Web Page Expert
BethKatz
Accepted Solution

Screenshots of iPhone 5 mail settings

[ Edited ]

These settings work for the iPhone 5 with Comcast's POP mail server.

Note that you must enter your password for both incoming and outgoing mail.

The Name field must be your name rather than Comcast.

There isn't anything special here about the iPhone 5. The settings also work for iPads, iPod Touches, and earlier iPhones.

mailAcct.jpg     mailAdvanced.jpg

mailSMTP.jpg   mailOutgoing.jpg

Visitor

Re: Screenshots of iPhone 5 mail settings

Thanks so much.  My screens are exactly as you shared.  IPHONE says it is downloading the ones caught but none appear.  I am now going to try to delete or put in folders the ones around the date it stopped.  Thanks for your great help.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Note that the NAME field needs to be something other than Comcast. Use your real name or what you want people to see as your name.

The "description" field can be "Comcast", but the "name" field is what goes along as the easy to read text of who the messsage is from. It can be part of the spoofing of email, and Comcast seems to be checking that it isn't looking like the email came from them.

I tried this and changed the "name" field to Sandy Beach. Saved. Sent myself mail. It came to me with Sandy Beach as the name of the sender. It's very easy to pretend to be someone else. Very easy.

New Visitor
lancermjp

My Ipad and Iphone are set up like the screen shots but the people at Verizon cannot get my e-mails or send e-mails and I need help.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

lancermjp wrote:

My Ipad and Iphone are set up like the screen shots but the people at Verizon cannot get my e-mails or send e-mails and I need help.

If you send an email to yourself, what happens?

Can you sign-in to the web-based email? Does that work? 

Your cel service provider doesn't come into any part of these settings. We need more details.

New Visitor
shelly888

I am having the same issue as others.  I can't receive any new email on my iphone4. I have a comcast account.  The lastest email on my phone is from Monday,Oct. 29.  I have checked my screens several times comparing to your posting of screenshots( which is extremely helpful by the way, to us non-techies).  The only difference is I have 587 in my outgoing smtp server.  I did change it to 465 and it didn't help the problem, so I switched it back to 587.  I also was able to send an email from my iphone using m.comcast.net and it went through to my comcast account on my pc, but did not show up in my iphone email account. I also tried turning off my wireless on iphone, but that didn't help either. Is there anything else I can try?  So frustrated.  I briefly had this problem a few months ago, and was able to correct it simply by resetting my phone, turning it on and off. Thanks so much.

Visitor

Finally finally finally after deleting almost every email on my phone and mac, my comcast emails came through on my IPhone 5.  I was told there must have been one "bad" email keeping all others from coming through, but after cleaing most out, it worked!  So, try to delete your old emails and do be certain your screen looks like the one shown above.  Good luck.

New Visitor
shelly888

thanks for trying to help.  I actually deleted my account from my iphone, which wiped out all the emails-everything in inbox, sent etc.  I then reset up the account and now my most recent email is from 9/30!  The problem is worse.  All settings match those in screen saver. 

New Visitor

THANK YOU!!! I can finally send comcast emails from my iphone!!

New Visitor
Marlu1

Same here!  I am getting very frustated.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Marlu1 wrote:

Same here!  I am getting very frustated.

Marlu1, you didn't say which parts you have tried or even what "same here" means. Is the trouble both with sending and receiving or just one of those? Can you send and receive mail from the web-based mail? Has mail ever worked on your iPhone?

Did you match the screenshots and save everything? Did you try to change your password to one that includes at least an upper case letter, a lower case letter, and a digit? Is the name field something other than Comcast?

How many messages are you saving on the server? Is it possible that one of the messages on the server is messed up? Can you use the web-based mail to move all messages around the time it stopped working  into a folder on the server? Then send yourself email. Does your phone grab it?

New Visitor
scl4253

Thank you

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

My screenshots at the top of this thread seem to have helped many people. Follow them carefully. They work for all iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch). The settings also work for Macs.

Note that in Apple email clients you need to set the ports and passwords in two places - incoming and outgoing. The ports are different for incoming (995) and outgoing(465). You need to turn on SSL and have password authentication. The screenshots show that.

Also check that ...

You are not using Comcast in the name field. Use your real name.

You do not have too many messages stored on the Comcast server. Put the important ones in a folder (not under the trash) and delete the ones you don't need. A quick fix is to move all of them to a folder on the server. Then send yourself mail.

Your password is a strong one with upper and lower case letters as well as a digit.

New Visitor
cincinnance

Hi Beth,

I have been trying to set up my screens exactly as you show; however, every time I modify my outgoing server screen and press 'done' it takes me back to the iphone home screen and doesn't save the changes.  I have tried this multiple times, have deleted and re-added the comcast account and it is still happening.  Any ideas of what I can do?  Also, I have an iphone 4 but am on the latest OS.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Hmmm. Is the mail app running? That shouldn't be a problem, but force quitting Mail it is one thing I'd try. (Double-press the home button. In the tray that appears, tap the Mail icon. Tap the - on the Mail icon to quit the app. Then press the Home button again. Start Mail again.)

Having an iPhone 4 is fine. Those settings work on my old iPhone 3GS that's in Germany with my daughter.

You might also try restarting your phone by holding down the sleep button until the power off slider shows up. Apple note here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

If that doesn't work, I don't know. Ask Apple??

New Visitor
cincinnance

Thanks, Beth, these sound like reasonable suggestions.  I'll try them as soon as I get a chance and let you know.

New Visitor
cincinnance

I tried both suggestions, neither worked.  Looks like I may have to make a trip in to my Apple store this weekend......

New Visitor
momernst3

I am struggling with getting comcast mail. I can't find the screens that you show...I have an I-Phone 5. and my first mail screen is not Comcast at the top of it.  Mine says Other on the top of the screen and when I try to ad comcast. it won't verify it.

Visitor

This is the best posting on the issue.  No techno-speak.  The problem was in the server port 465 in screen 4.  Don't remember any other posts getting this far into the issue.  My work around had been to use the xfinity app and get a gmail account.  :smileyshocked:  Thanks much! 

Visitor

My iPhone settings are PRECISELY as pcitured in these screenshots.

BethKatz wrote:

These settings work for the iPhone 5 with Comcast's POP mail server.

Note that you must enter your password for both incoming and outgoing mail.

The Name field must be your name rather than Comcast.

There isn't anything special here about the iPhone 5. The settings also work for iPads, iPod Touches, and earlier iPhones.

mailAcct.jpg     mailAdvanced.jpg

mailSMTP.jpg   mailOutgoing.jpg

New Visitor
debrad0930

I am having the same issue with one slight difference - I will get like one email per day and I will occasionally get a "test" email that i send to my comcast account using gmail.  First I was having a problem at home earlier this week when i stopped getting email but could send.  I googled that and saw that Comcast had changed the pop server number (or STMP one of them - I don't know).  I found a page that told me how to change those numbers and I did and no problem getting email to Outlook Express anymore.  But, the next day, no more email to my iPhone 5.  So, I assumed it had something to do with the same issue so I deleted my accounts on the iPhone and added them again - hoping that would solve the problem.  It didn't.  So, still no email to my iPhone.  I can send, but I can't receive.

Visitor

The iPhone mail app for Comcast is not that great anyway.  Download the xfinity connect app from the App Store (free).  Place it either on the Home Screen or Dock.  I have been using it for a while and really like it.  There are more features than the iPhone app and when you delete an email it is really gone.  Now all I need to find is a better app to integrate all my accounts and contacts.

New Visitor
cindsrose

I have a new iphone5  I want to read my comcast email and them permanently delete it on the iphone, so the same emails do not later appear on my desktop email or ipad.

I have my setting at "delete from server when deleted from inbox" - that worked for my old iphone4, but has not worked since i switched to the iphone 5.  I have toggled that selection, backed out of it, restarted, etc and nothing seems to make the "delete from server..." selection work. any help is appreciated.  I dont know if this is a comcast or iphone issue.

I want my desktop to me the "master" -

Email Expert
CCCarole

cindsrose wrote:

I have a new iphone5  I want to read my comcast email and them permanently delete it on the iphone, so the same emails do not later appear on my desktop email or ipad.

I have my setting at "delete from server when deleted from inbox" - that worked for my old iphone4, but has not worked since i switched to the iphone 5.  I have toggled that selection, backed out of it, restarted, etc and nothing seems to make the "delete from server..." selection work. any help is appreciated.  I dont know if this is a comcast or iphone issue.

This is only possible with IMAP or exchange email accounts, not POP accounts.  Deleting from server when removed from inbox only makes the message unavailable for retreival by other email clients such as your computer, it doesn't cause the emails to be deleted from your computer.  With POP email you are not the email as it exists on the server; your email is downloaded locally and changes to the server are not synced to your local email.

You can set up IMAP (beta testing now) with Comcast.

You can sign up for it here:

https://xcbetasignup.comcast.net/

Note:  You will be sent an email when it is ready for you to finish the registration.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
cindsrose

that is not true, - all of my emails that I ready and trash, then delete from trash on my iphone, are still pulling thru on my windows mail on desktop and mail on ipad. 

This did not happen iwth the same settings on my iphone 4 and it was a POP server with comcast also.

I want to be able to delete "junk" email during the day on my phone, then NOT have that junk pull thru on windows mail on my desktop.  YOur reply says that will happen, but it will still be on the "server" - I NEVER log in to comcast.net, so i really dont care what is there, except that if it is still there it will pull thru on all my other devices and computers. 

Email Expert
CCCarole

Set up IMAP as suggested.  I don't use an iPhone, but I do use an iPad in addition to my desktop PC.  I also use Outlook 2011 amd Windows Live Mail 2012 in addition to XfinityConnect.  If I delete my messages from the iPad, after reading them, they are no longer in XfinityConnect, Outlook,etc. IMAP does the sync.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
cindsrose

Ok - will signing up on that site still allow my email to pull to windows live - i dont have windows 8 like it mentions. 

Also - will I need to re-set up email accounts on ipphone and ipad to get the new set up to work?

New Visitor
wrp1967

[ Edited ]

I have the same problems and nothing seems to resolve it.  My iPhone received emails regularly until approximately April 12.  Since then an occasional mail will come through.  My original port settings which worked were 587 for the Server(Outgoing)  and 110 for the Advanced Server (Incoming).  I changed both to those given in the screen shots, 465 for Outgoing and 995 for Incoming.  Using the original settings, I could send messages from my iPhone which were received on my PC, but were not grabbed by the iPhone.  With the screen shot ports, I could send messages again, but got an error message, "Cannot Get Mail" with text of The mail server "mail.comcast.net" is not responding.  Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail Settings.  This would indicate that port 995 is not correct (at least for my iPhone which is a 3GS) On the premise that a "bad" email may be blocking the email, I put all April and March emails from the Inbox on the PC to separate folders.  I also deleted all messages in the Trash folder on the iPhone and eliminated all unnecessary messages with an April date from the inbox.  I now changed the Incoming port back to 110 which has eliminated the error message above, but still will not download messages from the server.

Any further ideas?

Bill P

Bronze Problem Solver

cindsrose wrote:

Have you tried checking email again after deleting the messages? A POP client connects to the server; does its business, and then immediately disconnects. So the question is, *when* does the phone delete the messages from the server? It probably won't connect to the server to delete a message each time you delete one from the Inbox. It might be on a timer. How long do you wait before checking on its behavior? Forcing another connection by checking email again might get it to do the deletions. If a long wait and forcing another connection by checking email again don't work, it sounds like the phone is broken in that regard.

Contributor
remcintosh

These screen shots don't work. I have done this multiple times and it isn't working.

Contributor
remcintosh

Doesn't work. I called comcast and they said they could help if I sign up for new "Signature Support Services" for a fee. Oh... that's helpful. 

Visitor

I have tried all of the settings and suggestions that people have had, and they appear to work for a while and then errors start.  For the past several weeks I have been using the FREE Xfinity Connect app and have no problems - including deleting items.  I have since found out that Verizon suggests their customers download the app and not use the iPhone mail app.  Download the app, put it in the dock if you like, and save yourself some trouble.  Make sure you use the Xfinity Connect app and not one the other Xfinity entertainment apps.

Contributor
sullivanmt

I have the exact same issue. I can send emails just cannot recieve emails.  It was fine up until Friday July 19,2013 and then Saturday both my iphone and ipad quit working.  I have deleted and reinsatlled the Comcast (MacMail) account now multiple times.  I am using incoming server port 995 (POP3) and outgoing 465 (SMTP).  Even set up a new comcast password 3 times.  Renetered that same password in the incoming mail server and the outgoing mail server.  ALL with absolutely no success.  Called Comcast twice and was passed around to muliptle folks. Then was passed to their Infinity SIgnature Support - you could obvisouly tell you were speaking to somoene in a foreign bad connection and he asked me all the same questions as the othe 2 folks . Then said he would have to charge me for help!!

Really - their level 1 support guy asked me one question - what's your outgoing server port - I said 995 and he said he could not help me anymore.

Have you guys seen the notice they put out on their site dtd 07.17.2013 - apparenlty there is a known problem about this.  Put in "Incoming Server Port 995 issue"  and then see Email Client Programs.  That did not work for me either - but obviously there is a probelm using Comcast on ipad and iphones.   What it interesting is not even their 1.877.934.6489. As of today I have started looking for a new service provider for work and home.  This is SO frsutrating.

Contributor
sullivanmt

Comcast's Signature Suport - don't bother getting it

Already been trasferred to them.  It is people in a foreign country which you can tell. Which I normally would not have a problem - but there are horrible connections. You only hear every other word - the connection and the langauge barrier make it too difficult to work with them.  Just do as I am doing - look for another provider.  Obviously they did not do correct reserach re langauge barrier; using good communication providers b/w foreign countries and the US and then BUYING appropriate head gear that actually work - where people can hear you.  Why pay for a service you can't understand, hardly hear on the line and then give NO (zero) creidibility that they can actualy solve your problem. No wonder there are so many sites outside of Comcast that have compalinst about Comcast.

Bronze Problem Solver

sullivanmt wrote:

I have the exact same issue. I can send emails just cannot recieve emails.  It was fine up until Friday July 19,2013 and then Saturday both my iphone and ipad quit working.

Login to webmail and see how many messages you have in the webmail Inbox. The iphone, etc., email clients are known to have problems when there are "too many" messages stored on the server. If it looks like that might be the problem, the workaround is to move messages out of the webmail Inbox into other webmail folders you create.

New Visitor
Hemmingway

These are great but mine are set exact to the screen shots and still no can not get new emails. The phone sends email but that is it. I spent 2 hrs on chat with comcast and still nothing - that person sent me here. What is next - I am out of ideas of who can possibly fix this issue.

New Visitor
Hemmingway

Steve moving a large qty of my old emails into other folders outside onf my inbox on web mail - did the trick. Thank you for your post!  I am travelng this week and this was stressing me out for a week,

PROBLEM SOLVED!  

Visitor
bmorehunter

Everyone,  I use comcast email for both my i phone 5, macbook pro retina, and regular webmail at work for comcast.  Problem is emails I send from i phone don't show up on mac or office webmail.  I recently moved about 100 emails from my iphone into inbox hoping to set up separate folder to store them and I cannot find email anywhere on i phone 5.  PLEASE HELP as I need these emails for court and my child custody.  I am dying over here.  Thanks

FYI, my settings are the exact same as above.  Hope they are not lost forever

New Visitor

I verified my iPhone 5 settings but I still get error messages like "cannot get mail", "connection to server failed" and "mail.comcast.net" not responding. What do you suggest?
Visitor

[ Edited ]

Steve -your solution is the only thing that worked!!! I had well over 3000 emails on the server and apparently iOS email app couldn't handle it. First our iPad2 stopped getting new email last Saturday the 17th. Then yesterday first my wife's iPhone4s email stopped working and then several hours later my iPhone5 stopped getting new email. I spent 20 minutes on hold with Comcast support and finally connected with someone from "security" who I spent a good 30 minutes with to change the incoming and outgoing port numbers to the same settings in the screenshot in the first post in this thread. It did not work and we tried various configurations of 995 and 110 for incoming and 465 and 587 for outgoing.

Searching Apple's forums and Sprint's forums didn't produce an answer. I downloaded the Xfinity email iOS app and at leat that allowed me to get emails on my iPhone.

But the simple act of moving all emails from yesterday back from the Comcast server into a folder outside the Inbox allowed the iPhone email app to finally work. This is just some weird limitation that is the fault of the iPhone email app. Snooty Apple defenders be dammmed! I'm posting this over on the Apple forum too.

New Visitor
kebrady

Thanks Steve!!!!  You are the best......   :smileywink:

New Visitor

What you have shown for the iPhone5 settings is NOT correct, it is much easier than you noted. The following is correct.

Go to settings, choose mail, choose add account, choose other, choose under Mail - add mail account, follow info below - all that needs to be entered is name, email, password and description. i.e.

Name: John Appleseed (your name)

Email: jappleseed@comcast.net (your email)

Password: your comcast password

Description: enter what you want here, I use my name so I know which email account it is, default is comcast

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Anon104364 wrote:

What you have shown for the iPhone5 settings is NOT correct, it is much easier than you noted. The following is correct.

Go to settings, choose mail, choose add account, choose other, choose under Mail - add mail account, follow info below - all that needs to be entered is name, email, password and description. i.e.

Name: John Appleseed (your name)

Email: jappleseed@comcast.net (your email)

Password: your comcast password

Description: enter what you want here, I use my name so I know which email account it is, default is comcast

Yes, this is much easier and works for the vast majority of people.

But there are many people who have trouble becasue somewhere along the way doing the easy version, something wasn't set correctly.

Or they had their device for a long time and it was set up using port 25 for outgoing and it doesn't work anymore because Comcast has blocked port 25.

Or they had to change their password, and they changed it in only one place when they need to change it in two different places.

So, yes, there is an easy way to set up email. It's trivial. It just works.

But for those times when it doesn't work, look here for details.

New Visitor
CharleeA

I have an iPhone 4.  I have a Comcast account and had been able to send email from my phone up until I upgraded to iOS7.  I went through all of the screenshots and still get the "Cannot Send Mail: The user name or password for "SMTP:...." is incorrect.  I have checked and double checked, entered and re-entered my information to no avail.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

New Visitor
CharleeA

I discovered and fixed the problem finally...no need to respond...

New Visitor
jamielovesbob

Someone PLEASE help me. My iphone 5s is not recieving emails (my husbands Droid is also not receiving Comcast emails but both of us are able to send emails and we are also able to both send and receive from Comcast on our tablets).  Apple can't help me, Verizon can't help me and Comcast won't help me unless I pay them $49 which I think is unreasonable to get the settings I need to have Apple help me with my phone.  Any help would be great.  Thank you.

New Visitor
jamielovesbob

I have the same problem, what did you do to fix this???

Contributor
cbudny

My Comcast mail works perfectly through the iPhone5's "Mail" icon; I set it up 8-10 months ago.

However, I just got my first iPad (mini) and even though every setup parameter for the Comcast account is the same as the corresponding screens in my iPhone5 settings (and they match your screenshots), as soon as I change the port to 465 on the iPad, the iPad gets stuck in an eternal "Verifying..." stage, and I end up having to power it off.

Any thoughts?

New Visitor
grandbrother

I've entered the exact settings outlined in the screen shots, but I keep getting a username or password  incorrect message. I've used the username and password on the website successfully (logged in right now as a matter of fact), so I have no idea why they aren't being accepted on my iPhone.

Visitor

Download the free Xfinity Connect app from the iTunes Store and remove the Comcast account from the iPhone Mail app. Been using it for months with no problems.