Recognized Contributor

POP3 Server Not Responding

[ Edited ]

I am in Watertown, Massachusetts.  I use Windows Mail and have my Comcast email setup.  It was working fine earlier this morning. But since about 12pm it keeps giving me a message that the Pop3 server has not responded.  Here is the error code I keep getting  Account: 'pop.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19 Just wondering of any advice on how to resolve this.

Message Edited by noba on 03-12-2010 12:40 PM
Networking Expert
Baric

Re: POP3 Server Not Responding

0x800CCC19 is usually caused by one of two things:

1. Your virus scanner is causing trouble.  McAfee and Norton/Symantec are famous for this.  I would recommend turning off email scanning.  Another trick that works in many cases is to change your POP3 settings to port 995 with SSL ON.  Those are more secure settings anyway, so I highly recommend you convert from port 110, regardless.

2. Sometimes, you get a message that is improperly formatted and it gets "stuck" in your inbox on the POP3 server and your client just times out trying to retrieve it.  Easiest fix is create a folder on SmartZone, move the oldest unread message you have NOT downloaded into that folder, and try again.  If things work fine, you know the message was the problem and can just delete it, or just save it on Smartzone if it's something you want to keep.  This problem doesn't happen much anymore, due to updates from Microsoft to OE and other email clients.  Are you up on all the latest OS maintenance?  If not, you' should take the time and run Windows Update until you get no new updates. 

Recognized Contributor

It's definitely not the antivirus software.  I have had this on for a long time and never experienced any issue.  I did though try turning off email scanning and still got the same issue.  I changed ports as you stated and still got the same error.  Still no response from the pop3 server.  Not sure what to do
Email Expert

Do you have a router? Make sure it's not blocking port 110.

Open a Command Prompt window (Start->Run, enter "cmd") and type:

telnet mail.comcast.net 110 

Does this connect, and respond with:

+OK POP3 ready 

Type "quit" to disconnect when this happens.

Networking Expert
Baric

Did you try moving the oldest unread message to another folder?

Other things to try:

1. Compact your local folders.
  2. Delete your account and recreate it from scratch.  It's not unheard of for an account definition to become corrupted.
  3. Telnet to the POP server("telnet mail.comcast.net 110").  Does it connect and announce itself?
  4. Are you running a software firewall?  Enter an exception for Windows Mail to make outgoing connections.