Reply
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET
Posts: 4,983
Registered: ‎10-28-2003

My migration to Smartzone

First of all, I got the email from Comcast warning (OK telling me) I would be migrated to Smartzone in the near future.  About 5 days later it happened.  I followed CCCarole's advise and move everything out of my Inbox in my Outlook Express to a "Temp Inbox", sat back and waited.  Woke up yesterday morning, checked my email in OE and watched as I downloaded 177 emails.  ARGH!  Upon further checking I had forgot to change my primary account back to Do NOT leave a copy on the server (my bad).  Luckily the secondary accounts had been changed back to do not leave a copy on the server after my last trip!  :smileycool:

 

Anyway I had been reading all the sticky's and info posts to try to improve my knowledge of Smartzone.  After some experimenting, reading other folks problems (and rants) etc - it seems to me the simplest solution and perhaps the most sensible one for me is to continue to utilize Outlook Express as an email client.  I have not gone to Smartzone at all in the last two days (using only OE) and I can not tell the difference between the "old Web Mail"  and "Smartzone" (from within OE). This may not be the answer for everyone, but it certainly suits my needs and I do not in anyway (at least not yet) have any of the problems or rants that others have been having with the switch over.  Once I get on my laptop (Vista) I may find something different with Windows Mail - but that would be another post.

 

I did go as far as installing Plaxo (as part of my experimenting) and decided it was not for me.  I personally) do not care for all the content that downloads with it.  All I was trying to do was check out the transfer of my address book from OE to Smartzone.  I finally removed Plaxo and since I already have the address book in OE where I compose emails, that's sufficient for my needs.

 

As in the past, I will continue to use Outlook Express as my email client, doing all I need to do with email in that program and use Smartzone only when I read something about a change in it/improvement and want to check it out.

 

Personally, I think quite a few rants, raves and the bickering going on over Smartzone could be at least cut back on if people would learn to use a mail client rather than doing everything in Smartzone - at least until Smartzone is refined.

 

BTW - my thanks to the mods and "helpers" who have devoted their time to Beta testing and getting the Smartzone info, work arounds and answering questions on this forum. :smileyhappy:

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Email Expert
JR071702
Posts: 6,888
Registered: ‎03-10-2004

Re: My migration to Smartzone


USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

First of all, I got the email from Comcast warning (OK telling me) I would be migrated to Smartzone in the near future.  About 5 days later it happened.  I followed CCCarole's advise and move everything out of my Inbox in my Outlook Express to a "Temp Inbox", sat back and waited.  Woke up yesterday morning, checked my email in OE and watched as I downloaded 177 emails.  ARGH!  Upon further checking I had forgot to change my primary account back to Do NOT leave a copy on the server (my bad).  Luckily the secondary accounts had been changed back to do not leave a copy on the server after my last trip!  :smileycool:

 

Anyway I had been reading all the sticky's and info posts to try to improve my knowledge of Smartzone.  After some experimenting, reading other folks problems (and rants) etc - it seems to me the simplest solution and perhaps the most sensible one for me is to continue to utilize Outlook Express as an email client.  I have not gone to Smartzone at all in the last two days (using only OE) and I can not tell the difference between the "old Web Mail"  and "Smartzone" (from within OE). This may not be the answer for everyone, but it certainly suits my needs and I do not in anyway (at least not yet) have any of the problems or rants that others have been having with the switch over.  Once I get on my laptop (Vista) I may find something different with Windows Mail - but that would be another post.

 

I did go as far as installing Plaxo (as part of my experimenting) and decided it was not for me.  I personally) do not care for all the content that downloads with it.  All I was trying to do was check out the transfer of my address book from OE to Smartzone.  I finally removed Plaxo and since I already have the address book in OE where I compose emails, that's sufficient for my needs.

 

As in the past, I will continue to use Outlook Express as my email client, doing all I need to do with email in that program and use Smartzone only when I read something about a change in it/improvement and want to check it out.

 

Personally, I think quite a few rants, raves and the bickering going on over Smartzone could be at least cut back on if people would learn to use a mail client rather than doing everything in Smartzone - at least until Smartzone is refined.

 

BTW - my thanks to the mods and "helpers" who have devoted their time to Beta testing and getting the Smartzone info, work arounds and answering questions on this forum. :smileyhappy:


Thanks for the feedback - and the thanks at the end.    The mods, admins, experts and regulars here certainly appreciate it!
JR

Email Expert
CCCarole
Posts: 28,861
Registered: ‎05-21-2006

Re: My migration to Smartzone

Hi There Air Force - Well, that info about migration & e-mail clients almost worked 100% for you,  :smileyhappy:  I too, appreciate that you took the time to post, and thank you for the kind words.


Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.




Email Expert
Posts: 18,241
Registered: ‎04-27-2004

Re: My migration to Smartzone

As you discovered, the differences between Webmail and SmartZone only affect people who read their mail on the web site. Other than the one-time issue of re-downloading all the mail left on the server after the migration, there's no difference for mail client users.

 

Regular Contributor
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎04-28-2005

Re: My migration to Smartzone

You would certainly know the answer to my question; however, I am not sure if this is the appropriate place for my question. You mention using Outlook Express as your email client. How can I do this? I do not know the steps for switching to OE. As I understand it, I could use OE for all my email services, and consequently, not need SmartZone.  Is this correct?  Thank you in advance for your help.

 

Rufas

Mac Expert
Joel
Posts: 5,829
Registered: ‎12-01-2003

Re: My migration to Smartzone

[ Edited ]

rufasiv,

 

SmartZone, SmartZone Lite, and Outlook Express, are all just different tools you can use to manage your Comcast email account. Comcast gives you SZ via a web-based service so you can access your mail from any internet connection. This does not mean, however, that you have to use this service. Many people are much more comfortable using dedicated email software like Outlook Express, Outlook, Mac Mail, Thunderbird, etc. These programs are designed with one purpose in mind: email management. 

 

User "Early Out" put together instructions for setting up Outlook Express for your Comcast email account. You can access those instruction by clicking the following link:

 

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=2&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=...

Message Edited by Joel on 02-08-2009 12:12 PM
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET
Posts: 4,983
Registered: ‎10-28-2003

Re: My migration to Smartzone

[ Edited ]

Russ,

Look at the first post in this thread:

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=2&thread.id=101266

 

This should get you started and headed in the correct direction and yes, you can use OE for all your email services.  Setup will be similar, although the name of the server etc will be different from Comcast accounts.

 

<edit> Sorry, I guess I just type slower than others! <edit>

Message Edited by USAF_E-8_RET on 02-08-2009 08:59 AM
Message Edited by USAF_E-8_RET on 02-08-2009 09:00 AM

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET
Posts: 4,983
Registered: ‎10-28-2003

Re: My migration to Smartzone


Joel wrote:

rufasiv,

 

SmartZone, SmartZone Lite, and Outlook Express, are all just different tools you can use to manage your Comcast email account. Comcast gives you SZ via a web-based service so you can access your mail from any internet connection. This does not mean, however, that you have to use this service. Many people are much more comfortable using dedicated email software like Outlook Express, Outlook, Mac Mail, Thunderbird, etc. These programs are designed with one purpose in mind: email management. 

 

User "Early Out" put together instructions for setting up Outlook Express for your Comcast email account. You can access those instruction by clicking the following link:

 

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=2&thread.id=101266&jump=true


 

Joel, please check your link!  It doesn't take me where I believe you wanted it to! :smileyconfused:

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Mac Expert
Joel
Posts: 5,829
Registered: ‎12-01-2003

Re: My migration to Smartzone

It works for me (it goes directly to the first post). What's it not doing for you?
Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET
Posts: 4,983
Registered: ‎10-28-2003

Re: My migration to Smartzone

[ Edited ]

Joel, it takes me to message # 251 of 330 in that thread.  I am using IE.

 

<edit>  Joel, I tried it a couple of times and it takes me to a different post each time in IE.  I then went to Firefox and it came up on the first post and then I got a script warning:

 

Warning: Unresponsive Script
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped respondinf. You can stop the script now or continue to see if the script will complete.
 

The warning had a STOP SCRIPT and a CONTINUE button.

 

I clicked continue and all was ok.

 

I then went back to IE, clicked on your link and it took me to the first post in the thread - no script warning.

 

Strange, but it works ok now in IE!  <edit>

Message Edited by USAF_E-8_RET on 02-08-2009 11:51 AM

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Mac Expert
Joel
Posts: 5,829
Registered: ‎12-01-2003

Re: My migration to Smartzone

Strange, but just to be safe I edited the link slightly as that macro was from the old forums.
Recognized Contributor
mistakeprone
Posts: 109
Registered: ‎08-26-2003

Re: My migration to Smartzone

Well, I got that warning about the transition to SmartZone, but it didn't indicate the transition date, the "info" links in the warning e-mail didn't work properly, and I didn't come here to get advice. As a result, I didn't know that the transition would mean that all e-mail messages previously left on the server would download to my POPmail clients, nor that this would happen every time I checked mail during a 24-hour period (from the time yesterday when something was changed to prepare for the transition until the time today when SmartZone actually started to function). 

 

I am not a happy camper. Comcast has had plenty of time to work out the bugs in this transition process, and the company could have warned its customers about this. 

 

I thoroughly understand why connection speeds have been glacially slow today -- all those unnecessary e-mail downloads are presumably overtaxing bandwidth.

 

The support person I chatted with yesterday clearly had not been informed about this aspect of the transition. Below is the chat transcript, edited to eliminate some identifying details. (SmartZone was not actually functioning here until at least 12 hours after this chat occurred.  Now that it is implemented, I am relieved to discover that the popmail clients I use on different computers all are working properly  -- after downloading the entire contents of my inbox one more time, they are now finding only the new messages. I tried to e-mail Comcast help with follow-up comments about this chat, but the webpage e-mail link to contact Comcast doesn't work, so I'm posting it here.)

 

user has entered room

User(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:04:06 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Today, when I check popmail with Evolution, all messages in my inbox download. I think a setting has changed on the server causing this to happen.

analyst has entered room

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:04:09 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Hello User_, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Analyst. Please give me one moment to review your information.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:04:14 GMT-0500 (EST))>
I will be glad to assist you.
Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:04:40 GMT-0500 (EST))> 
I can appreciate why this issue is of great concern to you. I certainly would want it resolved myself.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:04:49 GMT-0500 (EST))>
How can I help you today, User?

User_(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:06:03 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Please tell the e-mail team to adjust the server settings so this doesn't happen -- or tell me what I can adjust. Below is the information I got from Evolution:
Why does Evolution download duplicate emails? How can I get rid of them? Why does Evolution reload old mails from server when "Leave a message on the pop server" is activated?

There are several possible reasons when this happens:

* You have got several copies in your mailbox
* The mail server supports the UIDL extension yet changes the message UIDs each session
* The mail server does not support UIDL (which means Evolution has to generate UIDs using md5sums of the message headers) but the server changes the message headers after download (usually adding a Status: or X-Status: header - Evolution's md5sum ignores these, but Evolution may be missing other headers that this particular server munges)
* $HOME/.evolution/mail/pop/cache-* files are not writable

There is also a script to get rid of duplicates at http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/evolution/2005-January/041442.html and an external plugin available at http://www.gnome.org/~carlosg/stuff/evolution/ which also works with Evolution 2.10 if you have installed the devel-packages for evolution (and evolution-plugin if your distro ships the plugins in a seperate package).


Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:07:23 GMT-0500 (EST))>
I see.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:07:25 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Thank you for the information.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:07:29 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Please give me a moment.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:08:36 GMT-0500 (EST))>
User, what email address are you using for this email client?

User(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:08:49 GMT-0500 (EST))>
username@comcast.net

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:09:29 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Did you just create this email account from Evolution?

User (Sat Feb 07 2009 16:10:11 GMT-0500 (EST))>
No. I have used this email account for several years. I have used Evolution to access it from my laptop computer for several months.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:10:35 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Okay.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:10:56 GMT-0500 (EST))>
User, Comcast does not support Evolution as an email client as of this day.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:11:44 GMT-0500 (EST))>
We only have the Outlook Express, Outlook, Mac Mail, Windows Mail, Eudora and Thunderbird.

User_(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:13:34 GMT-0500 (EST))>
This is a standard PopMail client for Linux and it has worked perfectly for several months. Today, after the first time I accidentally downloaded hundreds of messages I already had seen on this computer, I went to the webmail interface and got a message that it was being updated. Apparently something was changed in the popmail interface; if I knew what changed, maybe I could resolve my problem.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:14:04 GMT-0500 (EST))>
I can appreciate why this issue is of great concern to you. I certainly would want it resolved myself.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:14:15 GMT-0500 (EST))>
I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:14:21 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Please give me a moment.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:14:46 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Yes, there has been a change because of Smartzone, User.

User_(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:15:33 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Can you document what has changed?
Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:15:52 GMT-0500 (EST))> 
The new Smartzone has been launched.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:16:03 GMT-0500 (EST))>
You may need to access it through this link.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:16:15 GMT-0500 (EST))>
https://login.comcast.net/login?s=smartzone

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:16:28 GMT-0500 (EST))> 
Same username and password.

User_(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:17:32 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Thank you. However, I am disgusted to hear that this "improvement" may mean that I can no longer access e-mail messages on my laptop when I am not logged in to the Internet.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:19:22 GMT-0500 (EST))>
You can have the Smartzone overview and tutorials through this link.
http://www.comcast.net/smartzonetour/

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:19:27 GMT-0500 (EST))>
I can certainly understand how frustrating this concern affects you.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:19:41 GMT-0500 (EST))>
User, I suggest that you try to visit your account from comcast.net

User_(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:20:19 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Thank you. Please make "the management" aware of my problem.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:20:54 GMT-0500 (EST))>
And set your settings for you to be able to access it also through your laptop.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:21:07 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Certainly, I will be reporting your concern to them, User.

Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:21:16 GMT-0500 (EST))>
Is there anything else I can help you with today?

User_(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:22:16 GMT-0500 (EST))>
That's all for now
Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:22:20 GMT-0500 (EST))>
This is your ticket number, you can use this in future references.
Analyst(Sat Feb 07 2009 16:22:36 GMT-0500 (EST))>
154145483.


 

 

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET
Posts: 4,983
Registered: ‎10-28-2003

Re: My migration to Smartzone


mistakeprone wrote:

Well, I got that warning about the transition to SmartZone, but it didn't indicate the transition date, the "info" links in the warning e-mail didn't work properly, and I didn't come here to get advice. As a result, I didn't know that the transition would mean that all e-mail messages previously left on the server would download to my POPmail clients, nor that this would happen every time I checked mail during a 24-hour period (from the time yesterday when something was changed to prepare for the transition until the time today when SmartZone actually started to function). 


mistakeprone - excuse me for laughing at your user name, but had you come here for advice when you were notified, you could have read this sticky:

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=2&thread.id=129019

 

Thus you would have avoided the email download and not have used as much bandwidth!

 

I think your mistake was not coming here for help prior to your migration.  The helpers and mods put those stickies there for a reason - to help others out!  I am sorry if I have offended you!

 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Email Expert
JR071702
Posts: 6,888
Registered: ‎03-10-2004

Re: My migration to Smartzone

USAF,

 

Actually, the general impressions that users to be migrated are getting from the e-mails is that they don't have to do anything in preparation for the migration...

 

...which for those who do not run e-mail clients and keep their e-mails on the server (and in their inbox) is absolutely true.

 

But, if you do have an e-mail client, and you keep a copy of your e-mails on the server, and you haven't moved them out of your inbox, then you are going to have issues when you are migrated - as all of those e-mails are going to be eligible for download once again when they are moved to the new e-mail server.

 

There should have been (and should be for the remaining migrations) a caveat in the pre-migration e-mail telling them to clean up their Comcast Inbox if the all of above three conditions are true.

 

Now, you were lucky in that you had visited this forum beforehand...but many don't know about this forum until they after they have been migrated...

 

JR

 

 

 

Recognized Contributor
mistakeprone
Posts: 109
Registered: ‎08-26-2003

Re: My migration to Smartzone

Read again, . I pointed out that the announcement that came from Comcast did not send me here for help or for more information. The message described changes in the online e-mail interface, but did not mention that the changes might affect other e-mail clients. Moreover, it said "no action required." 

 

The message included some links for more information, but those links either were uninformative promotional pages about the new online interface or did not work properly. Specifically, I was able to view the FAQ index, but the individual FAQs that I clicked on returned error messages. 

 

Until wasting several hours yesterday trying to resolve my e-mail problems (including my frustrating chat session with a Comcast support person who apparently was uninformed about the effect of the transition on POPmail), I thought that I had a life apart from e-mail and didn't need to dedicate myself to becoming informed about the SmartZone transition.

 

Here's the warning I received:

Comcast Service Announcement.

SmartZone(TM) Communications Center is coming!

You are just days away from a new online experience.

No Action Required.

You do not need to do anything to get SmartZone.
Your emails and address books will automatically upgrade in the
next few days. During the upgrade, your account may be briefly
unavailable so we appreciate your patience.

In just a few days you'll notice a change to your email at
Comcast.net. We will soon be upgrading your Comcast.net email
to the new SmartZone Communications Center.

In SmartZone, you'll be able to:

- Access and manage your email
- Check and respond to your Comcast Digital Voice messages
- Quickly find contacts from the Universal Address Book

...all from ONE convenient place!

You'll also enjoy new email features and 40x more mailbox storage--
that's a huge 10 gigabytes!

To take a Sneak Peek, please visit the link below.
http://www.p.comcast.net/r?2.1.Gy.CK.ldEy0.CzpzeK..N.CxB2.2PMc.DXPQEaG0

To learn more about the SmartZone Communications Center and the new
email features, please visit the link below.
http://www.p.comcast.net/r?2.1.Gy.CK.ldEy0.CzpzeK..N.CxB4.2PMc.DXVEEaI0

To view Frequently Asked Questions visit the link below:
http://www.p.comcast.net/r?2.1.Gy.CK.ldEy0.CzpzeK..N.D5L%5f.2PMc.DWJAEZb0

If there are known issues with POPmail in the transition to SmartZone, it would behoove Comcast to provide that information to its customers -- and particularly to its tech support people.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET
Posts: 4,983
Registered: ‎10-28-2003

Re: My migration to Smartzone


JR071702 wrote:

USAF,

 

Actually, the general impressions that users to be migrated are getting from the e-mails is that they don't have to do anything in preparation for the migration...

 

...which for those who do not run e-mail clients and keep their e-mails on the server (and in their inbox) is absolutely true.

 

But, if you do have an e-mail client, and you keep a copy of your e-mails on the server, and you haven't moved them out of your inbox, then you are going to have issues when you are migrated - as all of those e-mails are going to be eligible for download once again when they are moved to the new e-mail server.

 

There should have been (and should be for the remaining migrations) a caveat in the pre-migration e-mail telling them to clean up their Comcast Inbox if the all of above three conditions are true.

 

Now, you were lucky in that you had visited this forum beforehand...but many don't know about this forum until they after they have been migrated...

 

JR

 

 

 


 

JR - I agree with you 100%.  The initial e-mail from Comcast is totally misleading, as I remember in large print they state: No Action Required, You do not need to do anything to get SmartZone.

 

Too bad that does not present an entirely true story.  Perhaps, Comcast should include "You do not need to do anything unless you are using an email client!"  Then reference you to the sticky on the Forum!

 

Perhaps this is something the mods should work on getting changed??

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET
Posts: 4,983
Registered: ‎10-28-2003

Re: My migration to Smartzone

mistakeprone, as you can see, I agree that Comcast needs to do more and explain better and reference other sources of info in their "announcement e-mails (as I said in a post that was posted 1 minute after yours). 

 

I understand where you are coming from and your complaints are more than justified, however I hope you now know that this forum is here and available for your input, questions and comments.

 

 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Recognized Contributor
mistakeprone
Posts: 109
Registered: ‎08-26-2003

Re: My migration to Smartzone

I have been to these forums before, but I only come here when I think I have a serious problem. I didn't think that the transition to SmartZone was going to be a serious problem. 

 

These forums are not easy to find on the various Comcast homepages, and the times I have tried to come here are (fortunately) few enough and far enough between that Comcast invariably will have totally changed the route to the forums since my last visit. Yesterday when I looked for help, "forums" was not an option that I came across. I actually figured that Comcast had terminated the forums, so I used the chat support option.

 

I think that the page where I found the forum link today is a page that returned an error when I tried to access it yesterday. (Today I tried to use e-mail to give Comcast a followup report on my chat session, but the "Send E-mail to Comcast" page didn't work today.)

New Visitor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-08-2009

Re: My migration to Smartzone

I am resistant to change anyway;  I like everything on an even keel.  This change to a "dumb zone" as I will call it is drivinng me crazy.  Instead oof single clicking, I now have to double click.  I have lost most of my address book, and I dont like the options bar.  GIVE ME BACK THE OLD COMCAST I was used to and found was reliable.

jhutch

Email Expert
JR071702
Posts: 6,888
Registered: ‎03-10-2004

Re: My migration to Smartzone


jhutch wrote:

I am resistant to change anyway;  I like everything on an even keel.  This change to a "dumb zone" as I will call it is drivinng me crazy.  Instead oof single clicking, I now have to double click. 

 

If you enable the Reading Pane, then all you have to do is single-click.

 

I have lost most of my address book,

 

What makes you think that?    There are multiple pages to the address book (and you can change the size of each page.   

 

and I dont like the options bar.  GIVE ME BACK THE OLD COMCAST I was used to and found was reliable.

jhutch

 

It's a one-way migration. 


JR

Bronze Problem Solver
lunski
Posts: 1,757
Registered: ‎09-03-2008

Re: My migration to Smartzone


mistakeprone wrote:

I have been to these forums before, but I only come here when I think I have a serious problem. I didn't think that the transition to SmartZone was going to be a serious problem. 

 

These forums are not easy to find on the various Comcast homepages, and the times I have tried to come here are (fortunately) few enough and far enough between that Comcast invariably will have totally changed the route to the forums since my last visit. Yesterday when I looked for help, "forums" was not an option that I came across. I actually figured that Comcast had terminated the forums, so I used the chat support option.

 

I think that the page where I found the forum link today is a page that returned an error when I tried to access it yesterday. (Today I tried to use e-mail to give Comcast a followup report on my chat session, but the "Send E-mail to Comcast" page didn't work today.)


 

I am pushing to make this happen... No promises...
George Lunski
"Retired" Comcast Help Forums Administrator