New Visitor

Outlook 2007 - Can not connect to smtp server NOTE: Currently out of the country

Using Outlook 2007 I can receive emails but can not send. I can not connect to an smtp server.  I think this has something to do with me being out of the country.  Being blocked?  Spend a great deal of time on this vacation trying to resolve with no luck.  Specific location is Istanbul.  Anyone have any ideas about this issue?

Recognized Contributor
dummycvg

Re: Outlook 2007 - Can not connect to smtp server NOTE: Currently out of the cou

What you would want to do is possibly change the port numbers to the travel sevure settings.

From the Tools menu, click on Account Settings

Highlight the Comcast.net account and click Change

Verify that your mail settings are correct and click More Settings

In the Internet Email Settings window, click the Outgoing Server tab and check the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication box. 
The Use same settings as my incoming mail server radio button should be selected as well.

On the Advanced tab, enter 465 in the Outgoing mail (SMTP) port number field and 995 in the Incoming mail (POP3) field.  For both, click This server requires a secure connection (SSL).

Once settings are changed, Test Account settings and hopefully you will bypass the SMTP error.

Ley us know if problem continues....  

New Visitor

Re: Outlook 2007 - Can not connect to smtp server NOTE: Currently out of the cou

I have applied these suggestions but also have another issue which I forgot to mention.  I also am repeatedly asked for logon and password for send.

Recognized Contributor
dummycvg

[ Edited ]

When you are in the Outgoing servers tab, You want to make sure that My outgoing server requires authentication is checked and that the radial underneath that, "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" is bubbled in to see if that will make the error go away and make sure the password is correct in the Log On Information page.

New Visitor
MartyProett

I still can not connect to smtp using port 465 settings