New Visitor

Outlook reported error (0x800CCC0F) -> Not Norton AV -> Long post

Started 8-6-2003 approx 2pm. Was not making ANY changes to my computers at that time.

The ERROR When using POP3 via Outlook, Outlook Express I get the error: Task 'myemail@comcast.net - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I have spoken 3 times with "Live Chat" and 5 times on the phone.

The problem is with me trying to connect via POP3 using Outlook and Outlook Express.

This happens on 3 different computers (On 2 different email accounts). None of which have Norton Anti-Virus. (nor is Zone Alarm installed)

Computer 1)
*Win2K all patches applied
*Outlook Express
*Does NOT have Norton Anti-Virus installed,

Computer 2)
*Win2K all patches applied
*Outlook Express

Computer 3)
*XP all patches applied
*Outlook

I do connect through a firewall which I have triple checked. And I have bypassed my internal network (firewall) and connected directly to Comcast with the same error.

I am able to connect using the webpage fine. (Let us all keep in mind that the webpage is on port 80 and not on 25,110)

I can connect to other POP3 servers that are not Comcast accounts just fine with no error.

I cannot delete emails off the comcast servers using Outlook. Everytime I connect via POP3 it either times out or tries to re-download all the emails.

I can test my account from within outlook ("test account settings") and receive an email that says. "This is an e-mail message sent automatically by Microsoft Outlook's Account Manager while testing the settings for your POP3 account."

I have:
* Verified that I am not over the 10Mb limit.
* Installed 2 patches on MS-Office
* Verified that my windows software is up to date.
* Verified I connect to the servers (telnet smtp.comcast.net 25, telnet mail.comcast.net 110)
* Pinged both servers successfully.
* Deleted emails via the webpage. (comcast suggestion)
* Connected to other POP servers with no problem.
* I have changed my port numbers to the secure port numbers of 465,995. (Comcast suggestion)
* I have connected through the webpage and deleted multiple emails seeing if that was the problem. (comcast suggestion)
* I have searched Google groups -

http://www.google.com/groups?as_q=0x800CCC0F%20comcast&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=m&lr=&hl=en

* I have searched the Comcast Forums. (BTW I am not the poster "anonymous" who seems to also be in the same boat)
* I have run ad-aware. (grasping)
* I have stopped all other processes after a clean boot and still get the error.
* I have given Comcast my username and password for both email accounts. However from what I can tell (and they have told me) is that they are testing it logging into the web based email portal. (not the same thing folks)
* I have selected "Remove email from server" with Outlook. It removed my email but I still have the same problem.
* I have changed Outlook settings to "My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
* I have reset the Cable modem
* I have logged into the webpage and disabled SPAM scanning through www.comcast.net.
* I have unplugged my Linksys Access Point from the network. (I am not connecting through it....just desperate).
* I have downloaded, installed and ran mCAfee Visruscan. (as of tonight) (nothing found) (I have since uninstalled it)
* I have run tcpdump on the external ethernet card to verify that it was connecting. (On the firewall)
* I have rebooted EVERYTHING.

I believe the problem is with Comcast on their POP3 server and not on my end (my guess is it is out of swap space, disk space, running at high load, or a recent upgrade has taken place). I have spent at least 20 hours trying to fix my email from the client side.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND. This is happening on 3 different computers with 2 different email accounts, none of which have Norton anti-virus.

-----------
This was a cut and paste from the Comcast support person on one of my Live Chats:
hmmmmm> Also, shoot the email to me a few times, our work email servers have been acting up lately <----

I have an open ticket that has been closed by Comcast 3 times, I have a tracking number of 4740609. Because they can log into the account via the webpage they believe the problem is fixed.

Arghhh. Tonight I tried to get a supervisor/manager on the helpdesk line and was put on infinite hold.

If anyone has any suggestions or if someone within Comcast could contact me please.
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Outlook reported error (0x800CCC0F) -> Not Norton AV -> Long post

Anonymous said:
> I cannot delete emails off the comcast servers
> using Outlook. Everytime I connect via POP3 it
> either times out or tries to re-download all the
> email

Then you say:
> * Deleted emails via the webpage. (comcast suggestion)

So does the Inbox using the Webmail interface show zero emails? If it's not empty, move them all to some other folder, or better yet, delete them all.

Based on the error and the first comment, I'd say one or more of the emails in the Inbox are somehow bad, causing the mail server screw up somehow. Many others started having this problem around the same time. I expect that Comcast did something to the mail server at that time, or maybe the server crashed and corrupted certain things. Not cool, but it happens sometimes.

If the inbox is empty but there are other folders with stuff, I'd empty each of them completely and then go empty teh Trash folder.

If it still doesn't work then I have no clue. Since you get the same thing on all systems, it must not be your local config (unless you have the same config problem on all systems which is kind of unlikely).

Good luck.
New Visitor

I'm with you! There is something different after the recent upgrade. I have spent the last 2 hours talking to tech support and playing with my outlook configuration without any luck. Then i finally decided to look on this website and I found that others are having the same issue. Imagine that.
Most Valued Poster

Everytime I connect via POP3 it either
> times out or tries to re-download all the emails.
========================================================
Please read what I had posted several days ago with regards to this problem.
Since you do NOT have Norton Antivirus or any other antivirus/firewall program then move down to solution # 2 and 99/100 times, this WILL resolve the issue for you.

1. Norton Antivirus. First thing you can try is leaving your antivirus program running, but disable the scanning of incoming messages until you at least download all your messages.
( you can put that check mark back in after you receive all your messages )

The reason it may be failing is because you have a " corrupt message " sitting on the server.
---------------------------------------------------------
If the message is corrupt, then Antivirus program has a hard time scanning this message and thus " times out/terminates connection " with OE.

2. Another option to try without having to disable scanning of incoming message ( especially if worried about possible virus coming in not detected ) would be to log into the comcast.net site, go into your webmail, and delete/move messages to different folder or off of server
**anything you dont want/keep**

Chances are, once you rid yourself of the " bad " message, it will not happen for awhile, but never any guarantees.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
New Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions.....

I have already deleted all of my email off the 1 account.

I have disabled the Comcast Spam scanning via the webpage (comcast.net).

And the problem is occuring on 2 differrent email accounts on 3 different computers with 2 different clients (OE and Outlook).

And they all became "broken" at the same time.

But with all that being said.....thank you for any and all suggestions.
New Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions.....

If I go to delete individual emails. (e.g. have Outlook set to delete emails after removed from the "deleted folder" they do not get removed and get re-downloaded again.

I then went and set Outlook to remove all email on the server. Which it did after several attempts. I then verified via the webpage (Comcast.net) that all the emails were in fact gone. I then sent several emails from a non-comcast account to the comcast account. I then tried to retrieve email from the comcast account and received the same error.

I also have disabled the Comcast Spam scanning via the webpage (comcast.net).

And the problem is occuring on 2 differrent email accounts on 3 different computers with 2 different clients (OE and Outlook).

Baric said:
"If it still doesn't work then I have no clue. Since you get the same thing on all systems, it must not be your local config (unless you have the same config problem on all systems which is kind of unlikely)."

Thank you Baric! Now if I can just figure out how to convey that to the Comcast helpdesk. :-(

outatime
New Visitor

anonymous I have called 5 times and been on Live chat 3 times. Everytime the ticket goes to 2nd level support the IT dude logs in via the webpage and says all is fine and closes the ticket. It is the POP3 server that is toasted (and/or possibly just my 2 email acccounts).

anonymous where are you located. I am *really* grasping here since I do not know how Comcast is configured internally but maybe we are the poor 2 souls that are on the same messed up server?

I am in Aurora, IL. (Does this help....probably not but I am really willing to check anything).

What I cannot seem to convey to Comcast tech support is that this is happening on 3 different computers with 2 different email accounts, none of which have Norton anti-virus.

Does Comcast Tech-support ever read these posts?

Well I will be calling tech-support again this afternoon. It is becoming a weird sort of hobby for me. :-(

outatime
Networking Expert
Baric

I don't know then. Try creating a completely clean email address (you can make up to 6 extras), then try to connect to that one. If it works without changing the basic client settings other than userid, then I'd say the problem is on the server with those 2 email accounts.
Networking Expert
Baric

Good luck. It certainly sounds to me like a server side problem. But convincing the Support rep is going to be hard, as most of them have no clue how things work or how to do proper troubleshooting.
New Visitor

Wish someone would figure this out as came home from vacation today and this is the same problem my wife tells me we have. Have went to live chat with no help there and have deleted all e-mail after 7-29 with no help. Get the same error and just keeps downloading all e-mail even if they have been deleted. Have tried doing this with Norton disabled and does not make any difference. At least I know I am not the only one having this problem and they all started about the same time for everyone. Will keep watching and hope someone figures out solution.
Networking Expert
Baric

I've beginning to think there are at least some users who have somehow had their inbox corrupted in some fashion and not just individual message problems. If I were you, I'd get on the horn to support and not rest til I get some higher level tech who knows the POP3 server well enough to look for problems like this.

One good test is if you create another email address and send something to it. If you can access it, then there is likely something wrong with the first email address' inbox. If you can't, then the problem is either global to the POP3 server, or somewhere between it and you. To eliminate if the problem is your configuration, have someone you trust who is not having problems see if they can connect their client using your email address. And another thing to try is change your password. If the authenticate mechanism somehow things your password is something else, changing it is likely to sync things up again.

I really feel for the folks having all these problems.
New Visitor

Misery loves company ... I've been unable to download mail from 2 of my accounts for the last 2 days.

Coincidentally, they are former attbi.com accounts that have been forwarding to comcast.net for 2 months. The other 4 accounts download fine.

I experienced the same symptoms - connect, message count, terminate. Yes, I'm running Norton but that never got in the way before.

The answer was as others have suggested - a corrupt message entitled "Unknown", 1 KB in size that hit those 2 accounts on the 18th & remained on the server. Deleting the message fixed the problem.

Suppose there was a hiccup in the attbi to comcast handoff & the Unknown message was generated?

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll always come here before trying Customer Dis-service.
Bronze Star Contributor

Your description points to a possible corrupt message in your mailbox on the mail server.

Go to www.comcast.net, sign in, click on Mail. When the mail window opens, move the oldest message in the Inbox to another folder, say the Draft folder. If you've got a ton of messages in your Inbox, move 5 of them to the Draft folder.

Then see if you can download using Outlook Express. If you can then bingo, you've found the corrupt message that was hanging Outlook Express, it's now in the Draft folder. Don't put it back into the Inbox folder or you'll be back at square one. (If you moved 5 messages to the Draft folder then you've narrowed down the corrupt message to one of those 5.)

If you still can't download in OE, then at the web mail Inbox move another message (or block of messages) to the Draft folder. Then see if you can download via OE.

Repeat the procedure until you're able to download using OE. Using this procedure you should be able to pinpoint the corrupt message.

Roxboy
New Visitor

I have the exact same problem. I've moved all the messages out of my inbox on the comcast.net mail page, and I still can't connect. I'm using OUTLOOK. I'm getting the 0x800ccc0F error. Our other userid which was converted from ATTBI, works OK. It as the shorter password. The setup for this one is identical to that one, but we're getting this goofy error. Comcast, I think you have a problem.
New Visitor

Baric,

I could kiss you (not really, I get excited easily). Your suggestion of deleting the last email releived my 0x800ccc0f error and I'm now receiving all my spam and even some good emails.

Thanks again,

bill
Networking Expert
Baric

You own me a beer. :smileylaugh:
New Visitor
New Visitor

I continue to get this error, even though I have deleted every single e-mail through the web portal sign in with comcast.

This was a former attbi account.
Networking Expert
Baric

Other causes are firewalls and virus scanners. Some virus scanners have special trouble if you have script blocking or Email scanning turned on and use Outlook or Outlook Express. Firewalls like to block outgoing access. SO check those and search this forum, this issue has been talked to death and back.
New Visitor

I have the same problem using Outlook only the error message is ox800ccc13. This is so frustating . I have three accounts. Last week one of them doing this and chat support spent 30 minutes with me and finally straightened it out. Today it is another and after an hour with chat they still didn't help.
New Visitor

I have just gotten off the phone after two hours with comcast tech. I finally uninstalled Norton antivirus and it solved my problem of error msg ox800cccof. Norton had to be uninstalled and not just disabled!!!!!!
Bronze Star Contributor

> I have just gotten off the phone after two hours with
> comcast tech. I finally uninstalled Norton antivirus
> and it solved my problem of error msg ox800cccof.
> Norton had to be uninstalled and not just
> disabled!!!!!!

I am running Norton AV,(updated two days ago), and set up to scan mail in both directions. I am running 'Mailwasher' and 'Pegasus Mail". I was having a problem yesterday which I believe was a corrupted message in my inbox. I went to the webmail and deleted all the messages and everything was fine again, (including Norton).

I rather do that then be without Norton which in 3 months has stopped 2 virus's and 6 or so trojan/worms from infecting my machine. (And I'm not convinced yet that Norton had anything to do with the mail issues the last few days).
New Visitor

I deleted some the the last emails I got and WOW it worked.....