Contributor

Outlook Express & port numbers

I've always used OL express for email. Also the default setup has worked OK. We are away from home on Vac. & I checked my email for a couple days and all went well. Then I started having trouble sending mail. I checked the servers and settings and it seemed OK. After reading FAQ's and such I contacted your chat people and they directed me to a procedure to setup OL express when away from home. It basically had me change port numbers and check some settings. This worked just great and seemed to be faster than before, maybe thats my imagination. I'm just confused about the port number deal and why the default settings worked for a while then stopped. This isn't a big deal so it's not urgent, just wondering. Anyway thank your chat people.
Recognized Contributor

Re: Outlook Express & port numbers

A number of us have found that the "travel" settings for email clients work better, and just stick with them all the time.

The default settings probably worked for a while because you were only receiving messages, not sending them.  The default settings will often work OK for receiving, even when you're not connected to Comcast's network directly (like you are at home).  On the sending side, however, the default settings will work only when you're hooked to Comcast directly.
Email Expert

The ISP that you're using while traveling probably decided to block port 25. This is becoming pretty common.
Contributor

Thanks to both of you for the reply's and they make sense. I did send mail with the previous settings but after a few days I got that problem. I am mainly trying to understand the different port number's and such. It definately works faster this way. Most times the mail is DLed before it's completely open. This makes me wonder how many other things I may have not completely correct that can effect performance.