New Visitor

Problems with Outlook 2003

Having problems sending and receiving from Outlook 2003. These problems popped up yesterday after using same setup for at least two years. I can access ny account via Comcast WebMail just fine.

Setting wise I have rechecked the FAQ, but just in case here's whay I have:

User Name:
Email address: @comcast.net

Incoming server: mail.comcast.net
Outgoing server: smtp.comcast.net

User Name:
Password:

Remember Password - checked
Log on Using SPA: -not checked

More Settings - Outgoing Server

Have tried both with and without authentication box checked. Usually on the road so in past have left this checked (using same settings as incoming mail server)

More Settings - Advanced

Incoming port: 110 (SSL - not checked)
Outgoing port: 25 (SSL not checked)

Leave a copy on server - checked

Using the test account settings button produces the following results:

Establish network connection - Completed
Find outgoing mail server - Completed
Find incoming mail server -
Send test e-mail message - In Progress

When performing send/receive in Outlook (which successfully accesses three other mail servers at the same time), I get the following error message:

Task 'Comcast - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR Service not available (server error)'

Also if I try to send a message using Comcast (works OK with other three servers which includes GMail), the email never goes. Outlook continues to display the message "Sending message 1 of 1" and the Outlook Send/Receive Progress dialogue box shows "Comcast - Sending Processing".

Eventually it times out with the following error message:

Task 'Comcast - Sending' reported error (0x8004210:smileycool: : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

FWIW my system runs Windows XP SP2 and Zone Alarm Security Suite. Currently in Beijing, China but have had my setup working for the first 7 days of my trip in the same hotel room and have had it work during the 150 days I spent in China over the past 12 months.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Message was edited by: Anon1441121
Most Valued Poster
musicman

Re: Problems with Outlook 2003

Chris....you might want to edit your email info...unless you like spam...........someone will be along to help you with your situation..........:smileywink:
Most Valued Poster
rickmac

Open a command prompt window (Start-> Run-> cmd).
try the ping command to see if you can reach the servers:

If you cannot reach the servers, then you have a networking issue, firewall or other issue. If you can reach the servers, then you may have a email client issue - either with configuration or corruption.

can you get to http://mailcenter.comcast.net ???

WIN98 C:\WINDOWS> ping mail.comcast.net

Pinging mail.comcast.net with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 204.127.202.10: bytes=32 time=75ms TTL=52
Reply from 204.127.202.10: bytes=32 time=75ms TTL=52
Reply from 204.127.202.10: bytes=32 time=77ms TTL=52
Reply from 204.127.202.10: bytes=32 time=76ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 204.127.202.10:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 75ms, Maximum = 77ms, Average = 75ms

WIN98 C:\WINDOWS> ping smtp.comcast.net

Pinging smtp.comcast.net with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.148.227.147: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 216.148.227.147:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 15ms

B-)
"Neo, you must understand, there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." Morpheus - The Matrix
Networking Expert
Baric

Anon1441121 said:
Task 'Comcast - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR Service not available (server error)'

This error happens occasionally if the POP3 server is unavailable. These usually clear up in a very short time, but it's definitely a message issued by the POP3 server saying it's not currently working. If this error persists, contact Comcast, it means something is wrong on the server side.

Task 'Comcast - Sending' reported error (0x8004210:smileycool: : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

This error indicates a blockage of some sort, either at the PC end or by the ISP while trying to connect to the SMTP server to send messages. You say Outlook is working with three other mail servers, but are you using 3 other SMTP servers or just GETTING mail from 3 other POP3/IMAP servers? They are very different things.

Ignoring the possible SMTP blockage by the local ISP you're using, if you were getting this error at home, I'd say your problem was your firewall or virus scanner. These guys autoupdate all the time and they CAN cause sudden problems, even when you have done nothing. A simple thing to try to get around this is just like the FAQ post in this forum states, turn on SSL on the SMTP connection, change the port to 465, and turn on outgoing authentication, which I assume you already use since you are not behind your cable modem and is required when you are travelling.

Never ever use the Test function in Outlook. It's one flaky peice of code and is known to fail for no reason anyone can discern even when everything is working properly. Just send yourself a message.
Networking Expert
Baric

And using SSL on BOTH your mail connections is a very good idea, especially where traveling. Encrypt your transmissions to the mails servers, or the likelihood of your packets getting sniffed goes up dramatically.
New Visitor

Hi, I'm having the same problem on my home computer. I have gone through all the instructions presented here and no success. I got the ping responses as indicated
I have talked with comcast support live chat and email and they can't help.
I have tried disabling scanning outgoing mail...no result. I am running Norton Internet Security 2005.
the problem has now been going on for two days.

Frustrated
Networking Expert
Baric

Turn off your firewall. It can block any and all ports, or applications, from making external connections.
New Visitor

On April 21, I also started experiencing the same problems you described. I've been using the same settings for the last 3.5+ years and suddenly I'm having problems sending emails. I was using SSL to connect to the comcast mail servers (POP 995, SMTP 465) but starting on the 21st, the connection kept timing out or an error messages would come back telling me that the servers do not support SSL. I turned off SSL and switched to port 587 for SMTP and I'm now able to send email messages but when trying to send attachments, it will time out. I increased the timeout setting to 3 minutes and this seems to work but even though Outlook said that only 1 email was sent, the recipient would some times receive 2 or 3 copies of the same email. I also tried port 25 for SMTP and I get the same results. Another problem I'm seeing is that my email attachments are getting corrupted when I'm sending through Comcast. Recipients are not able to open the zip files or jpegs I emailed them.

I thought this may have been caused by my firewall (Zonealarm Pro), antivirus (BitDefender), or spyware software (Spyware Doctor) but it's not. I turned everything off and I still get the same results. I have this problem on my laptop and desktop.

Does anyone know if Comcast upgraded or changed their server settings recently? This is really annoying. Any help would be greatly appreaciated Thank you in advance.
Networking Expert
Baric

Some very odd symptoms here. As far as I can tell, Comcast does NOT support the use of message submission on port 587. smtp.comcast.net does not respond on port 587 and has never in the past either. Meanwhile I can tell you that Comcast DOES support sending messages on ports 25 (SSL on or off), or port 465 (SSL and authentication on). If you are having a problem, please post the exact error message.