New Visitor
AlissaroseA

Outlook 2013 and comcast email

I have read through many different problem solving with conecting my outlook I have tried everything and can not figure it out.. I have Windows 8 and Outlook 13.

Bronze Problem Solver
cjerian

Re: Outlook 2013 and comcast email

Did you try the instructions for outlook 2010, it is the closest version

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/setting-up-outlook-2010/

Windows 8 mail can not be setup with pop, but windows live mail can be downloaded.

If you have Outlook 2013 it should be about the same as outlook 2010

Visitor
JerryG01

I started to have the same problem.  My outlook 2013 is set up like the 2010, ports, etc. BUT I cannot log on to the incoming server.  Help?

Email Expert
CCCarole

JerryG01 wrote:

I started to have the same problem.  My outlook 2013 is set up like the 2010, ports, etc. BUT I cannot log on to the incoming server.  Help?

Please copy/paste any error messages you are receiving for review. 

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Visitor
JerryG01

I'm not receiving any error messages.  Outlook just hangs there on "logging into incoming server"  Processing. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

It sounds like you may be missing a setting in Outlook.  Re-check all settings.

POP should be 995 with SSL ON

SMTP should be 465 with SSL ON

This server requires authentication must be checked

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Visitor
JerryG01

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry, this doesn't work.  Test account settings hangs, then I have to press "stop" cancel and "outlook stopped working"  "restart?" etc.  It recovers data and restarts.

New Visitor
gatordoyles

if we set up a beta account as you stated, can we still see the emails in a pop account on another computer?  or will they all be migrated to the new account? 

more than one person mentioned more than one device is being used, and i would like clarification to this debockle.  we have computers at home and the office, and the office is pop3 and windows xp.  home is a new computer with outlook 13 and windows 8.  just out of the box...

please help...

Visitor
JerryG01

Sorry all.  It turns out my datafile was corrupted, because after running the repair tool scanpst.exe, the pop mail works fine.  The settings that showed up were pop 110 smtp 587, only authentication for outgoing.

New Visitor
yuhrong

I was having the same problem...here is the solution for outlook 2013:

Incoming mail server: pop.comcast.net

Outgoing mail server: smtp.comcast.net

click more settings near the bottom right corner and go to the Outgoing Server Tab, then check the Outgoing Server (SMTP)box,

then check the "use same settings as my incoming mail server"

After that go to the Advanced tab and check the first box "This server requires......(SSL)"  The Incoming Port # will change from 110 to 995...leave it at 995

Change the outgoing server port from 25 to 587. 

This should get you connected...good luck.

New Visitor
gatordoyles

thanks for the try, but windows 8 wont allow pop 3 servers, which is what we are all talking about.  this is only the solution for a pop 3 server, which apparently comcast insists on using, and windows wont allow.  nice try though.  anyone else have a solution for me?  we are still stuck with two computers...one for email and the other for work...

Email Expert
CCCarole

You can sign up for the beta of IMAP with Comcast.

The URL for the registration site is https://xcbetasignup.comcast.net/ Once registered your account will be moved to our Beta platform and will be accessible via IMAP within 72 hours.

Contributor

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro Win8 with 2013 Office loaded.  I just configured Outlook as POP3 client to Comcast POP mail.

The above settings are correct but misssing one item you need to set type of encryption in the Advanced Tab to 'TLS'.

Works for me.

=D~~Brandy

New Visitor
sgforsberg

Anyone having difficulty adding their comcast email to Outlook 2013 (using Windows 8) should simply go to the comcast/xifinity web site, search office 2013 comcast email, and follow the step by step instructions for Office 2010. There are no instructions for 2013. I tried this set up on my new Toshiba laptop and it worked successfully - after many tries of following the various advice/tips I found on google searches.
Contributor
k_p_m

no luck here - followed it to a T and still no email in or out.

had 3 Comcast techs put me on hold today while they researched - phone disconnected and they did not call back even though i confirmed they had my call back number.

Looks like Comcast has no answer to getting email working in Outlook 2013/Windows 8 at this time:  wish they would just state that and save everyone lots of time and aggrevation

Contributor

k_p_m

Could you give a brief description of your hardware ane any details on the error msgs?  Also do you have another syastem on comcast with a working mail client?

As I mentioned above it works for me it is neccessary to add the encryption type as te last step.

=D~~Kilted

Contributor
k_p_m

brand new system:  Dell XPS 8500 desktop    Windows 8   MSOffice 365 Home Premium - which includes full version of Outlook 2013.  All is working but outlook with Comcast account.

old  system:  Dell xps 420 desktop with Outlook 2007 was working with Comcast account.

error msgs i am getting on new system in outlook:

• !task  my email @comcast.net -  Sending reported error (0x8004010F): Outlook data file cannot be accessed.
  • !task ' my email @comcast.net - Receiving reported error (0x8004010F): Outlook data file cannot be accessed.

I checked the settings again - and did the test which sent me an email saying:

This is an e-mail message sent automatically by Microsoft Outlook while testing the settings for your account.

Unfortunately, Outlook/Comcast is not working on new pc and i had to log on to old pc to do my email.

I do appreciate your quick reply last night: that is refreshing - and now i am hopeful that you can help me work through this.  thanks in advance!

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

You can register for IMAP beta thru this clickable link.

https://xcbetasignup.comcast.net/imap_trial/web/

Contributor
k_p_m

Thanks - i just registered for the beta - looks like it will "migrate my account" within 72 hours,

have a great day - i will keep you posted on progress:  i am hopeful!

Email Expert
CCCarole

FYI- I have been using the beta IMAP since the very beginning.  No problems with it at all.

Carole

Email Expert
CCCarole

You can try this too for Outlook 2013:

Incoming:

pop3.comcast.net

port 995

SSL

Outgoing:

smtp.comcast.net

port 587

TLS

Bronze Problem Solver

CCCarole wrote:
Windows 8 Does not support using Pop.

You keep saying that, but it simply isn't true. It's true that the native Win 8 email client doesn't support POP, but that says nothing about the OS. It would be just as true to say that Win 7 doesn't support POP because it shipped with *no* email client.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Steve, I edited my post and I posted the settings for Outlook 2013.

Thanks, CC

Bronze Problem Solver

k_p_m wrote:

• !task  my email @comcast.net -  Sending reported error (0x8004010F): Outlook data file cannot be accessed.
  • !task ' my email @comcast.net - Receiving reported error (0x8004010F): Outlook data file cannot be accessed.

Here's what MS have to say about fixing that:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2659085

Contributor
k_p_m

Steve and Carol [hope i got your names right]

i truly appreciate your assistance.

Since i have signed up for the BETA - seems like a good idea to not "add to the mix" and create more problems at the moment.  Hopefully, the Beta will let me know when the account is updated.  I will ck in 72 hours if i hear nothing.

if that does not work, i will try what Steve has just sent. 

I have already rechecked all the settings [again] and nothing has improved there.

thank you both so much for keeping the communications open and moving on this.  i would have given up otherwise.

KPM

Contributor

K_P_M;

From the error message this looks like a user profile or data file problem.  Since it does not work blow away your current user setup.  Re-create the user and aloow Outlook to make a new .pst file the try your connection again.  Donot try to create the new user by point to an old .pst file.  I've never had that work.  I always created a new .pst file and then did then point the new account at the old .pst to retreive the old calender, contacts, ... I even did this over the phone to help a friend recover from a system crash.

=D~~Kilted

Contributor
k_p_m

just now getting chance to pick up where i left off last weekend.

got emal regarding the "beta" account setup from Xfinity and took a stab at it.  sure looks like this has nothing to do with outlook. looks like it i s all about windows 8 and using Windows 8 email:  not my goal. Still - i have no email showing up in that in box.   some old email showing up in some folders - not making sense.

i want to use outlook 2013.

will try the last ref you just posted regarding pst files.   thanks again for guidance.  may take a couple days to get thru this: got senior citizen lined up for surgery tomorrow.  thanks for your patience.

Contributor
k_p_m

2 hours solid and i am just not successful in accessing my comcast outlook email folders to be able to reply to this. 

i am told i am a very patient person.  this is truly testing that.  was unsuccessful even using web2mail to get access to outlook folders on comcast account -- said "invalid" yet it is valid as here i am! 

not sure if signing up for the comcast/xfinity beta has added another roadblock or not.  trying to maintain same access infor for now.

gonna print this while i can and try to follow advise given.   getting ready to give up on comcast as this is the only issue with new pc that i have not been able to "cope" with. 

hanging in as long as you do and i do appreciate your help.  I want this to work!  I am not giving up on Comcast unless i have to.

KPM

Contributor
k_p_m

Kilted - gonna try your guidance now - just exported fresh data file from old pc.  Not so sure i follow what you mean by re-creating the user-

---  i have previously changed the "PC settings user"  [Microsoft accounty user] which added outlook files folder in the "Homegroup" for that user.    that previously did not make work, but i will try again with new pst file to see if that works -- just want clarification that this is what you are telling me to do.

Contributor
k_p_m

my coffee is starting to kick in - believe you are saying to recreate outlook mail profile.  i just googled on that and will try that along with your directions above

Contributor

Yea, while seaching be sure to search outlook 2013 and not outlook.com.  Just create the new account, import the old.pst after the mail account is working.

=D~~Kilted

Contributor
k_p_m

i followed the how to for creating new outlook profile -

being very carefull to incorporate the incoming and outgoing pop settings given by cccarole above in post of 5-12-2013 14:24pm

allowing outlook to make a new pst file per Kilted post of 5-13-2013 12;33pm

went to test it and getting internet security warning:"the server you are connected to is using a security certificat that cannot be verified.  the target principle name is incorrect."

giving me options to view certificate [and take other actions]  or to say yes or no to "do you want to continue using this server?"

Afraid my ignorance is really showing here:  not sure what to do????

Contributor
k_p_m

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm

Kilted - this is the link i found for the profile -   not finding any other ..... is this not what you had in mind?

Contributor
k_p_m

just found www.nau.edu/its/learn/exchange/outlook-2013/EmailProfile

will try it.

if this doesnt work, i will be taking the pc back and getting one with windows 7:  just talked with store where i bought it and they have one waiting for me - say they are disappointed about comcast/windows 8/outlook issues......

hopefully this next/last attempt works -- any other last chance adivce is greatly appreciated -- here goes...

Contributor
k_p_m

finished setting up new outlook 2013 profie using the link i posted below - did not change any settings and accepted all default options as is

sent myself a test email - no show.

will now go change pop setting per earlier posting and send another test

Contributor
k_p_m

been at it all day,   removing new set up    .....  all come back to internet security certificate cannot be veririfed - target principle name incorrct...

enough:  taking pc back and getting one with windows 7

Contributor

k_p_m

Sorry to hear of your trouble.  Check posts 12 & 20 above sounds like the encryption was not set, Check port settings & advanced tab setting for TLS encryption.

=D~~Kilted

Contributor

k_p_m

Sorry to hear of your trouble.  Check posts 12 & 20 above sounds like the encryption was not set, Check port settings & advanced tab setting for TLS encryption.

Hate to tell you that Win7 Outlook 2010/2013  setup is the same.

=D~~Kilted

Contributor
k_p_m

hmmm

thanks for heads up -- just got home with windows 7 tower.

perhaps i will have better luck starting from scratch.

sure hope i dont have to go back to Vista......

Contributor
k_p_m

you are correct: same exact issue on windows 7 as is on windows 8

outlook 2013 still have certificatation issue i can not resolve.

so now i am trying to use the imap beta [ which i have signed up for and got email saying good to go - but no instructions]:  again, i am not computer literate enough to figure out what the steps are.  please give me a list of the steps to be taken to get this activated.

i am now on the "add account" window and have chosen the "IMAP" account type. 

am i to use the same incoming and outgoing mail data as for the pop3 per message 21 above?

what is to be used for certification name and questions that follow?

Contributor
k_p_m

well - feel like i have been left to hang and no help left.

guess it is time to say goodbye to comast.

been a bad experience and no solution in sight.

Contributor

k_p_m

Sorry but I know nothing about IMAP setups for help you will need to call Comcast.

=D~~Kilted

Contributor
k_p_m

CCCarole:   you made following post earlier -   i beleive the issue i am having is related to the "server requires authentication" detail you note on the last line below.  Initialing in the setup i was able to get into the detail of that - but did not know how/what to change - so left as was.  Now i can not figure out how to get to that detail - and still do not know what it should be changed to.   DO YOU KNOW? OR KNOW WHO I CAN CONTACT TO FIND OUT????   kpm
-----------------------
‎03-04-2013 04:30 PM

It sounds like you may be missing a setting in Outlook.  Re-check all settings.

POP should be 995 with SSL ON

SMTP should be 465 with SSL ON

This server requires authentication must be checked

-------------------------

Email Expert
CCCarole

When you go into the settings on Outlook, THIS SERVER REQUIRES AUTHENTICATION is located under the Outgoing server tab. You need to check the box.

Here is a link to all the settings for Outlook 2010, including screenshots. You use the same settings. In 2013.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/setting-up-outlook-2010/

Contributor
k_p_m

CCCarole -

i am cautiosly optmistic that i am up and running: 

1. i changed the outgoing server tab setting by cking the box for THIS SERVER REQUIRES AUTHENTICATION as noted im your last posting.
  2. i used the screenshots [again] as in the link http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/setting-up-outlook-2010/ EXCEPT FOR THE FOLLOWING:
    • ITEM 9  do not ck the box "requires long on using secure password authentation (SPA) - it fails when i do -   instructions dont tell you to ck it, but i beleive some posting did.
    • ITEM 13 specifically says do not ck the box for "this server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) -- i left as is -- beleive come posting says you need to ck it.
    • ITEM 15  looks like someone did not proof it:  fortunately someone posted to select "TLS" from the pull down menu and hit ok:  I did and it worked

Now i will add my pst file and see if things are really working.

Can not beleive it has taken so long to get to this point.  I hope this summary helps others.  I will keep a copy for my own future use and hope i wont need it.

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

k_p_m wrote:

CCCarole -

i am cautiosly optmistic that i am up and running: 

1. i changed the outgoing server tab setting by cking the box for THIS SERVER REQUIRES AUTHENTICATION as noted im your last posting.
  2. i used the screenshots [again] as in the link http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/setting-up-outlook-2010/ EXCEPT FOR THE FOLLOWING:
    • ITEM 9  do not ck the box "requires long on using secure password authentation (SPA) - it fails when i do -   instructions dont tell you to ck it, but i beleive some posting did. <<<< Do not click this one
    • ITEM 13 specifically says do not ck the box for "this server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) -- i left as is -- beleive come posting says you need to ck it.
    • ITEM 15  looks like someone did not proof it:  fortunately someone posted to select "TLS" from the pull down menu and hit ok:  I did and it worked

Now i will add my pst file and see if things are really working.

Can not beleive it has taken so long to get to this point.  I hope this summary helps others.  I will keep a copy for my own future use and hope i wont need it.

Which Port are you using now for SMTP?  It can either be 465 with SSL on, or Port 587.

Here are all the possible email settings.

email seetings.JPG

Let me know it everything is working now too.

Carole

Contributor
k_p_m

using 587

now working on where to copy my pst file to-   have all files unhidden -- wish me luck!

Contributor
k_p_m

looks like my files are working.

time to finish setting pc up and get other programs installed:  i think i am well on my way to a funtioning pc.

will need some time to learn more about Office 2013 -   take some tutorials - then come back and clean up  some outlook files/folders.

sure hope my notes help others out there.

THANK YOU CC CAROLE FOR STICKING WITH ME!

Email Expert
CCCarole

You are very welcome!  Glad it is workig for you finally! :smileygrin:

See the information in this clickable link when you have time.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/training-courses-for-outlook-2013-HA104032127.aspx

Carole

Email Expert
CCCarole