New Visitor

Outlook suddenly stopped receiving or sending

Without any changes to Outlook settings, we have been unable to receive or send for a week. We keep getting a server connection error and keep receiving multiple copies of the same message. New messages appear on Comcast enough, but don't come down to Outlook. Strangely enough, it has only happened on one machine and not the others (we are networked with different ID's and e-mail packages - outlook and Express) Any ideas????
New Visitor

Re: Outlook suddenly stopped receiving or sending

As of today I can receive e-mail but I can't send e-mail. All of my outgoing e-mails are just sitting in the outbox. It worked fine yesterday and I haven't made any changes since then.
Most Valued Poster

Anonymous,

It sounds like you have a corrupt message on the server that is causing OE to fail downloading the waiting messages. To fix it, move all inbox messages to another folder using Webmail and move them back to the Inbox one by one, downloading as you go. The one that fails to download is the faulty one and can be deleted or moved elsewhere if you wish to keep it. Continue until you have all your messages.

If this doesn't clear up the problem, reply with the exact error message you are getting.

Bill

Message was edited by: Bill

or , do you have norton antispam, that stops outlook express after a couple of days
Visitor

I had the same problem with one of my 3 account, then later the 2nd acct gave me the same problem. Solution...check your SSN settings, you have to adjust the port#, COMCAST moved their servers to more secured ones and you have to specify ports#. I'm currently at work but tonight I will get those ports numbers for you.
Most Valued Poster

> As of today I can receive e-mail but I can't send
> e-mail. All of my outgoing e-mails are just sitting
> in the outbox.

Todd,

Are you getting an error message? If so, COPY & PASTE the message to your reply. Also, what version of Outlook do you have? In the Outlook options, make sure the "Send messages immediately" box is checked.

Bill

I have the same problem with and this is not the first time. Any help or resources in this area with out sitting on the phone waiting for a tech, would be greatly appreciated.
Most Valued Poster

> I have the same problem
-------------------------

What same problem?

One person, can't SEND or RECEIVE. (No error msg)

The other can receive, but can not SEND. (No error msg)

And you have the same problem? (No error msg)

Sorry, I don't spend much time on forums... I can't send or receive and my error message is: unable to connect to the server. I would think, if that were the case I wouldn't be online at all.
Most Valued Poster

Please post your entire error messaage,

Naddie
Message was edited by: Naddie
New Visitor

1) Unable to connect to the server.(Account:'mail.comcast.net',SMTP Server:'smtp.comcast.net',Error Number:0x800ccc0e).

2) Unable to connect to the server.(Account:'mail.comcast.net',POP3 server:'mail.comcast.net',Error Number:0x800ccc0e).

3) Unable to connect to the server.(Account:'mail.comcast.net(1)',POP3 server:'mail.comcast.net',Error Number:0x800ccc0e).
Most Valued Poster

> I would think, if that were the case I wouldn't be online at all.
-------------------

When you are calling up web pages on the internet, you are connecting through one of Comcast's Domain Name Servers (DNS).

When using a E-Mail, you are connecting through an Incoming or Outgoing mail server.

AS Naddie said, COPY & PASTE the full error message in your reply.

Bill

Try disabling your OUT GOING e-mail anti virus scanner. That should fix it. Leave the inbound scanner on.

Naddie
New Visitor

Well that is probably where my big problem is, because I had to manually download my new definitions this morning and I haven't been able to open my anti virus ever since. It's Norton.
Most Valued Poster

I found this page, and since you know just what is going one with your computer, I have just posted the start page. Good luck.

Link no longer needed

Naddie
Message was edited by: Naddie
New Visitor

I was able to open the options menu for Norton and disable the outgoing scan. This still did not correct the problem.

I appreciate you taking the time with this, even if it doesn't get resolved.

Jamey
Contributor

Respectfully to the Guru's here, don't jump all over this person, I've been having the exact same problem for 3 days now, however I just "discovered" it today.

I left on business, came home, and discovered I could RECEIVE but not SEND any messages. NOthing had changed on my PC....Using Outlook Express, which had been bullet-proof for years. I was receiving mail, but having to use the webmail interface to actually reply to anything.

I even went to webmail and dropped EVERYTHING that was queued in the server. All my inbox, deleted items, rejected items, all of it...flushed. My account was using 1% of 10 megs....it was empty. No Change.

BUT THEN...around lunchtime, I happened to click OE as is my habit...and before I could shut it down, Poof! Problem Solved....it sent out the 2 mail messages in my OUTBOX and retreived a few more messages.

Then, an hour later? I couldn't send mail anymore...moreover, I was no longer RECEIVING mail either.
The only way I can send/receive mail now is via the Webmail interface.

If COMCAST changed their ports, why in the hell didn't they notify people of this issue?? I'm still using 110.

Here's the same old error:
A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19
Most Valued Poster

Check out this link.

http://forums.comcast.net/thread.jspa?forumID=2&threadID=10678&messageID=80544#80544

Naddie
New Visitor

HELLO! I PAY YOU LOTS OF MONEY. I AM SOMEONE WHO NEEDS THEINDUSTRY FOR MY WORK. WHAT THE HEC K IS GOINGON? HELP ME NOW PLEASE OR I WILL ASSUME YOU ARE BECOM9NG MORE LIKE SBC//NOW PLEASE...
Most Valued Poster

Well, sir if you will just calm down and tell us just exactly what your problem is we will try to help. And please unlock you cap lock.

Naddie
Most Valued Poster

Naddie,
You really should edit that long link in your earlier post. It makes the page difficult to read. You can make forum link and label, or make a short link here: http://tinyurl.com/
Most Valued Poster

Well, I checked that when I posted it and on my browser it is not like that. I think that the link is no longer needed so will just remove it. Hmmmmmmmmm, wonder why it gets long on some on not others???????

Naddie
Most Valued Poster

Different fonts, window sizes, monitor size and resolution. The point is text wraps in the forums, but links do not. So the window expands horizontally to accomodate it.
Most Valued Poster

Is a done deal:smileylaugh:

Naddie
New Visitor

My Outlook Express has been locked up for about 3 months now. However, I can access my e-mail through comcast.net.
The message that my Outlook Express is giving is something like.....Server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Protocol POP3, Port 110, Secure (SSL):No, Error Number Ox800CCCOF.
Please help me !!
New Visitor

One of my three comcast email accounts has also stopped RECEIVING emails. I can still send, however. The entire error is as follows... Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F. The last email received was on Jan 20. I can still receive in webmail without any problem. Just annoying that OE no longer functions. TIA for any help that you can provide. BTW-The other two accts sent and receive with no issues.
Contributor

Same problem here too....
Outlook 2003, same settings for years....
Most Valued Poster

See this thread on that error:
Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
New Visitor

I have the same problem of not being able to send but able to receive. I did your suggestion to disable anti virus scanning & all it did was sent all the mails waiting to be sent. I tried sending another one but it didn't get through. I get the following error messages when I test the connection:
"Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Unable to log on to the incoming mail server (POP3). Please verify the setting in the User Name, password & e-mail fields."

Send test e-mail messages: Unable to log on to the outgoing mail server (SMTP). Please verify your SMTP server and -if your server requires authentication - the authentification information on the "more settings pages."
New Visitor

I had the same problem, changed the email connection to use an SSL port (default port) and worked fine. Without telling anyone, Comcast may have closed the non SSL port.
Most Valued Poster

Port 25 works Ok. There have been areas where Comcast restructured the network resulting in new IP blocks for some subscribers. Sometimes the new IPs haven't been updated on the server authenticated list. This can be overcome by enabling sender authentication for outgoing mail, as is required to connect off network.
New Visitor

There is a problem with all pop mail account via comcast. I have had this issue for 3 days now put in a ticket and keep calling back untill it is resolved. I can do pop mail fine if i dial up to another provider just wont work with comcast. tested on multiple computers and accounts. There is no reason for them to ever block pop mail (it is a check only service unlike smtp). This must be a bad transparent proxy server or mis configured layer 3 switch somewhere.

If comcast is reading this my ticket number is 10454496 please fix.
Message was edited by: Anonymous
New Visitor

Same problem, I can access my email on the web site, but Outlook won't download or upload it. Just started yesterday afternoon. Outlook just keeps asking for my network password?
New Visitor

I have lost the left line for contacts on my computer and I can't send out any messages or receive them/ There are no contacts.
New Visitor

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
New Visitor

What resolved the problem for me...In webmail, I systematically deleted each email in my inbox since the problem began. An email from PayPal with a Title of "Your Quarterly Statement from PayPal" seems to have been the culprit. I can only suspect that it must have been corrupted. After deleting it, all 3 of my accounts can now successfully send and receive.
New Visitor

I had the same problem in that i could not receive any E-mail to my outlook inbox. I followed your suggestion and it worked perfectly. Right before it started this problem, i was getting multiple copies of the same E-mail downloaded to Outlook. A few days later, it stopped downloading all together. After following Bill's advise, everything seems to be operating normally again.

Thanks,
Mark
New Visitor

you guys are talking about another issue. All pop mail is being blocked over my comcast connection. All my pop accounts at work, my personal pop accounts and the comcast pop account which i never use. port 110 will not pass any data after the initial syn connection.
Most Valued Poster

You jumped into the thread with a different issue. Start a new thread. There are no problems with the pop server. Your connection to it is another matter. Did you confirm the problem with telnet?
New Visitor

Here is what worked for me. I went to http://www.comcast.net/comcast.html and logged in, then I selected e-mail and proceeded to delete all messages in all folders, finally I logged out and launched Outlook Express and it worked normal both sending and receiving.
Message was edited by: Anonymous
Most Valued Poster

You only need to do that for the inbox to affect your pop connection. This link explains the pop hangup problem involving corrupt messages or AV blocking.
Error 0x800CCC0F and Solution
New Visitor

I have no email in my comcast inbox this is a issue with pop port 110. If i telnet to the port the connection hangs. If i dial into another network pop mail works and i can also telnet to the pop deamon. comcast has a network issue at least in my area that is still unfixed after almost 4 days.
New Visitor

I found and fixed the problem. My symptom was only 1 of my 6 e-mail addresses worked when receiving. The other 5 e-mail addresses all failed receiving e-mail with the same error message other have been posting.
I compared the configuration of the 1 that worked with the others that did not.
Under Tools\Accounts-Mail Tab, select a e-mail account.
Select, PROPERTIES-ADVANCED Tab
Under Server Port Numbers - Incoming Mail (POP3)
CHECK "This Server requires an SSL connection".
The Port # should automatically change to 995.

Once doing this configuration on all my e-mail accounts, everything works normally.
Most Valued Poster

It does sound like a localized problem. So you don't get the this server response on telnet?
+OK (sccrpxc01) Maillennium POP3/PROXY server #173

And you can trace to the server? Try a different route to try to isolate it.
east coast pop: 204.127.202.10, 63.240.76.10
west coast pop: 204.127.198.10, 216.148.227.80

If none of them connect, then the problem is close to home. Where are you located. You should start another thread to see if others in your area have similar problems, isolate it, and get it reported.
New Visitor

I've had the same problem that most of you have been experiencing. I went to Tools, Mail, Advanced, Properties and checked both boxes for incoming and outgoing mail, this change the incoming port (POP3)to 995. I can now send and receive mail to Outlook. Why port
110 is working for some folks and not for other is beyond me.
New Visitor

I have found that Microsoft Outlook is about the best mail program you can use. Of course you would have to have a version of Microsoft Office on your computer. The settings for Outlook at just about the same as Outlook Express (Which I HATE). With Outlook, you can make use of your Calendar, notes, all of the options that are built into Outlook. Say you have an appointment on the 27 of January. You just go to Outlook calendar and enter the appointment, then select to be notified 1 day before that appointment in your email, your palm pilot. I think just about anyone that reads this message knows exactly what I mean.

Ttfn, (Till then for now)

Stuart

PS: I have found that Microsoft Outlook is about the best mail program you can use. Of course you would have to have a version of Microsoft Office on your computer. The settings for Outlook at just about the same as Outlook Express (Which I HATE). With Outlook, you can make use of your Calendar, notes, all of the options that are built into Outlook. Say you have an appointment on the 27 of January. You just go to Outlook calendar and enter the appointment, then select to be notified 1 day before that appointment in your email, your palm pilot. I think just about anyone that reads this message knows exactly what I mean.

When I first set configured Outlook for Comcast I found that my settings would change & that was the problem. Just go in and make sure you have your email settings are exactly correct.
I.E Pop3 (mail.comcast.net)
Smtp (smtp.comcast.net)
Double check that your screen name is only your screen name not
Name/Comcast.net
Just your user name
Name: your name
Go into your control panel and select email, then change your email setup, and make sure all your settings are correct.
New Visitor

i have put in a ticket number 10454496 4 days ago about pop port 110. changing to secure pop port will not work for me because i have multiple pop email accounts besides comcast my work for instance that do not support secure pop port.
New Visitor

I have the same problem when connecting through my lawschool network. Apparently comcast has set up a spam block that won't allow e-mail to be sent from the lawschool IP address. Of course, they will not admit to this.

Also, I suddenly developed an e-mail problem at my home IP address. They give a lot of excuses, but the bottom line is one day it worked the next day it didn't. My lawschool network guy said they are blocking my IP address in their mail system, go figure.

So log on and do mail through the interne in the meantime.
New Visitor

help with email allen
Bronze Star Contributor

Allen,

If you're using a POP email program like Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Netscape, Eudora or Incredimail, you may be experiencing the corrupted/malformed message syndrome.

Go to www.comcast.net and sign in then click on Mail. When your mail account opens, delete any messages you don't need or look suspicious, especially spam.

Then see if you can download in the email program. If you can, you've deleted the problem message. If you can't, back at the web mail window move a message or a block of messages to another folder, say the Draft folder. Then see if you can download in the email program.

Repeat this step until you're able to download in the email program.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, post again and tell us the following:

*Are you using Outlook Express, the web mail site at www.comcast.net or some other email program? If some other email program, which one?

*What happens when you try to access your email? Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact error message?

*Are you using a firewall or an anti-virus program? If so, which one(s)?