New Visitor
Gforce202

Outlook 2007 won't send email

Hi folks,

I've setup outlook 2007 properly. Port 110 for incoming and 587 for outgoing with no security.

"Server requires authentication" is checked. 

Here is the catch. I type a "New Email" and hit send. The email leaves Outbox It actually shows on the "Sent Items" folder. The problem is the email never reaches its destination.

I'm receiving emails normaly and I'm able to reply. 

I just cant get it to send it as a new email.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Outlook 2007 won't send email

Gforce202 wrote:

Hi folks,

I've setup outlook 2007 properly. Port 110 for incoming and 587 for outgoing with no security.

"Server requires authentication" is checked. 

Here is the catch. I type a "New Email" and hit send. The email leaves Outbox It actually shows on the "Sent Items" folder. The problem is the email never reaches its destination.

I'm receiving emails normaly and I'm able to reply. 

I just cant get it to send it as a new email.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Are you getting any error messages?  If so, please copy/paste the entire error message in your reply.

Below are the settings I have always used for Outlook 2007.

Outlook 2007:

1. choose Tools
  2. choose Account Settings
  3. choose the Email tab
  4. click on your Comcast account to highlight it
  5. choose Change
  6. enter Your Name (whatever you want to appear on your messages)
  7. enter E-mail Address (your full Comcast email address)
  8. choose POP3as the Account Type
  9. Incoming mail server is mail.comcast.net
  10. Outgoing mail server is smtp.comcast.net
  11. enter User Name (your Comcast user ID, the part before "@comcast.net" in your email address)
  12. enter Password
  13. check "Remember password"
  14. make sure “Logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” is NOTchecked
  15. choose More Settings
  16. go to the Outgoing Server tab
  17. check “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”
  18. choose “Use same settings as my incoming mail server”
  19. go to the Advanced tab
  20. choose SSLencryption for both incoming and outgoing servers
  21. change port number to 995 for incoming, 587 or 465for outgoing
  22. bump up the Server Timeouts slider to the high end
  23. Click OK, Next, Finish

Turn off whatever email scanning your anti-virus package is doing. Comcast already scans incoming email for viruses, and your outgoing email isn’t going to be infected unless your machine is already infected, so there’s no point checking it all the time.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
Gforce202

There are no error messages.

I'll try changing the port # to 465 for outgoing. The weird part is that I can reply to any email and it'll go through with no issues.

The problem is when I create a new email. It shows it's sent but the recipient never receives it.

I have disabled the firewall and still nothing. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

Make sure to have SSL ON for both, and SPA is off.  Also try sendinjg yourself a test message from Outlook 2007.  Do you get it?  Is this ha[ppening witl all new messages you compose or only certain ones?  Do you maybe have a url link, phone number, image as a siganture in your messages?

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
Gforce202

It happens with all the new messages I compose. And yes, I do have url links, and images as a signature.

What's bugging me also, it that I have it set up on a laptop (Windows XP though) and it works just fine, no glitch there.

Let me try turn on SSL for both and SPA off. I'll report back shortly.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Try sending without the signature.

Comcast filters outgoing email in an attempt to reduce spam emanating from it's networks. URL's and phone numbers in a signature may result in the message being discarded without notice.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
New Visitor
Gforce202

The problem was the signature. A specific link was blocking the message to be sent. The minute I removed it, it worked just fine.

I appreciate all the support and replies. :smileyhappy:

Is there a way to report the link I'm sending "NOT SPAM" so I can re-add to my signature?

Again, many thanks! 

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

Gforce202 wrote: ... Is there a way to report the link I'm sending "NOT SPAM" so I can re-add to my signature? ... 

Comcast Customer Security Assurance should be able to help you with this: 1-888-565-4329 (M-F 9am-11:30pm ET, S-S 10:30am-6:30pm ET), http://security.comcast.net/get-help/contact-comcast-security.aspx.

New Visitor
debrabee

Re: Outlook 2007 won't send email (Comcast Email and a GoDaddy Domain Email)

Okay my peeps!  A couple of weeks ago my emails stopped sending out (both Comcast & Godaddy domain).  Go figure.  After spending 2 days trying to figure this out I figured it out by going to different forums.  I tried things until it worked.  I tested both and they both are now working once again.

Problem:  My emails (both a comcast email and a godaddy domain email) would not SEND OUT.  I was able to receive from both emails but could NOT send in Outlook 2007. Ugh!

First for the Comcast email:

• Pop E-Mail Tab: Incoming Mail Server (POP3) is set to mail.comcast.net
  • Pop E-Mail Tab: Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) is set to smtp.comcast.net - DO NOT check mark Require Secure password authentication (SPA)
  • Outgoing Server should be check marked "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
  • Advanced Tab: Incoming Server (Pop3) set to 110 DO NOT check mark server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
  • Advanced Tab: Outgoing Server (SMTP): set to 587 set use the following type of encrypted connection to NONE

Okay - now for my own domain through go-daddy:

• POP E-Mail Tab: Incoming Mail Server (POP3): is set to pop.secureserver.net
  • POP E-Mail Tab: Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) is set to smtp.comcast.net - DO NOT check mark Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA)
  • Outgoing Tab: should be check marked "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
  • Advanced Tab: Incoming Server (POP3) set to 993 MAKE SURE YOU CHECK MARK This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
  • Advanced Tab: Outgoing Server (SMTP): set to 465 MAKE SURE THE "use the following type of encrypted connection is set to SSL on the little drop down menu.

I am like a dog with a bone and won't give up until I figure it out.  I sent godaddy support a trouble ticket and TOLD THEM IN THE SUMMARY that I could not send OUT emails.  so they sent me an email and needed a response.  What a bunch of idiots!

Hope this helps somone out there to fix there email issue

Email Expert
madylarian

You should be able to use the same setup for your personal domain as you do for Comcast.  For both my personal domain and Comcast's email I use port 465 should with SSL enabled.  The important thing to remember is the username and password you use for authentication.  For your personal domain it must be your Comcast username and password, NOT the same as the one for downloading email.

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
New Visitor
debrabee

I appreciate your comment but you are wrong. After spending 2days on this I know what worked and what didn't. Thus the reason for my post. I wanted others that were getting the run around from Comcast the real solution and not have to waste time on trying things that were not going to work.
Bronze Problem Solver

debrabee wrote:

Okay - now for my own domain through go-daddy:

• POP E-Mail Tab: Incoming Mail Server (POP3): is set to pop.secureserver.net
  • POP E-Mail Tab: Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) is set to smtp.comcast.net - DO NOT check mark Require Secure Password Authentication (SPA)
  • Outgoing Tab: should be check marked "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
  • Advanced Tab: Incoming Server (POP3) set to 993 MAKE SURE YOU CHECK MARK This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)

That's wrong. The POP3 port is 995. Port 993 is the IMAP port.

Email Expert
madylarian

debrabee wrote:
I appreciate your comment but you are wrong. After spending 2days on this I know what worked and what didn't. Thus the reason for my post. I wanted others that were getting the run around from Comcast the real solution and not have to waste time on trying things that were not going to work.

If I'm wrong why has this setup been working for me for 15 years?  I've had my own personal domain since 1995 and have had Comcast since 1998, when it was Comcast@Home.  SInce that time I have been able to send mail using Comcast's mail server or my domain host's mail server.  If one is down I can just switch to the other with a few mouse clicks.  The only change I had to make was to change to port 587 when using my domain host's servers, which had to be done when Comcast closed port 25.  I've had Comcast's smtp server set up to use port 465 for about 7 years now, with no problems.

So I can assure you it works when set up properly.

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
New Visitor
barbandmatt

I have tried both of the settings mentioned here and I cannot send any mail...when I test account settings I always get the same error message...Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). 

Outlook acts like it is sending the e-mail, but when I go to close Outlook it says that I have e-mails that have not been sent.

I get this with 587 and none as well as 465 and SSL.  Very frustrating.  I am at a point where I would just go back to using comcast e-mail if I could figure out how to change the default back to comcast.  but I haven't figured that out either.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Please copy/paste the ENTIRE error message you get in Outlook for review.

The settings for Outlook 2007 listed here should work.

POP ( Incoming port) should be Port 995 with SSL ON
SMTP (outgoing port) should be Port 465 with SSL ON
THIS SERVER REQUIRES AUTHENTICATION must be checked
SPA(SECURE PASSWORD AUTHENTICATION should NOT be checked

I used these exact settings for years with Outlook 2007, and used the same settings with Outlook 2010 until I switched to IMAP.

IF you don't want to use Outlook, you can delete the account in Outlook. But- if you delete it, you will lose all email in it. So, you might want to just remove the password in Outlook so it doesn't connect.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

barbandmatt wrote: ...when I test account settings I always get the same error message...

Outlook's "test" function is not reliable. Try sending a simple message to yourself. Does it send? If not, what is the complete error message? If it sends OK, do you receive it?

New Visitor
BRG-Jag

I recently started having problems sending Outlook email thru my RCN smtp email server while connected to the Comcast modem in my house. "Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."

When I connect using a wireless modem at other locations, I do not have a problem connecting to the RCN SMTP server. So it is the Comcast modem that seems to be blocking the smtp connection to the RCN server. Although I use a wireless router to connect to the Comcast modem, I have the same problem when I directly connect to the Comcast modem. (I  can connect to the Comcast SMTP server for my outgoing emails.)

New Visitor
SSummers

After weeks of loosing business and money you are correct!  The problem is that comcast won't fix the problem without charging me.  I do not have the money to pay them to fix my issues.  URG!  This is so frustrating!  I will loose my job if I don't have my signature in their way.

New Visitor
SSummers

I meant LoPhat was correct where it was the signature.

New Visitor
kat880

Try unmarking the box for remember my password.  It worked like a charm for me after two weeks of dickering around with comcast.