Regular Contributor
itdoesntmatter

Ok, call me stupid but WHERE are my emails that have been Read going to?

I'm missing a folder or something because I can't access the emails I've already read from my Comcast inbox.  All I have is my emails that are unread.  If I go online from another computer and do a search for an email I can't even bring it up.  I've marked "leave emails on server" in my Outlook and for the life of me, I can't find it.  I see inbox, spam, trash but nothing else.  Is there no other option?  If there isn't, I don't think I like this very much. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Ok, call me stupid but WHERE are my emails that have been Read going to?

[ Edited ]

itdoesntmatter wrote:

I'm missing a folder or something because I can't access the emails I've already read from my Comcast inbox.  All I have is my emails that are unread.  If I go online from another computer and do a search for an email I can't even bring it up.  I've marked "leave emails on server" in my Outlook and for the life of me, I can't find it.  I see inbox, spam, trash but nothing else.  Is there no other option?  If there isn't, I don't think I like this very much. 

Open Smartzone and click on Preferences, then click on Email on the left side.  Scroll down to the Email Deletion Schedule.  Look at each Folder and the number of days that are ticked before messages are automatically deleted.  (Read, Unread, Sent spam, Trash)  Especially look at the READ Folder number of days.  Could the setting there account for why you cannot find the unread messages? Were they automatically deleted?

While there, make any changes that you want to make for each Folder, and make sure to click on SAVE when you are done.

If this does not explain why the Read messages are gone i would recommend immediately changing your password in both Smartzone and Outllok, and then run a full scan of your PC.

Post back please, if you need more help.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Service Expert
Bartleby

And while you're at it, make sure that the leave mail on the server setting is still there in Outlook (if you haven't). 

Also, is it safe to assume there isn't another e-mail client on your system that might have inadvertently been launched?

Regular Contributor
itdoesntmatter

No I only have Outlook.  I had the settings set for Never.  I rechecked that again. 

And yes, I have the Save a copy on Server in Outlook of course. 

There is NO BOX or FOLDER for emails that have been already read.  They have to be going SOMEWHERE. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

Go into Outlook, & navigate to the Advanced Tab (under more settings)  Scroll down to Delivery:  Re-check and make sure that neither of these below is ticked.

Remove from Server after ___ days

Remove from Server when deleted from the Deleted Items

You don't have more than one Profile set up in Outlook, do you?  If so, check all Profiles.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Regular Contributor
itdoesntmatter

[ Edited ]

I'm not new to Outlook -  I've been using it for years.   No, neither of those is checked. 

Never have been.  I can't possibly access those emails if I DON'T HAVE A FOLDER TO
VIEW THEM IN.  Does anybody else here have a folder for them?  Does it magically appear?

I am NEW TO COMCAST.  For some reason I am having trouble seeing all the "options" in the

so called control panel.  It is not "user friendly". 

Email Expert
CCCarole

itdoesntmatter wrote:

I'm not new to Outlook -  I've been using it for years.   No, neither of those is checked. 

Never have been.  I can't possibly access those emails if I DON'T HAVE A FOLDER TO
VIEW THEM IN.  Does anybody else here have a folder for them?  Does it magically appear?

I am NEW TO COMCAST.  For some reason I am having trouble seeing all the "options" in the

so called control panel.  It is not "user friendly". 

Smartzone does not have a separate folder for viewing read messages.  All messages you receive, read or unread, are in the INBOX until you delete them by manually deleting them from the Inbox, by a setting in the Email Deletion Schedule, or by interaction with an email client. Here is a screen shot of the left side of my Smartzone page showing the folders:
Left of sz.jpg
Perhaps looking through some of the information in this LINK will help you to understand how Smartzone is set up and how it works.  LINK
There are also links to the Smartzone Tutorials as part of my signature at the end of my posts.

Email Expert
CCCarole

A suggestion... If you like Outlook, why not use it, and not use Smartzone at all? You don't have to- Just have all your messages downloaded to Outlook & removed from the server when downloaded. 

Regular Contributor
itdoesntmatter

Why don't I just use OutlookBecause I like to look up an email on the Server on another computer.

The only emails that show up on Comcast are the "new" emailsOnce they are in my inbox and I sign

out they disappear .  Then all I see are the new emails once again.  Or none.  I tried to search for an

email and it didn't even show up. 

Email Expert
JR071702

itdoesntmatter wrote:

Why don't I just use OutlookBecause I like to look up an email on the Server on another computer.

The only emails that show up on Comcast are the "new" emailsOnce they are in my inbox and I sign

out they disappear .  Then all I see are the new emails once again.  Or none.  I tried to search for an

email and it didn't even show up. 

If your e-mail is disappearing from the Inbox and you are not running another e-mail client that would be downloading the messages from the e-mail server (and removing them), then you should immediately change your password and make it a "strong" password.

This will prevent any unauthorized e-mail client from continuing to "pop" your Comcast Inbox.

Of course, you will have to supply the new password to your Outlook client.

Here is a link to a Microsoft article called Strong passwords: How to create and use them which is good reading on the subject.

JR

Email Expert
CCCarole

Bronze Problem Solver

itdoesntmatter wrote:

out they disappear 

What Carole said is right on:

"Smartzone does not have a separate folder for viewing read messages.  All messages you receive, read or unread, are in the INBOX until you delete them by manually deleting them from the Inbox, by a setting in the Email Deletion Schedule, or by interaction with an email client."

It sounds to me like Outlook is deleting email after downloading it. Is it possible that you have several accounts configured in Outlook, and you're looking at the wrong account to confirm the "leave messages on server" option? Maybe the Outlook configuration is messed up and it's saying that it's doing "leave messages on server", but it really isn't (configuration corruption). I'd turn on logging (if available in Outlook... if not, I'd use Wireshark) to see what actually goes on when checking email. If you see "dele" in a mail checking session, the client is deleteing email from the server after downloading it.

I don't know anything about Outlook, but I'd bet that it has a logging feature, and I'd bet that folks here would help you out with it if you wanted to check it out.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Hi there - you've received some excellent suggestions on how to start troubleshooting this. Please let us know if you'd like more help or if the suggestions have resolved the problem.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
Email Expert
CCCarole

Regular Contributor
itdoesntmatter

Comcast has the WORST user friendly web hosted email client configuration I've ever seen.  Seriously?  You really expect us to LIKE THIS?!

Our settings are:  Schedule Email Deletion  30 Days 45 Days 60 Days 90 Days 120 Days Never

Oh - But the "Never" doesn't work.  They just don't tell you that one.  It's more like immediate delete for me. 

I thought Knology was bad but Comcast has truly taken the Cake, the Icing and the Plate. 

THIS is some SERIOULSY BAD PROGRAMMING.  It should and could be corrected. 

I can't believe you want US to go in and HAND SAVE emails to a folder. 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

itdoesntmatter wrote:

Comcast has the WORST user friendly web hosted email client configuration I've ever seen.  Seriously?  You really expect us to LIKE THIS?!

I can't believe you want US to go in and HAND SAVE emails to a folder. 

Why can't you believe it? Gmail, yahoo, and hotmail won't automatically save mail to a folder. You have to HAND SAVE them to folders in those and other web based mail. When I had DSL there was no folder that read mail automatically went into.

Email clients don't automatically save mails to a folder. Once again, you have to save them to folders yourself.

Web hosted email client configuration-what does web hosted mail have to do with configuring an email client? 

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.