Contributor

Multiple Comcast Email Accounts - Issue

I currently have a primary comcast email account plus 5 other secondary comcast email accounts.  In the past with the old comcast email site I could log in using my primary account and access all my secondary accounts through it...this way I did not have to log into each of my email accounts to check them.   With Smartzone I have not been able to figure out how to do that.   If I log in with my primary account thats all I see.    If I go into Email Manager under Preferences I can see my other comcast email accounts set up as secondary accounts but I cant figure out how to access their inboxes.

Any suggestions?  Help!

Thanks.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Multiple Comcast Email Accounts - Issue

Do you have Smartzone Regular or Lite?   If you see an "/h" after the "/zimbra" in the URL of your Inbox,
then you are running SmartZone Lite (otherwise, you are running "regular" SmartZone).
You can also look for the green strip which shows when you first go into Smartzone Lite.  

The work-around until a future release has the E-Mail Manager function as you had in webmail is:

Go to this clickable link & scroll down to Message # 12 &13 for directions on setting up External Pop Accounts.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

Jaggster,

I was having the problem until I read this post.

When adding "external" accounts, aka secondary accounts with comcast, you have to put either mail.comcast.net or pop.comcast.net as the "Email Server".

That was my problem, when I was filling out the info I was leaving it as just comcast.net. 

So now I have mine set up with all my comcast accounts. Hope this helps you also.

Email Expert
JR071702

amarie wrote:

Jaggster,

I was having the problem until I read this post.

When adding "external" accounts, aka secondary accounts with comcast, you have to put either mail.comcast.net or pop.comcast.net as the "Email Server".

That was my problem, when I was filling out the info I was leaving it as just comcast.net. 

So now I have mine set up with all my comcast accounts. Hope this helps you also.

amarie,

Post 13 in the SmartZone Tutorial sticky mentions having to put the mail.comcast.net in the mail server field (I recently added some emphasis to double-check that value).     Hopefully, that bug will be fixed in a future release (probably when it isn't needed as much anymore :smileywink: ) - as Comcast should know what their server name is :smileycool:

JR

Visitor

I have the same problem as the OP and, while this work around is close, it isn't close enough for me.  It does allow you to see emails from the secondary accounts (technically they are copies of the emails), but it doesn't allow you to send an email from them.  If you reply to an email from a secondary account, it will appear to the recipient as if it came from the primary account. 

The only solution I've found is to either log out and log in again, or have multiple windows open (and as I write this, I realize that that's going to be my workaround).  I'd love it if someone had a better workaround.

Cheers, Neil.

Email Expert
JR071702

TheMadScotsman wrote:

I have the same problem as the OP and, while this work around is close, it isn't close enough for me.  It does allow you to see emails from the secondary accounts (technically they are copies of the emails), but it doesn't allow you to send an email from them.  If you reply to an email from a secondary account, it will appear to the recipient as if it came from the primary account.

Yes, as I mentioned in post 13 refererenced above.

The only solution I've found is to either log out and log in again, or have multiple windows open (and as I write this, I realize that that's going to be my workaround).  I'd love it if someone had a better workaround.

Cheers, Neil.

I think that others had tried having multiple windows opened - one for each logon - and while it worked for awhile, it was not a permanent workaround for them.

JR

Visitor

Does anyone know why they set up SmartZone this way? Was it on purpose?

A Customer Service rep told me it was for security reasons. This way the primary owner had less control over the secondary account. However, as it stands now with SmartZone, I can read the emails in the secondary account and they still show up as UNread when I log directly into the secondary account. It seems there is now less security for the secondary user than before.

Also, they already require the primary to know the secondary's password. If the secondary owner were concerned about the primary doing too much snooping, they can just change their password.

I don't get it.

Email Expert
JR071702

Superchunk wrote:

Does anyone know why they set up SmartZone this way? Was it on purpose?

A Customer Service rep told me it was for security reasons. This way the primary owner had less control over the secondary account. However, as it stands now with SmartZone, I can read the emails in the secondary account and they still show up as UNread when I log directly into the secondary account. It seems there is now less security for the secondary user than before.

Also, they already require the primary to know the secondary's password. If the secondary owner were concerned about the primary doing too much snooping, they can just change their password.

I don't get it.

Superchunk,

They did not "set up SmartZone this way".

This is a temporary workaround until the fully-functional management of the secondary accounts from the Primary is available in SmartZone.

Whatever Comcast customer rep told you that didn't know what in the "h" they were talking about.

JR

Email Expert
madylarian

amarie wrote:

you have to put either mail.comcast.net or pop.comcast.net as the "Email Server".

The correct incoming server is mail.comcast.net only.

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Regular Contributor

JR071702 wrote:

TheMadScotsman wrote:

Yes, as I mentioned in post 13 refererenced above.

Cheers, Neil.

I think that others had tried having multiple windows opened - one for each logon - and while it worked for awhile, it was not a permanent workaround for them.

JR

Just to be clear, it does not work for more than a few minutes, and you will be logged out in at least most of your open windows. I've noticed this behavior even with one window open. Multiple windows and multiple log-ins do not seem to be supported, and this seems to be due to design since Comcast naturally doesn't wish to see non-customers being able to log-in. 
The only workaround that I have found is actually no workaround. Just create a new book-marks folder with all of your main and secondary accounts present, and log in and back out each time. Fun, huh? The sad thing is (and I don't know about previous licensing and server overhead) is that the old "beta" version web-mail just plain worked.
Note for Comcast employees: Zimbra was updated just last week, so perhaps we might could see some improvements regarding previous functionality in the near future?
I can hope, anyway.
Zimbra Collaboration Suite.
http://www.zimbra.com/community/

New Visitor

The system gives an error when trying to add it as a managed email.  It won't give me any other options.  All it wants to do is set up another account.

I have smart zone - regular.

I have followed the tutorial about multiple accounts several times.

I have not been able to get it to load the emails as managed.

I have children.  I monitor and manage their accounts.

I also have different emails for sorting and privacy.

This is making it very difficult.

My only option is to log in-log out, log in-log out.

This is very inefficent.

*** Feedback:  I have read many posts on the Comcast Help and Support Forum.  I have also noticed that some of the instructions, whether it be comcast employees or not, are written in a demeaning manner i.e. "this is the last time", "Once again", "Don't write in all caps .. yelling" etc.

When responding or giving instruction, one needs to remember that some of the users may be new to typing and computer use. 

This needs to be monitored as it is poor customer service and interaction.

Email Expert
CCCarole

jerseyapples wrote:

The system gives an error when trying to add it as a managed email.  It won't give me any other options.  All it wants to do is set up another account.

I have not been able to get it to load the emails as managed.arrows

This is very inefficent.

*** Feedback:  I have read many posts on the Comcast Help and Support Forum.  I have also noticed that some of the instructions, whether it be comcast employees or not, are written in a demeaning manner i.e. "this is the last time", "Once again", "Don't write in all caps .. yelling" etc.

When responding or giving instruction, one needs to remember that some of the users may be new to typing and computer use. 

This needs to be monitored as it is poor customer service and interaction.

After setting up the external pop accounts do you see this?  (Showing external pop accouints as well as the Primary?  If you do, to get to the e-mail that is in each pop account:

Click on the Secondary e-mail account, then on the double arrows above the word e-mail.  that should open and show you the e-mail for that secondary account.

If you are having trouble setting up the Externap pop accounts themselves tho, post back & we will guide you through.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Email Expert
JR071702

jerseyapples wrote:

I have not been able to get it to load the emails as managed.

This is very inefficent.

Did you make sure that the Mail Server Name is mail.comcast.net

Did you make sure that the password is typed in the proper case?   Passwords are case-sensitive.  There is a "show password" box that will allow you to see the password as you are typing it.

If you are following the example in post 13 of this sticky thread: Here is the link to the Smartzone Tutorial you should be able to get the external accounts defined.

Please note that the messages don't automatically get delivered to the external account - you have to click on the "Get External Email" button.

Also, be aware that you will have to sign out of the primary and sign in to the secondary if you want to send e-mails as the secondary account.

JR