Visitor

Outlook 2003 Receiving Mail Problem fixed

Yesterday I could no longer receive emails in Outlook 2003. After spending hours changing settings talking to Comcast support that told me it was Microsoft issue. I went into my network adapter settings and clicked off IV6. This immediately resolved the Outlook error 0x80040FC.

New Visitor

Re: Outlook 2003 Receiving Mail Problem fixed

Thanks, that did it.

6/6/2012 was supposed to be when ipv6 went live permanently.

So much for Comcast alerting folks.

New Visitor
Dageorge

Thanks for the help.  Thanks for saving me the hassle on the phone. 

New Visitor
hg_tx

I had a similar problem with Outlook 2010.  Similar to others, I made multiple calls to Comcast Tech lines over the past two days and NOBODY was aware of the issue.  This AM I found this forum, read the last few posts, switched off IV6 and was back in business in seconds.  Thanks for posting!

Official Employee
jlivingood

hg_tx wrote:

I had a similar problem with Outlook 2010.  Similar to others, I made multiple calls to Comcast Tech lines over the past two days and NOBODY was aware of the issue.  This AM I found this forum, read the last few posts, switched off IV6 and was back in business in seconds.  Thanks for posting!

This is actually kind of unusual and I'd like to understand more. What version of Windows do you have? Were you connecting via WiFi or wired Ethernet? And what home gateway (router) are you using, if any?

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
Visitor

I am using Windows 7 on a Linksys Router E4200. I tried it wired and over wifi. Both ways gave me the error message unless Ipv6 is turned off.

Contributor

Windows 7 Pro 64bit; Cisco/Linksys 4200 v2. Firmware 2.0.37. MSOffice 2003 Outlook.

No adjustments to router config.

Win 7 Networking/Adapter parameters, disabled ipv6.

This was necessary individually on 3 home systems.

Contributor

Can you try enabling IPV6 on the interface and connecting the computer directly to the modem?  Does the error go away, in that case?

Also with V6 enabled, can you open an command prompt and

1) install telnet: pkgmgr /iu:"TelnetClient"  (or see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771275%28v=ws.10%29.aspx#bkmk_installVista)

2) telnet to pop: telnet 2001:558:fe14:70::33 110

what is the result?  If successful you should get "+OK POP3 ready"

3) trace route: tracert mail.comcast.net

Private message me the results.

Visitor

I played around with my ipv6 settings on my E4200 router this morning. The default settings are ipv6 automatic enabled. If you change this setting to disabled. The go to the Network Setup 6rd tunnel setting and change it to Automatic Configuration. Outlook works fine with ivp6 turned on in the network adapter.

New Visitor
Hutch_1

Thank You Thank You Thank You!  I was dreading spending half of today unplugging and replugging my modem (which seems to be Comcast's primary procedure for troubleshooting) just to be told that it is a Microsoft problem and that I should go talk to them.

Sorry, but I really don't know anything about network adapter settings, I am not on a network, just computer, printer, and modem.  Could turning this off have any negative effect on anything else that I do?

Contributor
ViperGeek

Kudos for finding IPv6 to be the root of all evil (with respect to e-mail problems).  I discovered the same thing and posted my epiphany to a different topic:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Comcast-net-e-mail-issues-with-username...

- Dave

Visitor

Turning off IPV6 also fixed my issue as well.

Outlook 2003

Win 7 64 bit

Contributor
martin1223

IT WORKED! After Microsoft answer desk said that, it would cost me $99 to try to fix the issue with Outlook they finally gave me a tech who tried to fix it remotely. He even went into my registry but could not fix it. No one had any idea that the IPv6 protocol is causing the problem. The tech upgraded it to a senior tech who is suppose to call me back, but I canceled it and requested the answer desk agent pass it on to Microsoft so they can develop an update. Comcast, my provider said they added the protocol IPv6 to IPv4 on June 6, since then what a lot of aggravation. Imagine how many millions this issue affects. THANKS AGAIN!

martin

Contributor
martin1223

Footnote…

You can always go back and re-check IPv6 if there is an issue. Some sites may only include that protocol and you would not be able to connect to it. However, the change would take years to complete and maybe by then, Microsoft would have issued an update. Only God and Microsoft know…

The FCC, Microsoft and ISP’s should have worked it out before allowing it to go public…

martin

Official Employee
jlivingood

martin1223 wrote:

Footnote…

You can always go back and re-check IPv6 if there is an issue. Some sites may only include that protocol and you would not be able to connect to it. However, the change would take years to complete and maybe by then, Microsoft would have issued an update. Only God and Microsoft know…

The FCC, Microsoft and ISP’s should have worked it out before allowing it to go public…

martin

Turning off IPv6 is IMO going to be a long-term problem for folks. 

One question is what company makes your PC and where you bought it, and whether you are current on MSFT updates.

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
Contributor
martin1223

[ Edited ]

This obviously, is a short-term work around… Yes, I am current on MSFT UPDATES, the company that makes my pc is DELL, and I bought it online from DELL, and my ISP is COMCAST who added the IPv6 protocol presumably, to comply with the FCC, and I am using MICROSOFT OUTLOOK, and I know turning off the IPv6 is going to be a long term problem. That is why I hope companies like MICROSOFT, ISP's like COMCAST come up with some sought of solution.

Visitor

I am assuming this is an Outlook 2003 issue, correct?

Is the IPV6 also an issue with Outlook 2007? 

I ordered Outlook 2007 yesterday just so I can turn back on IPV6

Contributor
martin1223

Anyone interested here  is the FCC site on IPv6:

http://www.fcc.gov/blog/countdown-ipv6-0

Microsoft needs to create an update for their office products, at least for Outlook no matter what version!

Contributor

Totally up to date, with the exception of using MSOffice 2003 (Updated).

I build my own custom systems, have been for many years.

New Visitor
Hutch_1

I found an article on itexpertvoice.com which says that Microsoft mixed up how the interface identifier should be created even though Microsoft engineers helped write the RFC 4941 standard.  They suggest that you can force Windows 7 to use the correct method by issuing the command

netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled

from a DOS prompt

I'm wondering if this makes sense to anyone before I try it

Contributor
martin1223

[ Edited ]

06-11-201203:38 PM

Kudos for finding IPv6 to be the root of all evil (with respect to e-mail problems). I discovered the same thing and posted my epiphany to a different topic:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Co​nnect-Help/Comcast-net-e-mail-issues-with-usernam...

- Dave

___

06-11-201203:30 PM - last edited on 06-11-201203:41 PM

I'm not sure if this is the "resolved" problem Comcast is speaking of, but my wife just brought me her netbook complaining that she hasn't been able to check Comcast e-mail since June 2, 2012. I just went into tech support mode and tried just about everything, including changing her password to something more complex (it didn't help).

Finally, I used old-fashioned 'ping' to check whether mail.comcast.net was reachable. It was, but the fun part is, it returned an IPv6 address. Realizing that Comcast doesn't natively support IPv6, but many many places do, I thought that perhaps they were trying to roll out new IPv6 service and so disabled IPv6 on my wife's netbook. Sure enough, 100+ e-mails immediately started downloading.

So, it's a shot in the dark, but if your PC is somehow picking up an IPv6 address -- ironically, the preferred protocol in Windows 7 -- you may be reaching out to a Comcast service that isn't quite ready for prime time. If so, try disabling (unchecking) IPv6 within Control Panel -> Network andSharingCenter-> Change adapter settings -> right-click Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection and select Properties, then uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).

-

Dave

___

Dave,

I am confused in what you are saying:

“So, it's a shot in the dark, but if your PC is somehow picking up an IPv6 address -- ironically, the preferred protocol in Windows 7 -- you may be reaching out to a Comcast service that isn't quite ready for prime time.”

Are you saying that my Outlook is attempting to draw e-mail from my Comcast e-mail website that is not ready for the IPv6 protocol?

Martin

Contributor
martin1223

[ Edited ]

06-12-201202:27 PM

I found an article on itexpertvoice.com which says that Microsoft mixed up how the interface identifier should be created even though Microsoft engineers helped write the RFC 4941 standard.  They suggest that you can force Windows 7 to use the correct method by issuing the command

netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled

from a DOS prompt

I'm wondering if this makes sense to anyone before I try it

What's the hyperlink for the article?

New Visitor
Hutch_1

http://itexpertvoice.com/home/troubleshooting-ipv6-on-windows-7-and-why-its-worth-the-bother

I know there are people more knowledgeable than me on this thread, that's why I am asking for some feedback on what these guys are saying

Official Employee
ComcastJohn

Can someone here, who experienced a problem, send some more detailed information like the IPv6 prefix of the address that was assigned to your computer?  Also, was/is Symantec Endpoint Security or a software package like it installed?  I chased this down for another customer/friend today and we need to make sure you are using the right ports for mail *and* are authenticating.

Please post additional details.

Thank you,

John Jason Brzozowski

Contributor

IPv6:    2601:7:6500:3a:

Temp:  2601:7:6500:3a:

DNS server:  2601:7:6500:3a:

This is when IPv6 is enabled in Win7 Adapter settings....

It still kills the email when on.

It hits Comcast and Gmail accounts.

Contributor
ViperGeek

Hi Martin.

Globally, Windows 7 will prefer to resolve a DNS name via IPv6, then try IPv4.  On my Windows 7 PC, mail.comcast.net translates to 2001:558:fe14:70::33 (IPv6).  With IPv6 disabled, mail.comcast.net translates to 76.96.58.11.

I use Thunderbird for e-mail, so it's not an Outlook-specific problem.  It would seem that, at the moment, Comcast's IPv6 mail server(s) aren't quite ready to let us check e-mail.

- Dave

Contributor
martin1223

[ Edited ]

Hi Martin.

Globally, Windows 7 will prefer to resolve a DNS name via IPv6, then try IPv4.  On my Windows 7 PC, mail.comcast.net translates to 2001:558:fe14:70::33 (IPv6).  With IPv6 disabled, mail.comcast.net translates to 76.96.58.11.

I use Thunderbird for e-mail, so it's not an Outlook-specific problem.  It would seem that, at the moment, Comcast's IPv6 mail server(s) aren't quite ready to let us check e-mail.

- Dave

___

Thanks, Dave for the current information...

Martin

Official Employee
ComcastAnthony

[ Edited ]

Are those having the issue, connecting via IPV6, connecting through a router or directly through modem?

If you are getting an error and are connected through a router, would you please try connecting directly to the modem and see if you get the same error?

Visitor

I solved my issue. 

Bought Office 2007 for $150, enabled IPV6 and all is well.

2003 was too old anyway

Contributor
martin1223

[ Edited ]

As I thought…When you told me that your Outlook 2007 was working with IPv6 connected, I got suspicious since hg_tx has Outlook 2010 and his didn’t work and ViperGeek (Dave) said he used Thunderbird for e-mail and he had trouble with it. His impression was Comcast’s IPv6 mail servers were not quite ready, and he was right. So I just now switched on the IPv6 and my Outlook 2003 still receives e-mail.

Earlier today, I called Comcast on an unrelated issue and I asked the technician about this issue and for the first time the tech. acknowledged that not all the servers are compliant with the new protocol but they are working on it...

Like I said, the providers, FCC, and major software companies need to coordinate their efforts when they launch a new protocol, and there will be other protocols necessary in the future…

Contributor
martin1223

[ Edited ]

Sorry Folks,

My Outlook stopped receiving email; It was working for a short time with the 6 enabled. I had to disable it again.

Contributor

Help, oh please help

I have tried everything, including switching off ivp6 and resetting my router.  Same problem exists:  0x800408FC.  Coming up on 3 weeks of not being able to receive comcast messages through Outlook 2003

Contributor

Just to Clarify, did you disable IPv6 in Windows?

Windows start menu > Network > Network & sharing center > Change adapter settings > You should see your NIC adapter > R click > Properties > (About the 7th item down) Uncheck "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).

Hope this helps?

Contributor

yes I did disable it, no luck  I think I am going to give up.  Just had a long conversation with a comcast tech, he couldn't help me. 

Regular Visitor

I just wanted to add my Outlook 2003 stopped working this past week. 

I fixed it today (Sat 6/22) by looking at this post and countless others.  I disabled 'ipv6 ' but then since I had changed/checked settings in my email accounts, it reversed itself and now I could receive, but not send. 

I finally decided to change to 995 / 465 (not 995/587) and this worked.  I am able to both send and receive *now*. 

My question is since others have said this is only a temporary fix -- would you recommend upgrading Office 2003 and thus Outlook 2003 as permanent fix to this issue?  (hope someone is still reading this ...lol) 

Thanx in advance!

~Jag~

Contributor

I have done everything -- absolutely everything.  My solution?  I deleted the comcast email address from my OUtlook, went out to comcast and put a forward on all my mail to another address that I am using on Outlook that does not have the problem.  But...I am still hoping for a solution.  And yes, my issue started on June 6.

New Visitor
WDA0007

How can I do this?  What is the IPV6/

Help!  I am miserable

Contributor

Don't worry about IPV6.  In Outlook, change the pop3 name from mail.comcast.net to Comcast's IP address:  for me it is 76.96.26.11. 

New Visitor

can someone please tell me what the IV6 is?  Im having the same problem.

Email Expert
CCCarole

gman2001 wrote:

can someone please tell me what the IV6 is?  Im having the same problem.

This link contains information on IV6.

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/ipv6_ipv4_difference.html

Please reply with the problem younare having in detail please and we will try to help you.

Are you using Outlook 2003 for email?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
debbysue

I found out that after I unchecked the IPV6 setting, closed out, tested Outlook and all receiving mail was received that I could go back in and recheck IPV6 setting and it still worked.

martin1223 wrote:

06-11-201203:38 PM

Kudos for finding IPv6 to be the root of all evil (with respect to e-mail problems). I discovered the same thing and posted my epiphany to a different topic:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Comcast-net-e-mail-issues-with-usernam....

- Dave

___

06-11-201203:30 PM - last edited on 06-11-201203:41 PM

I'm not sure if this is the "resolved" problem Comcast is speaking of, but my wife just brought me her netbook complaining that she hasn't been able to check Comcast e-mail since June 2, 2012. I just went into tech support mode and tried just about everything, including changing her password to something more complex (it didn't help).

Finally, I used old-fashioned 'ping' to check whether mail.comcast.net was reachable. It was, but the fun part is, it returned an IPv6 address. Realizing that Comcast doesn't natively support IPv6, but many many places do, I thought that perhaps they were trying to roll out new IPv6 service and so disabled IPv6 on my wife's netbook. Sure enough, 100+ e-mails immediately started downloading.

So, it's a shot in the dark, but if your PC is somehow picking up an IPv6 address -- ironically, the preferred protocol in Windows 7 -- you may be reaching out to a Comcast service that isn't quite ready for prime time. If so, try disabling (unchecking) IPv6 within Control Panel -> Network andSharingCenter-> Change adapter settings -> right-click Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection and select Properties, then uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).

-

Dave

___

Dave,

I am confused in what you are saying:

“So, it's a shot in the dark, but if your PC is somehow picking up an IPv6 address -- ironically, the preferred protocol in Windows 7 -- you may be reaching out to a Comcast service that isn't quite ready for prime time.”

Are you saying that my Outlook is attempting to draw e-mail from my Comcast e-mail website that is not ready for the IPv6 protocol?

Martin