New Visitor

Problems receiving email

The problem is that my comcast.net email service is not receiving emails sent from a mail.com address. We have tried different mail.com accounts, but the sent mesages are not received and the mail.com sender does not receive a bounce message.

I can successfully send email from mail.com to gmail addresses. I can successfully receive email on my comcast.net address that is sent from a gmail account. I can send email from my comcast.net account to mail.com or gmail. The only path that is blocked is from mail.com to comcast.net.

I don't have any email filters on my comcast.net account and I am not using an email safe list to limit senders.

Background: I've been forwarding my email from mail.com to comcast.net for years. I've recently noticed that I've been missing mails, which led me test my connection from mail.com to comcast.

I just got off a support chat with "Kennedy" that was extremely unhelpful. The support person was not knowledgeable and offered no solutions. After telling me I had to talk to mail.com, they closed the chat session.

Email Expert
Latoque

Re: Problems receiving email

I just signed up for a Mail.com account yesterday.  I sent a test message to my accounts at Comcast, Yahoo, iCloud, MSN, and Gmail.  It got through only to the Yahoo and iCloud addresses.  My guess is that Mail.com is being blocked due to past spam issues by the others. You might try calling Comcast security-------------------

The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected PCs (commonly referred to as "bots"), online fraud and other security issues.

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

1&1 Internet's "mail.com" domain is one of the worst domestic drop-box sites for phishing and other scam emails and has been for years. 1&1 seems to have no interest in cleaning up its act, and I would be surprised if this changes anytime soon.

Contributor

I can't believe I found this thread!!  I am experiencing the same issue as of yesterday and I also have been forwarding email from mail.com to Comcast for many years.  I contacted support at mail.com but so far all I got was an automated response.

Tomorrow morning I will try contacting Comcast Security Assurance as suggested by Latoquein in this thread and post the results here.

Thanks

Joe P

Email Expert
Latoque

Just to update--------the test message I sent to the Gmail account showed up this morning.  I have no idea why the delay.

:smt102

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Contributor

Latoque wrote:

Just to update--------the test message I sent to the Gmail account showed up this morning.  I have no idea why the delay.

Same here, Latoque and I got one from Comcast with a 9 hour delay.  Still no response from mail.com.

Joe P

Contributor

**UPDATE**

I received a response from mail.com in which they stated "not me" and if the problem persists to send them more detailed information.  I then contacted Comcast Security Assurance and spoke with  a very helpful and cooperative CSR named "Alex."  I sent him the header from the last email I got from mail.com and he identified that the mail.com IP address of 74.208.4.201 was being blocked by Comcast as a spam server.  He submitted a request to have it unblocked.  If and when that happens I will post.

Regards,

Joe P

Contributor

**ANOTHER UPDATE**

The situation is getting worse.  Not only do the emails not arrive at Comcast they are now being rejected and returned to Mail.com:

SMTP error from remote server in greeting:
host: mx1.comcast.net:
imta34.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast 74.208.4.201 Comcast block for spam.  Please see http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#BL000000

I contacted mail.com Support again but have not received a response.  Also, I sent another email to the CSR at Comcast Security Assurance who told me that the issue would be resolved within an hour or so.  No response from him either.

Stay tuned...

Joe P

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

You're trying to get the town drunk named Citizen of the Month. Why bother?

New Visitor
joepwpb

BruceW wrote:

You're trying to get the town drunk named Citizen of the Month. Why bother?

HUH???  Drunk...Is that an admission??!!!:smileygrin:

Visitor
Martin_D

I'm also glad I found this thread to see there are others with almost the same problem. Here on the West Coast, its almost 6AM (Eastern Time), so I hope someone at Comcast Security Assurance can help. (I won't bother trying to contact Mail.com.)

I began using Mail.com in '99 when their email forwarding was free, so I could keep the same address over time and choices were limited. I guess I've been lucky because, until recently, I've rarely had to bother looking at their website and have been lucky with my own antivirus and antispam. I know they are a poor choice today (this is the first I've heard of another human using them), and I keep thinking with a new acquisition they might get better. It's also a pain to switch to a new address. (For me, too many professional licenses, certifying agencies, loan agencies, etc, for which a consistent address is best, but I may have to finally switch.)

My problem is slightly different since it has been specifically limited to forwarding. If I send a message from the mail.com site, it arrives at Comcast and in my email reader without a problem. But mail from another address sent to mail.com for forwarding to Comcast either just disappears, or the error message that joep63 listed bounces back to mail.com. Strangely, this has only been an intermittent problem beginning about 2 months ago, when messages started bouncing back for 2 days in March, then from May 2-3, and not recurring again until 5/8 through today. I also find that only mail from certain servers (like the New York State Department of Health email alert system, which is unlikely sending spam) gets lost.

I'm hoping the block isn't just being removed manually on a repeated basis, only to be automatically reinstated by the Comcast security program.

I'll let you know of what I learn.

Thanks,

MD

Contributor

Martin D,

If you don't have the contact info for CSA: 

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week) 888-565-4329.

I also submitted online a Blocklist Removal request but have not received a response from anyone at Comcast:

http://postmaster.comcast.net/block-removal-request.html

I still have no response from Mail.com, which is not unexpected and so far the forwarding is still working but may cease at the end of the 7 day grace period.

Joe P

Contributor

I just got a response from mail.com this mornng:

Dear mail.com member,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

We are aware of this issue and it is the highest priority of our IT department to resolve it as quickly as possible. Please note that this is a temporary issue that only a few customers experience and we are in communication with the other email provider for resolution.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,
Your mail.com Support Team

Visitor
Martin_D

To joep63,

I received an email from mail.com asking me to forward them the original failed mail delivery message, which I just sent. Did you get any resolution? Or any other response from either mail.com or CSA?

I contacted CSA and spoke with a representative who just repeatedly insisted that Comcast was not blocking any of the mail.com servers and that he could provide no assistance unless I could produce an example of a message being blocked and resulting in an error message that he could see in real time while on the phone with him. (Of course, these failed delivery messages, if they arrive at all, appear hours, even days, later.) He also added "maybe you used to be a spammer". Rather insulting in addition to useless.

I did start getting email forwarded and sent from mail.com again by late Sunday or Monday 5/13 AM, but then on Tuesday 5/14, the forwarded message blocking resumed, until apparently some time Wed 5/15 AM when at least a few messages started making it through again. I cannot tell what the status is currently.

It seems that there are two servers that mail.com uses for forwarding and sending messages (at least from my review of headers and with the caveat that I am not a techie): 74.208.4.201 and 74.208.4.200
which Comcast has been intermittently blocking. However, they are placing the blocks, then removing them, then reinstating them on a daily basis and so frequently that it is impossible to pin down a current problem, and any resolution is only fleeting.

I think the best solution, for me at least, will be to ultimately switch to a different ISP and email service since I need something consistent and reliable and I cannot believe I am actually paying money for this!

Martin

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Martin,

Needless to say, your experiencing with CSA was appalling and a complete opposite of my experience.  Each time I contacted CSA I was met with a friendly, courteous and helpful representative.  I was given a case ID and when they accessed my file through that ID or my telephone number there was a complete record of every phone call I made.

My last contact with CSA was on the 14th because I was not receiving the forwards from mail.com although I was still within the 7 day grace period CSA told me was in effect.  As I was discussing this with the CSA rep the emails arrived, after a several hour delay.  He then informed me of the throttling you spoke of in your latest post.  I was informed that Comcast does that because there are in excess of 50 email addresses at mail.com which are continuing to send spam.  I don't fault Comcast for doing that but I certainly fault them for the behavior of their representative you encountered.

Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of mail.com, there is nothing Comcast can do to get them to resolve this issue.  I'm not sure what my next course of action will be, but for now I am just going to wait it out for a while and in another day or two contact mail.com again using the case ID they assigned.  I'll post the results as soon as I get them.

You may want to consider contacting CSA again in the hope of getting a cooperative Rep and if you get another "rotten apple" just end the call and try again.

Joe P

Visitor
Martin_D

I guess I will try and call CSA again, but this is taking up so much of my time. I did not receive any case ID. I also tried submitting the block removal request form late last night and received this response around 3AM PT (with portions cut and paste):

We have received your request for removal from our inbound blocklist. After investigating the issue, we have found that the IP you provided for removal is currently not on our blocklist.

We have received your request for removal from our inbound blocklist. After investigating the issue, we have found that the IP you provided for removal is currently not on our blocklist.

Basically the CSA rep told me the same thing.

However, throughout the morning, my inbox is clogged with these error messages referring to mail that I should have received, delivered to mail.com between 12AM-7AM 5/16/13 PT, but blocked from being forwarded:

(Relevant portions cut & paste)

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address
failed:

"XXXXXXXXXX@comcast.net":
SMTP error from remote server in greeting:
host: mx1.comcast.net:
imta06.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast 74.208.4.201 Comcast Blocked for spam. Please see http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#BL000000

imta34.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast 74.208.4.200 Comcast Blocked for spam. Please see http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#BL000000

I don't know what else these messages could mean other than Comcast is blocking the servers, which is what the links explain (but then removing and reinstating the block throughout the day, causing me to lose mail at random times) (Is that what you mean by throttling? I am unfamiliar with the term. My mail isn't being delayed, but blocked.)

Right now, my mail is being forwarded and I am receiving it, but I expect that to change at any moment. I will try calling a CSA rep later, but I have little faith in any resolution

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Martin,

After reading your post I tried a forward and it worked but has not all day, I thought because the 7 day grace period expired.  Earlier today I sent one of the rejected emails (like you got) to mail.com under the same ticket number I was previously issued and yet to get a response.

I believe the response you got from the block removal request must be erroneous because there is clearly a block on as evident from the returned emails we receive. Let me know the results of you next call to CSA.

Joe P

(BTW..Throttling is just refers to Comcast blocking then unblocking the mail server)

Visitor

I cannot even receive any email now!!  I've called twice and am expecting a call back within 48 to 72 hrs. What kind of service is that. Plus, look what we all pay for this service. I called late at night and someone was going to check something and then call me back. No call back. I had to call the next day and am still waiting. Anyone have any suggestions on what to check so that I may receive my email?  I'm using the comcast site and not Oulook. 

Thank you.