New Visitor
mattj20

Not getting email from non-profit (PTA organization)

We operate a PTA (parent-teacher organization) that sends out newsletter emails weekly (usually twice a week) to a subscriber base of about 500.  We have noticed that ALL of our Comcast customers including myself are not getting the newsletters anymore.  I am the webmaster of the site (www.viewridgeschool.org) and really, really,really (please??) need help in resolving this!  Obviously some sort of spam filter is in play at Comcast based on either the send name (info@viewridgeschool.org) or subject line (usually is something like "Otter Update....").  I've seen one other post that talked about this same/similar issue and not 100% sure of how to resolve it - what steps do I need to take?  Who do I speak with at comcast to get this domain past the spam filters?  We are not spam - we simply have a large subscriber base that we send newsletters to - in fact we have a VERY strict subscription policy to get these newsletters...but then since they are confirmed to get them - then somehow they do not!  Seems to definitely be an issue with Comcast.net email addresses as hotmail, gmail, etc. accounts will get the newsletter emails just fine.  Please - someone help on this! 

Thank you, Matt

Recognized Contributor
MissyLaneous

Re: Not getting email from non-profit (PTA organization)

Try this (link below).

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/troubleshoot-blocked-emails/

mattj20

Thank you - that helps - I've clicked the link that you'd noted and filled out the form.  Fingers are crossed that someone at Comcast picks it up and resolves it. :-)

BTW - I'm not getting any bounceback whatsoever to the Newsletter admin account - so can't see any error message returned...it just simply disappears.  Comcast is obviously blocking it - so just need to get to the right person to unblock it.

Recognized Contributor
MissyLaneous

After you fill out that form, you should get an auto-reply 'thingie' from Comcast as to whether the IP address is on their blocked list.  Or at least I do.

Every now and again, Comcast decides that one of my UK friends (who emails from her work) is a spammer.   Good luck.  :-)

mattj20 wrote:

Thank you - that helps - I've clicked the link that you'd noted and filled out the form.  Fingers are crossed that someone at Comcast picks it up and resolves it. :-)

BTW - I'm not getting any bounceback whatsoever to the Newsletter admin account

And, just to be sure, that's definitely the account that does receive bounces when addresses on the list "go bad" for whatever reason?

- so can't see any error message returned...it just simply disappears.  Comcast is obviously blocking it - so just need to get to the right person to unblock it.

It sounds like it's not about blocking, but about the Spam filter. They're not quite the same thing. If the sending IP address was blocked (as suggested), Comcast would refuse the email, and you should get a bounce. The Spam filter is content based, and user settings determine whether an email flagged by the filter is silently discarded, put in the webmail Spam folder, or put right into the Inbox. Have you checked your webmail Spam folder (and made sure the Spam filter is set to keep a copy there rather than just throw it away)? I checked your domain, and it's not triggering the Spam filter. Another common trigger is a phone number. If it is about the Spam filter, give Customer Security Assurance a call at 1-888-565-4329 (M-F 9am-11:30pm ET, S-S 10:30am-6:30pm ET). It might help if you figured out exactly what is triggering the filter before calling. Dunno, though, maybe they could get a handle on it from the sender IP/email address.

New Visitor
mattj20

I received the auto-reply message from comcast, and of course the IP I supplied wasn't on their blocked list.  So now will go through all my IPs for this domain account and resubmit...hopefully one of those is the mailer IP and is on that blocked list.  I find it absolutely incredible that I have to do ALL this legwork for this!  Especially knowing the highway robbery costs that Comcast charges for their services...

I'll close this message once it's all solved - but MissyLaneous

New Visitor
mattj20

@Steve-Baker....I discovered since that I am getting some bouncebacks (didn't realize it before)...and it states:

<*********@comcast.net>: delivery temporarily suspended: host
mx1.comcast.net[76.96.62.116] refused to talk to me: 421
imta05.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later

so right now am going the route of resubmitting the form with all of the IPs that I can dig up on the account and if they still say that it's not on their blocked list then will call the number you suggest.
Thanks!

Bronze Problem Solver

mattj20 wrote:

@Steve-Baker....I discovered since that I am getting some bouncebacks (didn't realize it before)...and it states:

<*********@comcast.net>: delivery temporarily suspended: host
mx1.comcast.net[76.96.62.116] refused to talk to me: 421
imta05.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Try again later

so right now am going the route of resubmitting the form with all of the IPs that I can dig up on the account and if they still say that it's not on their blocked list then will call the number you suggest.
Thanks!

I'd guess that the sending IP address would be in that DSN in some fashion, although sorting that out can sometimes be tricky. That 421 "try again later" error indicates that the problem isn't about being blocklisted, nor about the content. If it was due to being blocklisted you would get an immediate bounce with a 554 error and a link to exactly why that address was blocklisted. It might be about rate limits. Calling that number would probably be your best bet.