Visitor

Outlook Express emails back to xfinity

Outlook Express emails back to xfinity - I clicked a email hyperlink. the OE boxes pop up. I think I get rid of them. What I really did was send everything in my xfinity email inbox to Outlook.

I just want to put them back in xfinity and use xfinity.

How do I get OE inbox emails back into xfinity inbox.

what settings do I have to fix to stop this from happening?

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Outlook Express emails back to xfinity

When you click on a mailto: link, the browser will start your default email client, which in your case is set to OE.  In OE you have setup your Comcast account but have not selected the option to leave messages on the server, so when it starts, it downloads and deletes all your messages on the server (this is pretty standard default behavior for email clients so stuff doesn't accumulate on the server).  You have a few choices:

1. Check your system's default email client to none.

2. Go into OE and change the account settings to Leave a copy of messages on the Server (on the Advanced tab).

3. Go into OE and delete the Comcast account definition.

4. Stop using Xfinity Connect and just use OE (or any other email client, really).

Personally, I'd go with #4.

To get your mail back into Xfinity Connect, you need to forward the messages to yourself.  I don't think OE supports redirect, so if you want EXACT copies back in your inbox, you need to install Thunderbird, import your messages, install the Redirect add-on, then redirect all messages to yourself.

Visitor

I use xfinity because I can access anywhere. Never lose emails if something happens to my computer.

Are those functions available with outlook?

Networking Expert
Baric

People always say that, but then they rarely if ever use it anywhere but home.  And even if you use an email client, you can still use XFC if you happen to be away.  I have no clue why people insist on using a crappy web page for an email client.

As for restoring if something happens to your computer, you have backups, right?  If not, you sure as heck should.  Your hard drive WILL crash sometime, taking all your stuff with it.  It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when, we ALL get hit with it sooner or later.  Which is why we all have backups, right?  As for the specific issue of email backup, besides your normal backup, you can configure it like I said to leave a copy of messages on the server.  So even if you lose everything, once you get your system back online, all your mail is still there in the inbox waiting for you.

New Visitor
adl8008

I just tried this and it says that outlook express can't find comcast. But yet it managed to move all my emails from my xfinity inbox to outlookexpress inbox. I just want my emails put back into my regular exfinity inbox without deleting anything.

Official Employee
ComcastKen

adl8008 wrote:

I just tried this and it says that outlook express can't find comcast. But yet it managed to move all my emails from my xfinity inbox to outlookexpress inbox. I just want my emails put back into my regular exfinity inbox without deleting anything.

Hello adl8008,

It depends if your using POP or IMAP protocols.  It sounds like you are using POP, since your email is being downloaded and removed from the Xfinity Connect email side (IMAP does not download emails locally).  First thing you should check is under your advanced options on Outlook Express.  There is an option to "Leave a copy of message on server".  You should keep this checked so no email gets downloaded and removed from server side.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to put back emails on Xfinity inbox.  The only way I can think of is to email every message on your outlook express back to your Xfinity email address (after you turn on the feature in Outlook to leave a message on the server).

Hope this helps.

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley
New Visitor
adl8008

Thanks but the problem i'm also having is that for some reason if I try to foreword or send the emails back to xfinity, it says that outlook express can't find comcast. Why is that? I ste up outlook express using POP3 and the proper incomoing and out going servers:
mail.comcast.net
smtp.comcast.net
Did I set this up wrong?

Email Expert
CCCarole

adl8008 wrote:

Thanks but the problem i'm also having is that for some reason if I try to foreword or send the emails back to xfinity, it says that outlook express can't find comcast. Why is that? I ste up outlook express using POP3 and the proper incomoing and out going servers:
mail.comcast.net
smtp.comcast.net
Did I set this up wrong?

Please post the entire error message you are getting please.

This clickable link contains all the correct settings for Outlook Express.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/configure-outlook-express-xfinity-internet

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.