Regular Visitor

Re: Outlook, Outlook Express, and Windows Mail Settings

I have set up Outlook Express V6 on my Windows PC. I even moved my address book from Webmail to OE. Can someone help me how to transfer my many files that contains old emails from Webmail to OE? Can't seem to find a faq that addresses this issue. HELP! Thanks
Email Expert
madylarian

Moving mail from Webmail to Outlook Express

Pianoguy wrote:
I have set up Outlook Express V6 on my Windows PC. I even moved my address book from Webmail to OE. Can someone help me how to transfer my many files that contains old emails from Webmail to OE? Can't seem to find a faq that addresses this issue. HELP! Thanks

This is a commonly asked question and a search should give you some idea.  Basically, the only way to do this is to move your Webmail emails from folders to the inbox, then open OE and download them.  If you do this by folder, then move the mail on OE to their own folder before downloading anymore, you can keep it all separate.

mady
Honi soit qui mal y pense
Visitor

Re: Moving mail from Webmail to Outlook Express

This method means that all my Comcast server folder contents will be copied to the local OE computer and so not accessible from another computer (unless I manage new folder filings manually).  But smooth universal access is exactly why I put them on the comcast server!  OE help says you can see folders on an IMAP server, so is there any way to make the Comcast (POP3) server behave that way?
Service Expert
Again

faxman wrote:
This method means that all my Comcast server folder contents will be copied to the local OE computer and so not accessible from another computer (unless I manage new folder filings manually).  But smooth universal access is exactly why I put them on the comcast server!  OE help says you can see folders on an IMAP server, so is there any way to make the Comcast (POP3) server behave that way?

Comcast doesn't support IMAP.

Remember, too, you don't have unlimited space in Comcast webmail.  So, while you may be able to access it "universally", you eventually will run out of storage space.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Bronze Problem Solver

faxman wrote:

You can set up most email clients, including Outlook Express, to leave a copy of your emails on the server. You can still then access your email from any computer. Comcast does not support/provide IMAP email servers.