New Visitor

PTR record? emails are rejected by comcast

Received >>> 554 imta13.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx comcast requires that all mail servers must have a ptr record with a valid reverse dns entry. currently your mail server does not fill that requirement. for more information, refer to: http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=securitymail_policy18784

When I ping the ip with a -a, it resolves a name.  The name is also listed in our DNS MX records.  It's listed as the priority record but it is listed.

Is a PTR record different?  Not sure what I need to do next.

Most Valued Poster
bigchris

Re: PTR record? emails are rejected by comcast

[ Edited ]
Try a dig -x <ipaddress> and see if you have a PTR record, if you don't then you need to create one. If in doubt check with your hosting provider or your registrar on how to do this.

BTW, did you copy the URL above directly from the reply message, or did you type it in? I noticed it doesn't resolve due to the case sensitivity. This is the correct URL

Message Edited by bigchris on 12-23-2007 12:58 PM
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: PTR record? emails are rejected by comcast

bigchris wrote:
Try a dig -x and see if you have a PTR record, if you don't then you need to create one. If in doubt check with your hosting provider or your registrar on how to do this.

C:\WINDOWS>ping/?
Usage: ping [-t] [-a] [-n count] [-l size] [-f] [-i TTL] [-v TOS]
            [-r count] [-s count] [[-j host-list] | [-k host-list]]
            [-w timeout] destination-list
Options:
    -a             Resolve addresses to hostnames.