New Visitor

Outlook Express Message download slow and often times out...

We need some help.  Our Outlook Express 6 client has been running without any problems for well over a year.  All of the sudden we are struggling to download e-mail.  Almost every time we try to pull down messages we time out.  This has been happening for over a week now.  It is getting so bad that we are forced to use the web page to retrieve our e-mail.  We have not loaded any new software on our PC - and clearly we didn't touch any of the Outlook Express settings.  Is anyone else having this same problem?  I have searched for posts - but all of them are months if not years old.  I have alrady confirmed my Outlook Express settings are correct by using Ask Comcast.  Again - we did not change anything and all of the sudden we had problems.  I work in IT - so I am not completely clueless on how to use software - but there is something I am missing here....help please.  Thanks!

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Outlook Express Message download slow and often times out...

When was the last time you compacted Outlook Express? It might help if you do compact OE.

See Compacting messages in Outlook Express which will explain exactly what compacting messages is, and why you may be seeing that message. It's possible that you don't have a lot of kept mail; however, OE stores messages within a database, which tends to grow in size and degrade the perfomance of OE. Even previously deleted messages that are removed from OE take up space in that database.

When you delete an email in Outlook Express, it is moved to the Deleted Items folder. The message disappears from its original folder, and when you empty the trash, it disappears from there, too.

In neither case is the message removed from the file on your disk immediately, however. Editing files for this is a slow process, and you'd have to wait or experience Outlook Express responding slowly whenever you deleted a couple of emails. This is why deletion merely hides the messages from view.

Having all your deleted messages still on disk means a lot of space that can be reclaimed is wasted over time, and if Outlook Express has to keep track of too many obsolete messages this itself can mean a slowdown of certain actions.

Compacting your folders will REMOVE all the records that you have deleted. It may simply be a case of to many so called deleted messages are sitting somewhere on your computer, taking up drive space.

You DO NOT have to download the tool mentioned in the article in order to compact OE messages.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Email Expert
CCCarole

A couple of other things could also be contributing to this.  Under the Advanced tab in OE, check the amount of Time set under Server Time Outs.  If set too often, it can cause a problem.  I have mine set to five minutes.

Are you noticing that you are receiving messages which contain a large attachment?  That can slow things down too.  Do you have alot of messages stored? The storage limit is 1.8 G for pst files, and will lock up at

2 G. 

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor

Thanks for the input.  I have compressed my Personal Folders several times over the past couple of months...but maybe I had been building up too much mail.  I deleted a bunch of old e-mail messages, compressed the folders and restarted my pc.  All appears to be working fine now.  Thanks for the input!

New Visitor
theslush

YES YES YES. i have been struggling with this now for a month or so. i recently got rid of IE and Avant as my browser and installed Opera 11.0, i thot maybe that might have something to do with it but it doesn't make sense that it would. so i called comcast today, they're useless as they pretend not to know anything about OE or anything like that (altho we know they really do). the only other thing i can think of is it must be tied to that  Norton virus sw they give you. i bet anything it's ckng each and every part of every email b4 letting it thru.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Did you try any of the suggestions posted?

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Networking Expert
Baric

Single best thing you can do is compact your folders.

File -> Folder -> Compact All Folders

If you have folders with a large number (thousands) of message, break it down into smaller folders, when folders get too big, OE starts to have trouble.

Another thing you should do is defrag your hard drive.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Also, know that the Outlook Express storage limit is 2G, once it reaches that limit, it locks up.

CC

New Visitor
theslush

unchecked Comcast's Norton incoming email scan - which isn't smart because it cks for everything b4 hitting your email, anyway, that really helped this problem so it's got to have something to do with that.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Comcast scans all incoming email already, no need to have your antiv virus scanning incoming email.