Visitor
DanMan74

New iphone 5

I cant send email from my comcast account with my iphone 5? Even if i set up alternate servers. My msn & work email both work fine. And i set it up just like it was on my ip 4. Ive tried everything, can someone help? The apple tech said comcast may have changed their "pop" outgoing server. BTW-- I can receive emails just cant send? It either puts em in the outbox or in the sent folder as if it was sent??
Email Expert
Latoque

Re: New iphone 5

The only thing I can think of ---------- what outgoing port are you using?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
New Visitor
Taxadvice

I am having same problem

Email seems to go out but is not received

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Check the screenshots I posted here:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Can-t-configure-Comcast-email-on-iPhone...

You need to set incoming and outgoing ports and include the password twice. Be sure to save as needed. Be sure you are using POP. Comcast does not currently provide IMAP service to residential customers. Some people were in a trial for it, but there has been no news about it for a while.

I haven't taken screenshots with iOS 6, but Mail has been working from my iPhone 3GS running iOS 6 without any changes to my settings.
New Visitor
Taxadvice

Thanks Beth

This does not seem to work on I phone 5 & IOS 6

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

I don't believe that. I just looked at the pages for iOS 6 on my iPhone 3GS. They match my old screenshots.

The iPhone user guide from Apple doesn't suggest that there have been major changes to mail:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Edit: One of you can send but not receive. The other can receive but not send. Didn't read carefully enough. You both have sending problems.

Sometimes it helps to change your password and then change it in BOTH places - incoming and outgoing. Retype the password.

Carefully make sure that you are using the correct ports and authentication. Save your settings by tapping Done or Save or whatever is on that page.

If it hasn't worked yet, delete the account on the phone and start over.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

One other thing to consider if outgoing isn't working and messages are just being dropped is that there is a problem with your signature. It may have a URL or phone number Comcast is associating with spam.

Edit: Another thing to try is making the name field really be your name and not Comcast. That seems to work for some people.

Visitor
DanMan74

Taxadvice. I got it. Go into settings, mail, comcast... Change user name on pop info to something other than comcast & then go into outgoing mail server & actuly put in a user name & your password. Auhentification "password" port 587, SSL on. Make sire server port in ada anced is 995. Save it all & U will be all good!!
Visitor
DanMan74

Make SURE server port in ADVANCED is 995. Sorry fat fingers ;-)
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Thank you, DanMan74.

So would this picture be better?

mailIncomingFix.jpg

Visitor
Srtan

Thanks for the help

IT WORKED>>>>>

Contributor

hello everyone,

i am having similar issues to the ones listed above and have had since the iphone 5 launched.

here are my specs first

verizon wireless, iphone 5, iOS6

i am using the native email app (not the xfinity connect one)

when i setup i use port 995 incoming, SSL enabled

outgoing port 465 SSL enabled

the weird part is that i sporadically get email to come through.  last night overnight, about 20 emails that were current loaded.

today no email is coming through, but when i send myself a test email, i can see the mail app looking, it shows the "Downloading 1 of 50 emails", it then gives me an indicator (mine buzzes on vibrate)

and then...

no email shows up.

is this happening to anyone else?

i can send emails from the iphone no problem.  gmail account is setup and works, exchange account is setup and works.

am thinking this can only be a comcast related issue. 

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

It may be that a message on the Comcast mail server is somehow corrupted and won't download to the phone. The phone's mail program and the server need to communicate about what has or has not been downloaded and sometimes one of them gets confused. Luckily not often. It seems to be more of a problem if you have a lot of messages stored on the server.

To check this out, sign in to the web-based mail - Xfinity Connect. Create a new folder called Temp. Move all the mail around where the transfer is getting stuck into the Temp folder. Then try to fetch mail again. If it works, move messages back from Temp to the Inbox. I'd do that in small bunches to narrow down the problem message.

New Visitor
garynancy

I have a slightly different problem.  I do not "see" my sent messages in comcast.  I see them for gmail, but only the inbox and trash show up under Accounts, Comcast in the mailbox.  Any ideas for this one?

New Visitor
garynancy

And as a followup, I had the "sent" box on the Iphone4.  weird.

Email Expert
Latoque

[ Edited ]
delete post

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor

wish i could say i could help, but my problem still exists.

i did try what the user above suggested about moving emails to other folders to see if i could isolate the corrupt one etc, but it didn't matter.  it would start working again for a few hours and then the next day wouldn't work whatsoever.

my email actually worked this morning at 9am and it hasn't worked since.

very very frustrating, especially as gmail is no problem at all.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Hmmm.  I don't know. I trust that when you set up this account, you said it was a POP account rather than IMAP. The settings  in my screenshots should work especially if for the "name" field you are using something rasonable like your name.

How frequently are you checking for mail? If you go to Setttings > Mail...> Fetch New Data, what do you have there? Mine is Off. Push is off, and Fetch is manual. Under Advanced there, you can set the schedule for all of your accounts. I don't know if any of the settings there would be causing your issues.

I trust that there are messages you have on the server that have not been removed by some other device. That is, if you send yourself an email, it will be picked up by the other devices but not by your iPhone.

garynancy, the Sent folder is specific to each device for the Comcast POP accounts. If you need to have synced sent folders, you'll need to work directly on the Comcast server. Even there, the Drafts folders will be different.

Contributor

BethKatz, i appreciated your feedback, however its becoming increasingly clear this is a comcast server related issue.

i get mail sporadically on a day by day basis and i don't change anything.

sometimes it works in the middle of the night and i wake up to it, others it starts working randomly throughout the day.

today is the best though, because despite me have "Show 100 most recent messages", my phone is in the process of downloading 11,000 emails right now because their server is obviously not recognizing something.

my guess all along has been that there has been a problem with date recognition as every time i would delete the account and sign up again, it would only deliver email that was from 30 days ago or older.

to answer your questions.  yes its POP, fetch is enabled every 15 mins.  default fetch ironically was manual.

all my email programs leave a copy of messages on server and don't delete so that wouldn't be an issue.

i don't ahve this problem on any other device or older versions of iOS so its got to be related to iOS6 and how the comcast mail server recognizes the request for data and then processes it...

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

tommanning, you do have a problem, but I don't know how you are going to resolve it if no one will acknowledge the problem. I'm out of ideas.

I set up my iPhone 5 with Comcast email in the Apple Store. Other than having trouble typing on the slightly smaller screen, it worked. I have five accounts set up (two are Comcast, one elsewhere, and two others on yet another server). I had to enter the passwords on all of them.

When I have some free time, I'll post new screenshots for settings.

Perhaps having so many messages stored on the server is part of the issue. My desktop deletes mail from the server when it grabs it. So I generally have few messages on the server. During the summer, I might have hit 1000 while on vacation.

Contributor

never been a problem before.  had an iphone 4, same amount of emails, same exact setup and no problem.

its definitely iOS 6 and its definitely how comcast is dealing with it.  i have no doubt their servers are taxed from the number of new devices etc.

and i know its not me because it would either work or it wouldn't.  not this sporadic it works sometimes and other it doesn't

the best part is that after it downloaded all 11k emails to my phone, it subsequently removed them and then stopped receiving emails again.

Brilliant!

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

You had the iPhone 5 set to remove the messages from the server when it downloaded them but had been leaving all 11,000 messages on the server previously? So now there are no messages on the server?

Contributor

no.  i do NOT have it set to remove messages from server.

it actually downloaded all 11k messages to my phone and then subsequently removed them from my phone.  when i use webmail via a normal computer my mail is fine and not affected.

it actually did it again this weekend too.

i gather techs are working behind the scenes on this but can't quite get it right.  we shall see.  i got email up til 7am this morning and then kaput.  no more email via my iphone.

webmail = fine

xfinity app = fine

mail app on iOS 6 = sporadic at best.

New Visitor
Tkozloff

Since switching my iPhone4 to ios6 I get a message saying that my password is incorrect about half the time I try to download Comcast email. Resetting the password did not help.

I don't have the problem using iCloud email, so I am thinking of just telling Comcast to forward all my mail to Apple. Has anyone tried this?

New Visitor
ljcapone

I have the same problem with my iPhone 5. Did you find a fix?

Lou

Contributor

give it time and it will rectify itself.  its clearly a comcast related issue. 

after a few weeks of this, i just downloaded the xfinitiy app and used it until the problem go resolved.  i do get my emails now through the iphone mail software, so someone on the comcast back end must have sorted it out.

just make sure you use the stock settings in this thread for port setup and you should eventually be fine.

Bronze Problem Solver

tommanning wrote:

no.  i do NOT have it set to remove messages from server.

it actually downloaded all 11k messages to my phone

You were suppposed to login to webmail and move all of the messages in the webmail Inbox into a webmail Temp folder. Did you do that? Since a POP client can only download messages that are in the webmail Inbox, it sounds like you didn't do that. There's the possibility of your client "gagging" on a message that Beth mentioned, but I'd guess that 11,000 messages are just too many for your email client to handle. Every time you check email your client has to download the Unique ID for every message that's on the server, and then compare those UIDs to the UIDs it had saved from the previous time you checked email. And then there's the matter of storing all those emails. There's a few places where things can go wrong there.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

Note that I did make corrections for my iPhone 5 and proper settings. See them here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Screenshots-of-iPhone-5-mail-settings/m...

As Steve noted, a POP email client needs to consider the headers of all the messages you are storing on the server. And if you are hitting the server frequently and have a lot of messages in your inbox, you have a lot of info going back and forth unnecessarily. Organizing your older messages into folders would probably increase your email client's efficiency. 

In my corrections, I note that the Name field needs to be something other than Comcast. That's because that field is what is displayed in recipient programs as your "name". Comcast doesn't want it to be misleading.

Also note that the username needs to have your user name and @comcast.net as well.

Visitor

This solution worked for me.  I was not able to send emails (could receive without a problem).  It would indicate that the emails were going, and I would see them in my sent box, but they would never be received on the other end.  I followed your advice to change to 995 and it now works.  Thanks for the solution!

New Visitor

I found that incoming mail port should be 995 and outgoing port 465 which fixed my problem of not being able to send email from the iphone.  My latest problem was when I changed my comcast password on their web site, I couldn't use it to reset my accounts on the iPhone 5 although it worked on my iPad, iMac and Macbook Air.  I couldn't send or receive comcast mail.  The genius store tech finally had me log on to the comcast web site from my iPhone Safari browser, successfully connect, then voila, my mail app on the iPhone 5 started working.  He says logging on successfully to the comcast web site (Xfinity) somehow makes Comcast believe my iPhone is a legitimate device.  Before then I kept getting a user name and password not correct when I attempted to add the Comcast mail account at the verification step. 

Contributor

I had the same issue happen with both ipad and iphone5 and comcast mail.  Ipad working fine with comcast mail for more than a year but stopped getting comcast mail two days ago.  Could send fine.  Iphone5 about two months old and worked fine with comcast email until friday.  Spent hours trying solutions, deleted on ipad and reinstalled.  All mail that came thru was 30 days old.  Everytime i deleted an email on the ipad, a new old email, an even older   one was added at end.

i have about 9000 emails on server (and i think at some point it tried to download all 9000 even though i have it set to hold only 100).  I started the solution of moving emails out of in box to folders, starting with the 15 or so that had arrived after problem started, thinking there might be a corrupt email in that group...no effect.  Then i started moving oldest emails on server to folders and removed everthing prior to 2012...bringing it down to about 1500.  Sent a new email to myself on comcast from a different account and....everything started working again!  Note throughout this, i could send emails from my ipad and iphone, but not receive.  Also interesting that i had the same problem on same comcast account with two different apple devices that had previously worked fine.  Final irony is i also have a blackberry that grabs the comcast mail and it was working fine, pulling comcast mail while the two apple devices were stuck.  Bberry uses a totally different system of down loading email so not sure why apple devices suddenly choked on comcast email...i was about to cancel my beloved bberry untl this happened!

Hope this helps others who suddenly face this issue.  I did not need to change ports or anything else..just reduce the size of inbox on server...have no idea what right size is and i wish i had found a note on comcast website that if your inbox gets too big, you may encounter problems with access from mobile devices other than thru their app (which was working fine but i prefer to download to my device so i can read mail if offline)

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Some guessing on my part here based on the number of photos on my iPhone ....

The iPhone Photos app uses 4 digits in its file identifiers. Now that I have taken over 10,000 photos, the numbers have wrapped around. Even though I don't have all those photos still on my phone, I have some old favorites. So I have duplicate file names when I open the photos from Image Capture on my Mac.

So perhaps there is a numbering problem with keeping so many messages on the server. And it may not be a particular count or size problem so much as a duplicate number problem. Perhaps.

Thank you, SMM20, for sharing your experience.

Comcast is stopping port 25. People should switch from that. Changing the Name field for outgoing so that it doesn't include Comcast also helps.

New Visitor
gonzodeb

If anyone is still having problems, I just got my email to work both incoming and outgoing by using the following settings: POP Account Information: Name: Enter your Account Name Email: Enter complete Email Address (Name@comcast.net) Description: Comcast Email Incoming Mail Server: Host Name: mail.comcast.net User Name: Enter complete Comcast Email Address (Name@comcast.net) Password: Enter your Email Password Select Advanced Incoming Settings: Use SSL : ON Authentication: Password Delete from Server: When removed from Inbox Server Port: 110 Outgoing Mail Server: Host Name: smtp.comcast.net User Name: Enter your complete Comcast Email Address (Name@comcast.net) Password: Enter your Comcast Password Use SSL: OFF Authentication: Password Server Port: 587 Thats how I got my COMCAST email to work. Hope this helps.
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

I made screenshots for the thread linked below to show settings that work:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Screenshots-of-iPhone-5-mail-settings/m...

Changing your password to have upper and lower case letters as well as digits, having the name field not include Comcast, and including the @comcast.net for the outgoing address might help.

Remember that Apple mail programs need to have the username and password in two places - incoming and outgoing.

Contributor

these are all the right settings for the iphone5 to get comcast email; just be aware that you might still encounter problems if your comcast mail box gets too big or has a "bad" email in it...then you might have to move your comcast mail (from your desktop) to another folder (out of your inbox).  That seems to fix it if you have a problem arise after you have been getting comcast mail for awhile...

New Visitor
kmorgan24

I was getting old emails - 30 days old, went on for a few days - and each day I got another day newer of emails (still 30 days behind).

I reset my settings a million times - what worked for me was going into the Xfinity and deleting a few thousand emails (I had over 22k) - as I was deleting and hit just under 18K emails left, all of a sudden my phone chimed that new emails finally started arriving.

Contributor

Yes.  That seems to be a solution, if everything else is set to the right settings.  Comcast seems to pick up mail differently that other providers..something about IMAP vs POP ..not sure what it is but it seems to cause this problem.  I think it may search your entire mail box for new mail, and if too big, it chokes up.  I notice every few weeks also, I see on my iphone that it is downloading 100 messages (to Comcast mail box on my iphone) which is the number I had set it at...something makes it think it has to refresh itself..I suspect.  Anyway, this is one solution that seems to help if the problem arises after you have right settings and had been getting the mail.

New Visitor
rogerc43

I feel your pain.  I just upgraded from iphone 4 and I COULD receive messages but not send them.  I really messed things upa nd now I can't even receive them!

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

I posted this yesterday evening showing a screenshot of the correct outgoing settings as well as other things to consider. I'm including the info below.

Are you positive that

- for smtp.comcast.net you are using port 465 with SSL and password authentication

- the name field is your name and not Comcast

- the username is your Comcast user name without the @comcast.net

- the server setting is ON

- your password is typed correctly and contains an upper and lower case letter as well as a digit

- you don't have a signature with a phone number or web address in it (sometimes the mail server drops mail silently if there is something that triggers a spam filter)

Have you force quit Mail and started it again?

Apple email clients need to have the password set and saved in two places - incoming and outgoing - and the ports are different.

Outgoing settings should look like this:

mailOutgoing.jpg

New Visitor

I too had the problem of my email suddently not pushing from Comcast webmail to my iPhone 5, after working fine previously.  I worked on the settings ad nauseum, with good help from Verizon, to no avail.  When I read the post about the problem possibly being a too big comcast inbox  (mine was about 15, 000 emails) I moved a bunch to a different folder.  That did the trick.  I had to move a LOT.  When my inbox was down to about 5,000, I began getting mail in both my iPhone and my iPad again.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Thank you for reminding us that storing too many messages on the server may be a problem for POP email clients.

New Visitor
ragamuffins1

I have found a solution that worked for me. Go into settings, mail, choose your comcast account, go into the settings for the outgoing server, choose the primary server, update your password (even if you haven't changed it).

After I did this it verified the server and allowed me to send mail out again after not being able to for a few months.

New Visitor
ssjarrell

Beth, after turning off the cloud your settings worked for me. Thank you!