New Visitor
Accepted Solution

Port 25 change --- port 465 recommended vs. port 587 only if needed

How do I know if I should change my Outgoing Mail Server Port Number from 25 to 465 or to 587? 

I see Recommended 465 for Outgoing Mail Server Port Number and 587 Only If Needed. 

I also see Recommended 995 for Incoming Mail Server Port Number and 110 Only If Needed. 

What determines what I need?  How do I know what I need? 

I currently have Outgoing Mail Server Port Number 25 (SMTP) and Incoming Mail Server Port Number 110 (POP3). 

I have Windows 7 on my Laptop and use Outlook 2007.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Port 25 change --- port 465 recommended vs. port 587 only if needed

tvicki wrote:

How do I know if I should change my Outgoing Mail Server Port Number from 25 to 465 or to 587? 

I see Recommended 465 for Outgoing Mail Server Port Number and 587 Only If Needed. 

I also see Recommended 995 for Incoming Mail Server Port Number and 110 Only If Needed. 

What determines what I need?  How do I know what I need? 

I currently have Outgoing Mail Server Port Number 25 (SMTP) and Incoming Mail Server Port Number 110 (POP3). 

I have Windows 7 on my Laptop and use Outlook 2007.

Just change your POP setting to 995 with SSL on and change SMTP to 465 with SSL onand you will be good to go.

And you will be using the recommended settings for both.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor

I could probably do that but what determines what I need? Why would someone use the 110 and 587 instead of the 995 and 465?

Email Expert
CCCarole

See this FAQ:  http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-port-25-no-longer-supported/

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

tvicki wrote: I could probably do that but what determines what I need? Why would someone use the 110 and 587 instead of the 995 and 465?

If your mail program doesn't support ports 995 and 465, or if it doesn't support encryption, then you would "need" to use ports 110 and 587. Think of it this way:

For receiving, use 995. If that doesn't work, use 110 instead.

For sending, use 465. If that doesn't work, use 587 instead.

All of these ports require Authentication (userid & password).

Encryption (TLS/SSL) is optional but recommended for ports 110 and 587.

Encryption is required for ports 995 and 465.

New Visitor

Thank you!

New Visitor

Thank you

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

[ Edited ]

I got the email below and I use Outlook 2007. I have been using 995 and 587 for years with no problems. I changed 587 to 465  per the email settings for Outlook 2007 and when I tested the account settings it will not /cannot send the test email. I changed it back to 587 and the test works immediately. So...what is this telling me?

THanks

Terri

------------------------

Dear Valued XFINITY Internet Customer,

Action Taken:
On August 1, Comcast announced that we will no longer support the use of port 25 for sending email. Many older email clients (such as Outlook Express) default to using this port to send email. Please read this message to understand how this action may impact your ability to send email, and what you should do next.

Comcast Webmail Users:
If you use a web browser to access Xfinity Connect or other webmail service, this action will not affect your ability to send or receive e-mail.

Email Program Users (Outlook Express, Outlook, MacMail, etc.):
If you use an email program, this action will disable your program's ability to send email until you change your email program settings to send email on port 465.

To protect your email security, click on the link for your current email software, then follow the step-by-step instructions to change your settings.

Email Expert
CCCarole

You don't  have to use 465.  587 is OK.

See this:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

THANKS!  If it ain't broke.....don't fix it!

Terri

New Visitor
spitfire8

I have Windows Live Mail 2011 and Windows 7.  465 does not work for outgoing.  Should I try 587?  What happens if I leave it at 25?  Thanks 

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

spitfire8 wrote: I have Windows Live Mail 2011 and Windows 7.  465 does not work for outgoing.  Should I try 587?  What happens if I leave it at 25?  Thanks 

Please see http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/configure-windows-live-mail-2011-for-xfinity-e... (scroll down to "To reconfigure your Windows Live Mail client to use SSL instead of port 25").

Port 465 requires Authentication (userid & password) and Encryption (TLS/SSL). If you don't make the changes you will soon be unable to send email.

New Visitor
mshartley

Why is Comcast asking us to change from port 25 to 465? Will I still be able to use my Apple Mail if I make this change?

Email Expert
CCCarole

You should have received an email about this if you have been using Port 25:

here is the information for you.

Comcast has begun sending out notification of a change to how customers can access their Comcast.net email.  This quick FAQ is intended to provide links to the available information in order to help our customers in the transition.

I use XfinityConnect or other webmail (like Gmail, Hotmail, etc.).  Does this change affect me?

No, it does not.  In no way does this notification impact you or your ability to send or receive email.  

I use an email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) to check my email.  What changes do I need to make?

Please see our FAQ.  It provides the settings that need to change, as well links to step-by-step instructions on how to update most major email applications.

For quick reference here are a few of the most common email application FAQs:

Why is Comcast making this change?

Please see our FAQ and our Comcast Voice Blog.  They explain the reasons for this change in detail.

I received an email about this change, how can I tell that it's not a scam?

Please see our FAQ.  It explains Comcast Verified Email and how to identify Verified email.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

mshartley wrote:

Why is Comcast asking us to change from port 25 to 465? Will I still be able to use my Apple Mail if I make this change?

Port 25 is abused by spammers. You can absolutely use Apple Mail with port 465, SSL on, and password authentication. I've been doing so for years ever since Comcast blocked my access to port 25 because they thought I sent too many messages in a short period of time (it was a deliberate quick copy and paste into multiple messages to people who were doing a gift exchange).

My outgoing settings in the Advanced pane of Account Settings and Edit SMTP list look like:

MailMacSMTP.JPG

After making those changes, choose OK, and then switch to a different account or other preference to be sure the settings stick. Then send yourself a message.

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

Years ago Comcast  had me change incoming from 25 to 995 because I appeared to be a spammer in their eyes due to number of messages sent on one day. My outgoing is 587 and everything works just fine.

Contributor

hi, all --

Yesterday I received an "Action Required" email from Comcast telling me that I was still using port 25 for SMTP.  Is this email going out to everybody?

Several weeks ago I reconfigured both my wife's and my own email clients:

1.) Thunderbird 17.0.2 on Win7 Pro

2.) Thunderbird 17.0.2 on Linux Mint 13 MATE

Both are set for port 995 for POP and port 465 for SMTP per Comcast instructions, with SSL enabled.

So why am I getting this email? 

Or ... is this a Comcast phishing expedition to drum up business for Signature Support?

Thanks,

John Kwasnik

Email Expert
CCCarole

It is most likely a duplicate.  If you already made the changes, ignore it.

CC

Most Valued Poster
TerriB

[ Edited ]

It does seem odd that some get the email and some do not. Is there a chance they have someone looking at all the customer settings? Surely NOT. I have not gotten an email from them but as I said earlier I did get one several years ago to change the setting.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

The message probably goes ot the primary account. And Comcast could detect which people are using port 25. I switched years ago. I'm not sure whether anyone in my family has received the note in this round of messages.

New Visitor
JakeOfAllTrades

You should always, only use port 587 when setting up a mail Client, and 25 for servers, 587 is the Submission port, and 465 is a legacy ssl enabled port.

do not use port 465.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3207

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

Here is the link to the recommended settings from Comcast.  Port 465 with SSL On is the recommended Port for SMTP.  Port 587 can be used.  

It is not correct to tell users not to use PORT  465.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

CC