No problem viewing folders at home.

Any answers to this problem, Comcast??

Contributor
glasgowgal

Forgot to mention, that I tried Firefox too, still no folders displaying.  Also, I tried to get into my "Preferences" as mentioned above and I can't get in at all.  I receive the yellow yield sign with "error on page".  Very frustrating.

Contributor
Rosemary34

Email Expert
CCCarole

Please read the post below made by a Comcast moderator:

01-30-201210:01 AM

We were able to reproduce this issue, but it was only on a slower network connection - so I want to see if we can rule this out.

If you are seeing "loading" instead of your email folders on the left hand side, can you go to this site and run a speed test:

1. Go to: http://speedtest.comcast.net

2. Move the map around and locate the server nearest to you - click on that to begin the test

3. Once the test is done, click on the "copy url" button in the center, this will copy the link to your clipboard

4. Paste the link in this thread

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
glasgowgal

New Visitor

Official Employee
cc_xc

Thanks for all of your feedback.  We are analyzing these results now with the developers.  Please note that this is a top priority for us right now but unfortunately we don't have an ETA on when this will be fixed.

Visitor

[ Edited ]

http://results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/114978432.png

I am having the same problem, but one computer in my home (wired) does not have the problem wiht the missing left columns, and the other one (wireless) does have the problem.

I tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of IE9 on this computer with the same results. It continues to say "loading" in the preview window.

Visitor

A further complication may be symptomatic of the issue. I cannot resize the folders or preview frame when the preview frame still says "loading:.

Contributor

http://results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/115028952.png

Not only do I have problems with email, but the new text messaging service doesn't show up at all for me. I click on Text Messaging in the apps bar (Home Email Voice etc.) and then everything below that apps bar goes blank. Nothing in the left hand panes, nothing in the message pane. 

Contributor

All, including Comcast techies,

Comcast techies have contacted me with private discussions to attempt to resolve the problem.  Their instructions involved adding different strings to the address line when logging into the email.  Since following those instructions my web based email has returned to its normal settings and I have not experienced the problem.  I have not had to continue to manually put in that string.  For some reason it cleared up the problem.  I tried all these string variations and I believe it was the velodrome string the did the trick.  Here are the instructions from cc_xc :

can you try something ...

Go to your email tab and replace the last part of the line "app=mail" with "skin=lake" or "skin=yahoo".

Example:  my email tab has this url

http://sz0135.wc.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail#1

so I would try this

http://sz0135.wc.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?skin=yahoo

You might need to reclick the email tab to go back to that.

Let me know if this works.  I want to see if this is specific to our current Xfinity Connect skin or not.  I am sending this in a private message because these other skins are available but not officially supported.

Also, these instructions:

Can you also try this setting?  When you get to your email tab, change this part at the end of the URL:

mail?app=mail#1

to this ...

mail?app=mail&skin=velodrome2#1

This should look the same as the original email tab, but the skin is specifically set in the URL

New Visitor
billejoed

I am having this problem at work but not at home.  Using the same internet explorer on both.  Not a sped issue a COMCAST issue!  This happened a year or so ago.

If you switch your prerefence to the "Lite" version you will see your left pane and other subdirectories.  But you may have problems with attaching files - it won't let you.  So then you must switch back to the full version to send files - a real pain.  COMCAST needs to resolve this issue; I don't have time to BS around.

Regular Visitor

Thank you, it worked, this is crazy and drives ne nuts spending time on these issues.  Appreciate

New Visitor
ketr

I have the same problem, using Firefox 10 on Win XP or IE9 on Win7.

Adding mail?app=mail&skin=velodrome2#1 to the URL did not work. Changing it to skin=yahoo did work.

Visitor

The recommendation to change the Skin from Comcast (mail?app=mail at end of URL address to mail?skin=lake or skin=yahoo did work. But it is just another thing to deal with the deficiencies in this email web client.

I have another suggestion since Comcast does not appear to be responsive to this issue.

Get a Gmail account and just forward your email to the Gmail account.

You can forward you comcast email to Gmail:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5951487_forward-comcast-mail-gmail.html

Good luck!

Contributor

While I am not a Comcast employee nor do I "stump" for Comcast having some issues with them myself, I cannot agree that they are not responsive to resolve this particular issue.  As I stated, they contacted me, the initiator of this particular Forum subject, and gave me some suggestions.  I have received a phone call from a Comcast rep to help trace the source of the problem.  As I stated in an earlier post, since trying the "velodrome" string suggested by a Comcast techie the problem for me has gone away.  I don't know if that is a result of the experiments with different strings on my email address or for some other reason.  There are others who have posted that their problem has been resolved.  Thanks.  Tim_in_GoldenCO

Visitor

To further hone this problem, a person above replied that the Velodrome string did not work. I concur that it did not for me either.

Contributor
Rosemary34

Has there been a target date for the this problem to be solved or is this just the way Comcast is leaving it?

Contributor
bushwackedva1

I just opened Comcast.net in FoxFire, logged in, and got the most wonderful surprise. My email is working with all folders available. Working just like it did when Xfinity was made available.

It may be an issue with IE.

Give it at try.

Contributor

On my Windows 7 systems, I found that starting at the Xfinity Connect home page and going to Voice messages first will correctly populate the folders in the left column. I can then click on Email and the screen shows up correctly. This is in both Firefox and Chrome.

Oddly enough, the folders show up correctly on my Mac systems without having to go through Voice messages first. Go figure.

New Visitor
billejoed

Per a previous post, the best way to fix this is to change the end of the URL page address to:

(mail?app=mail at end of URL address to mail?skin=lake or skin=yahoo) - This works like a charm; and was the best suggestion out there!  A little bit of a pain, but will save in your history, so should be a one click change.  The Yahoo collaboration site is easier on the eyes anyway.

Again this is only a problem away from home, possibly has to do with allowing access through firewalls AND what Comcast in loading for ADS!  The same setup at home works fine without firewalls.  IN the past I have found that Comcast will NEVER resolve this voluntarily, it will eventually correct itself

Contributor
Rosemary34

Thanks, going voice mail, then email works for me.Thanks much.

Rosemary

Contributor

The problem I have with the skin= solution is the loss of the Text Messaging option. Those other skins don't include it. Otherwise, yeah - the folders do show up everytime. 

New Visitor
BobEB

Experiencing a similar problem.  The sidebar on the left edge spontaneously disappeared.  I can view my inbox messages, but when I click on a mesage to view it, thr browser simply reloads the email menu page in the same window.  The same thing happens when I ttry to click on any of the top tabs, such as Preferences.

It appears that the pages may be attempting to load in another, non-existent panel in the browser window.  I am using Firefox 10.0.1 and I have checked to make sure that it is not blocking pop-ups or separate windows from xifinity/comcast.

When I check the View menu for the browser, I do not see any Xfinity menu as an option and I am not running any browser add-ons.  Hope this helps.

Bob in Charleston, WV

Contributor
CJ64

I have been having the same problem - no icons showing in the left column where they used to be (inbox, sent mail, drafts, spam, trash)  I use Internet Explorer and so does a friend upstairs.  I can access my email just fine on her computer, showing icons and all.  We are both on the same wireless access.  I don't get why my laptop is suddenly acting up.

I'm a bit worried about changing the URL as someone else suggested.  What does comcast say about the URL and why would THAT make the difference?  why would some computers need that change and not others?

Thanks to the person who suggested accessing through preferences.  It worked this first time but I worry more problems are going to crop up...

Comcast PLEASE fix this!

Official Employee
cc_xc

Just to provide an update on this issue ...

The problem lies in the back end code and that unfortunately will mean it will take some time to test and deploy.  We believe we have a fix for this issue that we are working on right now. We need to make sure that this does in fact fix the issue and that it won't introduce any other issues.  

Once I know for sure that we have a good fix I will let everyone know when it will be released.

I know that this has been a bad experience for those that have this problem and I again apologize.  The feedback from everyone has been very useful in helping us fix this issue.

In the meantime, these workarounds should work and allow you to access your email online:

- Install and use a different browser

- Switch to the light version or the mobile site

New Visitor
billejoed

Lite Version does fixes that problem, but cannot attached files to outgoing emails - some other error occurs!  Best fix is still using the new "skin" in the URL.

New Visitor
BobEB

ADDITIONAL INFO:

I have examined the mail page more carefully and can decribe these symptoms if this may help.

Previously the web-based email page had a side bar with a list of mail folders or directories, separated from the main window as if these were two frames.  The Inbox list in the main window used to appear with form elements, i.e. clickable option boxes, to select an individual message.

Now, however, there is only one frame or window and instead of a formatted listing of individual messages, these simply appear as plain HTML hotlink text.  When I try to click on one of these messages, the browser begins to load the message in the same window and I can see the URL in the address field of my browser change to a longer string with a message identifier at the end.  Just as the message begins to load, though, the page suddenly flashes and goes back to the orginal main page showing the Inbox.

This same behavior occurs if I try to click on any of the top tabs, such as Preferences.

Hope this explanation helps in some way.

Bob EB

Contributor
Rosemary34

Thank you for posting. This is the first postitve information I have read on this board since this circus started.

Please keep us updated, at least we know someone is working on it.

New Visitor
ngrave1

If you are having this problem at you office try this:

In Internet Explorer - Click Tools - then Click Internet Options

In the Internet Options dialog box, Click the Advanced tab

Scroll down to HTTP 1.1 settings

Put a check in the "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connection"

This may correct your problem, it did for me.  But this option can cause problems on other websites, so you may have to toggle it on when you need it.

Contributor
bushwackedva1

Sure glad I chose Firefox as my browser until this problem is solved for IE.

One earlier entry stated, "Again this is only a problem away from home, possibly has to do with allowing access through firewalls AND what Comcast in loading for ADS!"

My problem was at home; not work.

Using Firefox, my XFinity email works like a champ in every respect;standard folders, personal folders, calendar, address book, preferences, replying, forwarding, sending, receiving, signing in, signing out, executing hyperlinks and opening photos in email, etc.......no work arounds. Works fine with my firewall. Just a relaxing and exhilarating experience.

Still a problem on IE.

Contributor
CJ64

When I saw someone say that their email worked fine on firefox I tried it.  I'm on it now and - nope - it does not work here either.  No email icons on the left where they always had been.  No inbox, sent mail, drafts, trash. It's just a blank space as it is when I use Internet Explorer.

This is my home laptop.  The email icons were there until 3 weeks ago.

Again, it is the same whether I use Internet Explorer or Firefox.

Contributor

Well, here it is, happening again -- missing left column and list of folders!  After solving the problem with the "skin" solution and it worked all through February and March, here I am on April the 7th with the problem happening again.  Will try the different options outlined by different people in February.  Comcast: are you out there.... are you losing customers?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Tim_in_GoldenCO wrote:

Well, here it is, happening again -- missing left column and list of folders!  After solving the problem with the "skin" solution and it worked all through February and March, here I am on April the 7th with the problem happening again.  Will try the different options outlined by different people in February.  Comcast: are you out there.... are you losing customers?

Tim,

Are you using the full or lite version of XfinityConnect?  If the full version, switch to the Lite.  Do you see the Folders in the Lite version or not?

Comcast is very aware of this issue with disappearring Folders.  Unfortunately, so far, we have not seen any resolution from Comcast.  Beleive me, the Experts that monitor this Forum has been pressuring for answers and resolution, but there is only so much we can do.

I know this doesn't help you at all, but from what I've read here in the Forums, this issue is not happening for everyone.  Do you have an email client on your PC?  Until this is fixed, maybe consider switching to an email client?  :smileysad:

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
bertramj