Contributor
Accepted Solution

Re: Importing csv file to populate address book

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong but cannot get this to work at all.  grrrrrrrr

I have Xfinity Connect>switched to the lite version>saved>closed

Signed back on>address book>eidt>import .csv file saved on Desktop< took less than 1 second and said it has imported 92 contacts.  WRONG!!!  The only thing that showed up in my address book were first names - - - - -not last names and no email addresses. 

closed window>signed back on>went to preferences and changed back to full version>still nothing in email addresses. 

I have done this 5 times with teh same results.  Checked the .csv file on my Desktop . . . .  Windows autmatically saved it as an Excel document with a .csv format ending.  Is this correct?  Everythng looks fine on the contact list but the info doesn't seem to be transferring. 

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

Check the first line of your CSV file. It needs to contain the names of the fields you're importing in the sequence they appear in the file. For example, if your file consists of

first name, last name, email address

then the first line of the file should read

"firstName","lastName","email"

I don't know of a reference for the field names. To find out what they are, do an export to a test CSV file from Xfinity Connect Lite.

Contributor

Here is a "cut and paste" segment of the first few lines of my .csv file.  Make any sense to you?  Makes no sense to me.

"First name","Middle name","Second name","Display name","E-Mail","Title","Comment","Favorite","Home phone","Home street address","Home city","Home state province","Home zip code","Home country region","Home fax","Mobile phone","Home web page","Business Phone","Company","Business city address","Business state province","Business street address","Bsiness zip code","Business country region","Job title","Business fax","Pager","Business web page"

,"",,"Cordova, Barbara ","barbaracordova54@yahoo.com SMTP barbaracordova54@yahoo.com",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,""

,"",,"McEwen, Barbara ","tuba4@aol.com SMTP tuba4@aol.com",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,""

,"",,"Barnett, Beth ","luceybeth@aol.com SMTP luceybeth@aol.com",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,""

,"",,"Smith, Betty ","bjsmithabq@msn.com SMTP bjsmithabq@msn.com",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,""

,"",,"Powell, Bill ","sofcracker@embarqmail.com SMTP sofcracker@embarqmail.com",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,""

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

[ Edited ]

kit48 wrote: Here is a "cut and paste" segment of the first few lines of my .csv file. ...

If those are "real" email addresses, it would be best if you would edit your post and scramble them. These pages are public, and spammers can copy addresses from them.

The lines that begin with "First name","Middle name" and end with "Pager","Business web page" are actually all one line -- the first line of the file tells the destination program what data is on the lines that follow. The rest of the file consists of contact data in the format "lastname, firstname","emailaddress SMTP emailaddress". Unfortunately, Xfinity Connect expects the last name to be separate from the first name, and it doesn't seem to know what to do with the "emailaddress SMTP emailaddress" items.

I think you'll either have to edit the file so it looks like this:

"lastName","firstName","email"                       <--- first line of file: describes data to follow

"Smith","Bill","billsmith@isp.com"                   <--- first data line

"Jones","Bob","bobjones@isp.com"               <--- second data line, and so on

or enter the names into Xfinity Connect manually.

Perhaps someone else will come up with a better approach.

Contributor

since the Comcast email imports from gmail, open a gmail account if you do not already have one, import the csv file to it and then go to your comcast account and import the address book from gmail without having to change to the lite version.  This is the way I imported my address book as a work around while comcast figured it out. 

Contributor

Nope . . .  it didn't work.  \

There is something about the way this csv file is being set up by windows that none of these programs like or can read.  I just don't get it.  It's not as though the "user" has any control over this.  You just hit "export" and then save it on your computer.  The rest is automatically done by the system itself and saved as a csv file.  Why would MY csv file be any different that anyone else's?

The original address book was being housed in Incredimail.  I exported it to Outlook the first time, saved it, and then attempted to import that file into Comcast.  No luck. 

Then I went back to Incredimail and did a whole new "export" but instead of putting the file in Outlook temporarily I saved it to the Desktop as a csv file and then attempted to import directly from the Desktop into Comcast.  Nope---it just isn't going to work. 

Should I just forget about using Comcast altogether and go to a different provider?

Contributor

It was suggeste by comcast to use an email provider like gmail.  I have a gmail account and will be switching my primary email to gmail so in answer to your question, yes, switch to gmail, yahoo or other similar email provider. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

kit48:

I have asked the Administratot to have someone from the Plaxo Team (Universal address book) to read your post and assist you further.   Please watch for a reply.  Thanks,

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

Yes, I tired that.  Got a gmail account all set up and tried to import my csv file into it . . . . no luck.  The problem seems to lie with how Windows is creating this csv file.  It's not something I have any control over.  I use Windows XP and when it creates a csv file it put it inot an Excel document with a csv file fromat ending.  I dunno----none of the programs seems to like how the csv file is created.

Contributor

Thanks.  At this point I'm prepared to manually type out the whole thing one name at a time.  Just seems there is something very wrong that one would have to resort to doing it this way.

Can't imagine *my* computer creates a csv file any differently than anyone else's and many others have had success doing the import.  Baffled.

Contributor

OK---hallelujah----after playing with the mapping fields on the host csv file and revising the list punctuation I I finally got it to transfer!  It is still reflecting the SMTP info on the transferred data even though I physically deleted it on the host document.  Go figure.  So I now have to go in and manually edit each contact to remove the SMTP data.

If anyone else is having as much trouble as I did dealing with mapping a csv file, trust me, you'll spend less time just manually typing in your entire contact list and getting it over with.  :0(

Thanks to all of you who tried to help.  The problem was not with Comcast!

New Visitor

I'm so glad to see this can be done. Where can you import the csv file? I've been all over the address book area, and can only find places to sync the address book with other e-mail programs, or to import from another ISP's e-mail. I don't wish to do either! I have an address book in a csv file, and would like to import it, which appears impossible.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

:-)

Email Expert
CCCarole

Which version of XfintyConnect are you using? That determines how to import the cvs file. To check: Open XC in click on Prefernces. Which box is ticked? CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
justjager

I found this solution worked, but it took me two times to get it to work. The first time I imported my .csv file it imported 738 contacts and all were blank. I had to export the .csv file formatted for outlook.

When I imported that .csv file it worked perfectly.

My thanks to the person that originally posted the "full Connect to Connect lite" solution.

Thanks

New Visitor

Ok, I have tried now for a couple of hours to import from a csv file. I created the file in excel (for Mac) and saved it as a .csv file. I just cannot make it work. I now feel that I am on a quest and cannot stop. I have imported files into my address book on comcast successfully before. 

GRRR.

Email Expert
CCCarole

magnolia_anne wrote:

Ok, I have tried now for a couple of hours to import from a csv file. I created the file in excel (for Mac) and saved it as a .csv file. I just cannot make it work. I now feel that I am on a quest and cannot stop. I have imported files into my address book on comcast successfully before. 

GRRR.

If you are using the FULL version of XfinityConnect, first switch to the LITE version.  To do:  Open XC, click on Preferencs>General.  Check the box for the Lite version.  Now close & re-open XC.  You should be in the Lite version.

To import the csv file using Lite:

Click on the address book tab

Click on EDIT to the right of the words address book on the left side

A window will open like this one below

IMPORT contacts Lite.JPG

Click on Browse and browse to where you saved the csv file

Click on Open when you have the csv file located

The csv file will appear in the Import from csv file field

Click on IMPORT

By the way, it isn't YOU if you are using the Full version of XC.  There is a problem with it that Comcast is working on fixing.  It has to do with syncing between plaxo ( univerdal address book program) and the XfinityConnect program.

Let us know if this helped you.

CC

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

I finally the email addresses to import by changing the order of columns. However, the names still did not populate and I ended up having to do that by hand. What a bother!

Thanks for your help.

Email Expert
CCCarole

If the problem continues when you attempt to add contacts, groups, or csv files, do post back about it.  Thanks!