Visitor

Outlook 2010 - not receiving emails from Comcast POP3

Just set up Outlook 2010 for email (Windows 7)

I can send email from Outlook, but am not getting the new emails from Comcast (comcast.net).

Have set up my profile a few times, everything checks out as complete.

I receive the test email -- but at comcast.net.

Help. Why do you think the emails are not coming to my Outlook Inbox?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Outlook 2010 - not receiving emails from Comcast POP3

MsDMartin wrote:

Just set up Outlook 2010 for email (Windows 7)

I can send email from Outlook, but am not getting the new emails from Comcast (comcast.net).

Have set up my profile a few times, everything checks out as complete.

I receive the test email -- but at comcast.net.

Help. Why do you think the emails are not coming to my Outlook Inbox?

Have you carefully checked all of your Outlook settings againest those recommended in this clickable link?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Visitor

Thanks for your info.

Still having the same problems.

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

I googled your issue with Outlook 2010 and Win7 and found quite a few hits with the same issue but could not locate a resolution.  For example: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/thread/d12c84cc-bec1-4faf-8ed3-03afd4b578a6

Maybe also read through the information here>  LINK   

I use both Outlook 2003 and 2007 on my PC's....My settings are:

Pop 3- port 995

SMTP- 465

Outgoing server requires Authentication is ticked

SSL is ON for both ports

Hopefully someone else that is using Outlook 2010/Win 7 can help you further.:smileysad:

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Official Employee
ComcastSteve

Going to try and see if I can duplicate the issue on my end. Will reply with results.

Steve Teow

Frequent Visitor

Your post prompted me to do some research and testing since I use Outlook 2010 with Win7.

As far as I can tell, Comcast hasn't provided specific information for Outlook 2010 but the 2007 instructions should still apply. Your link to Comcast George's procedures say to set POP3 to port 995, SMTP to either port 587 or 465, and to enable SSL for both. Those unfortunate enough to follow Comcast's Outlook 2007 FAQ at http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?Guid=7d38f2f2-2bd8-4e67-8666-766f05136514 are told to set POP3 to port 110 and SMTP to port 587 with no encryption at all (really).

I tested the various combinations and found that when SMTP is set to port 587, TLS encryption must be used; SSL fails every time. Likewise, when SMTP is set to port 465 SSL works but TLS always fails. The AUTO setting also failed. CCCarole, could you double check your SMTP setting to verify that you're using SSL and not TLS?

I hope this helps.

Email Expert
CCCarole

I tested the various combinations and found that when SMTP is set to port 587, TLS encryption must be used; SSL fails every time. Likewise, when SMTP is set to port 465 SSL works but TLS always fails. The AUTO setting also failed. CCCarole, could you double check your SMTP setting to verify that you're using SSL and not TLS?

I hope this helps.

I just saw your post, sorry for the delay in responding.

In Outlook 2007 I can have SMTP with port 465 and SSL on.  I can also have SMTP with port 587 with SSL on OR port 587 TLS on.  I use 995 for Pop3.

Under the Outgoing Server:  Do you have 'My server requires Authentication' ticked?  I do.

I don't have Outlook 2010, but wouldn't think there would be a change in 2010 tho.... But there could be. 

I will do some research and see if I can find anything different mentioned when using 2010 and Win 7.  Will post back if I do find anything different.

Bronze Problem Solver

1MoreCcVictim wrote:

I tested the various combinations and found that when SMTP is set to port 587, TLS encryption must be used; SSL fails every time. Likewise, when SMTP is set to port 465 SSL works but TLS always fails.

In most versions of MS email clients there is only an SSL option. If the port itself isn't encrypted (SSL) those clients transparently "fall back" to using TLS (or "TLS if available"). Looks like Outlook 2010 has joined the list of clients where the user has to explicitly choose SSL or TLS. They're mutually exclusive, and, unfortunately, this forum archive is littered with the general advice to use port 587 with SSL enabled.

Bronze Problem Solver

CCCarole wrote:

In Outlook 2007 ....  I can also have SMTP with port 587 with SSL on OR port 587 TLS on

Interesting. What are the options in that dropdown list?

Email Expert
CCCarole

steve-baker wrote:

CCCarole wrote:

In Outlook 2007 ....  I can also have SMTP with port 587 with SSL on OR port 587 TLS on

Steve- So you know, I did try both (587 with SSL on and 587 with TLS on, both worked for me in Outlook 2007.  is this the the screen shot you wanted?

CC

Outloook 2007 Drop dwon for SMTP.JPG

Frequent Visitor

CCCarole wrote:

steve-baker wrote:

CCCarole wrote:

Steve- So you know, I did try both (587 with SSL on and 587 with TLS on, both worked for me in Outlook 2007.  is this the the screen shot you wanted?

CC

Carole & Steve,

Thanks for your followup. The Outlook 2010 account setup screens appear to be identical to the 2007 edition. I tried searching for any changes/differences for the encryption settings between the two versions but I couldn't find anything. Strange.

Since I also have my Gmail IMAP account set up on Outlook 2010 I tried changing the encryption settings just to see what would happen. Google's instructions are for incoming (IMAP): port 993 with SSL, and SMTP: port 587 with TLS. Again, changing SMTP to SSL failed but, this time, the AUTO setting worked.

Carole, if you have a Gmail account (and way too much time on your hands) you might want to try experimenting just in the interest of science.

Bronze Problem Solver

CCCarole wrote:
  is this the the screen shot you wanted?

Yes, that's what I was curious about, thanks!

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Glad to hear this is working for you.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin