Bronze Star Contributor
Accepted Solution

Moving - want to keep current comcast email address at new location

I may be moving from one county to another, each of which has its own Comcast franchise. I would like to keep my current Comcast email address if I move to the new location. The new location currently has Comcast TV but no Comcast internet.

What is the best way to make this transition so that I can keep my current comcast email address at the new location?

Thanks!

New Visitor
kasfiamehnaj191

Re: Moving - want to keep current comcast email address at new location

You can transfer your email account to a friend or a relative with active Comcast internet service.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

ggeinec wrote:

I may be moving from one county to another, each of which has its own Comcast franchise. I would like to keep my current Comcast email address if I move to the new location. The new location currently has Comcast TV but no Comcast internet.

What is the best way to make this transition so that I can keep my current comcast email address at the new location?

Thanks!

I take that to mean that the residence you are moving to currently has Comcast for tv service but not internet.

Will you be moving into an empty place and getting Comcast internet? If you are the email addresses *should* transfer with you to a new account.

If moving into a situation where others are living in the residence and there will not be Comcast internet, your email addresses will be lost when you cancel your current account.

What kasfiamehnaj191 suggests is not a very good idea. Suppose you do transfer the addresses to a relative or friend. IF they cancel Comcast you would lose the email address. Or maybe they decide to add additional secondary accounts for themselves. Comcast allows a total of 7 email addresses per account. If someone had 7  yours would likely be the account that gets deleted so another one for that person could be created. .

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Star Contributor

Queen-Evie wrote:

ggeinec wrote:

Thanks!

I take that to mean that the residence you are moving to currently has Comcast for tv service but not internet.

Will you be moving into an empty place and getting Comcast internet? If you are the email addresses *should* transfer with you to a new account.

The residence I am moving to currently is occupied. They have Comcast TV but another internet provider.

I will join them at this residence. I would like to replace their current internet provider with Comcast. I also would like to keep my current Comcast email address.

What is the best way to do this?

Should we terminate their Comcast TV account and then transfer my Comcast TV and internet to the new residence?

Other suggestions?

Please remember that these are two different Comcast franchises in adjacent counties.

Thanks!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

You would need to discuss that with those already at the residence. A transfer would make the most sense if everyone agrees to it.  You would have to call Comcast to see if service can be transferred to a different market.

The only problem that may crop up is would they lose email addresses associated with the current ISP if that account was closed.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Star Contributor

Queen-Evie wrote:

You would need to discuss that with those already at the residence. A transfer would make the most sense if everyone agrees to it.  You would have to call Comcast to see if service can be transferred to a different market.

The only problem that may crop up is would they lose email addresses associated with the current ISP if that account was closed.

Everyone would agree to the transfer.  :smileyhappy:

No email addresses would be lost since none are associated with the current ISP.

It looks like the only question left is whether the service can be transferred from one market to the other.

Who should I call for an answer to this question? My local Comcast office? The Comcast office in the county to which I will be moving? Comcast customer service?

Thanks for your help!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

As for calling, call 1-800-Comcast. Another alternative-on the Comcast bill for the residence you will be moving to there should be a phone number other than the main national number. Call it and ask your questions. WIth luck you will get the regional call center for that area.

Before you call Comcast look over some of the FAQ's here Moving or Transferring Comcast Service

If you want you can make notes and write down questions to ask Comcast. The FAQ's will provide a starting place for you.

There is also a page you can use to transfer service here http://www.comcast.com/Movers/Move.cspx

I don't know how the online process works though.

One thing to note: equipment. Read this FAQ Can I keep my Comcast equipment (e.g. DVR, digital box, etc) if I transfer my service to a new location?

It will say no you cannot. If you are told otherwise, don't believe it. There have been people who were told they could take the equipment with them to a new location (a different city or town). They took it, hooked it up, and are using it. THEN they get billed for unreturned equipment which should have been turned in at that local office that serves the previous residence.

And when you do return that equipment:

When your equipment is picked up or turned in, GET A RETURNED EQUIPMENT RECEIPT. Make sure it documents that what you returned is a modem or tv boxes. If there are any stickers with serial or MAC numbers, make sure those numbers are on the receipt. Keep the receipt in a safe place, don't forget where you put it. Keep it until the middle of the next century. In the past, Comcast has billed customers for equipment that had been returned. Sometimes they lose track of the equipment and the receipt will be your proof that you turned it in to Comcast.

If you ship the equipment to Comcast, record tracking numbers.  Keep those numbers in a safe place. You will need them later if Comcast bills you for the equipment.

You can also check the status of shipped items on the delivery company webpage. When you see it was delivered, print screen the delivery status. UPS also offers Track By Email. Use that option. You'll be notified when it is delivered. Save the email-again this will be proof it was received by Comcast.

Print out the delivery confirmation (if your computer crashes and you lose the info the print out will be your proof of return) This should also be kept in a safe place where you can get to it if needed.

I know from experience that having the receipts can save you a lot of headaches. I was able to pull out my receipts when a collection agency notified me I owed for Comcast equipment that had been returned.

Finally, if the bill will be kept in the same name have that person check on specials for current customers who add a service.

Bronze Star Contributor

Thanks Queen-Evie for all of your advice!