New Visitor

Saving email to flash drive

Since my internet connection has become somewhat unreliable of late, I am interested in trying to save some of my important comcast emails to a flash drive. Is it possible to do that? If so, can someone tell me how?

Email Expert
Latoque

Re: Saving email to flash drive

[ Edited ]

The only way to do that is to use an email client program  like Outlook or Thunderbird.  I haven't tried it myself, but it wouldn't be any different, I should think, than using an external back up hard drive.  I use Thunderbird, and it stores emails as .eml files on the hard drive.  I don't think you can save direct from Xfinity, or any other webmail program.

I played around with it a bit----I'm on a Mac, and if I open a message and right click in the body of it, I get a sub menu with the option to "Save Page As".  I then have 3 or 4 options including as an HTML page--complete.  That saves it to my puter in any folder I choose.  Then when you want to look at it again, it opens the download and takes you to the message.

Bit of a bother.  You're much better off to start using a client, for several reasons.

But if you don't want to use a client, I can suggest that you set up your Xfinity/Comcast email address to forward a copy of incoming messages to an alternate email account like Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail---whatever.  That way you have them in two places and don't even need to take up any hard drive space, or use a flash drive.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
These are customer to customer support forums. We are paying customers just like you. We volunteer our time to try and help other customers with how-to help, and troubleshoot problems if we can. We can't look at your account. The only Comcast employees in the forums are those with their names in RED.
Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Saving email to flash drive

Here are the directions for moving email from XfinityConnect to an email client.

Moving email from Comcast's webmail (aka Xfinify Connect) to your computer.

People want to do this for a variety of reasons, the main ones being to backup the email, or to get local copies prior to switching ISPs.

Notes

You have to do this with an email client (like Outlook Express, Outlook, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, etc.).

You can only do this via POP3, and POP3 can only download email that's in the webmail Inbox.

IMPORTANT The default behavior of almost all POP3 email clients is to delete messages after downloading them. If you want copies of your email to still be available via webmail you have to configure the email client to "leave messages on server".

Different email clients have different ways of storing email. Although it's generally possible to export/import the various formats from client to client, viewing the downloaded email conveniently will always require using an email client.

Setup

Empty out the Inboxes of both webmail (unless you're only interested in what's in the webmail Inbox) and the email client. Create Temp folders and move messages in the Inbox to the Temp folder if necessary.

Create folders in the email client that correspond to the webmail folders.

Email client config: port 995, SSL, Leave messages on server; detailed configuration steps for some common email clients can be found here: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/E-Mail-Client-Settings-customer-generat... . That doesn't address the "Leave messages on server" aspect. Best bet there is to Google on "'your email software' 'version number' + leave messages on server" (without the single or double quotes).

How to do it

Move a folder's worth of messages into the webmail Inbox.

Download via email client

Move messages in the client Inbox to the appropriate folder (should be as simple as CTRL-A > Move)

Move messages in the webmail Inbox back to where they were.

Move another folder's worth of messages into the webmail Inbox.

Etc.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.