Recognized Contributor

Setup Email Using Windows 7

How do I setup email using Windows 7? Everything I read refers to Vista.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Email Expert
JR071702

Re: Setup Email Using Windows 7

clajas wrote:

How do I setup email using Windows 7? Everything I read refers to Vista.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

What client are you using?
JR

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

Unlike previous versions of Windows, Windows 7 does NOT come with a built in email client, you have to install one or use an online client, such as Comcast's SmartZone.  Microsoft provides the free Windows Live Mail, as well as MS Outlook (sold separately or as part of MS Office).  Other clients include Thunderbird (free), Eudora (free and paid versions), Pegasus, and many others.  Pick one you like.  At to top of this forum are stickies that address how to configure the common Windows clients.  If the one you pick is not listed, check the Comcast Help FAQ's or simply ask here, we'll be glad to help.

In general, the settings are pretty much the same, with minor differences in interface and security choices.

Your incoming server mail.comcast.net, port is 110 (plain text) or port 995 (SSL encrypted).

Your outgoing SMTP server is smtp.comcast.net.  While port 25 still works for many, I don't recommend it.  Try port 587 with password authentication turned on and SSL. 465 with SSL and authentication also works.

If using Thunderbird or Eudora (as well as some others), use TLS instead of SSL on the SMTP server, they are pickier about the flavor of SSL/TLS used.

I use Outlook 2003 on my Windows 7 system.  I have Office 2003 and it comes with Outlook and it's something I use everyday at work, so it's familiar and comfortable.  I didn't like Windows Live Mail when I tried it, had corruption problems and I didn't like all the vertical whitespace in the left hand folder/account pane.  Thunderbird is an Outlook Express (ie. XP's email client) workalike and is highly regarded.  I'd recommend you try several different clients until you find one you like.  Just make sure you configure each to leave your messages on the server or when you go to the next client, it won't find anything to download.

Recognized Contributor

Thanks for the replies, I probably should have included more information.

I had been using Windows XP and Outlook Express with Smartzone on my old computer, when I reset my modem on a new computer the email worked fine with one small exception. If I click a email address on a website a message comes up that a default mail client is not properly installed. I copy and paste the address in Smartzone and it works fine. I had thought about installing Windows Live Mail but have not done so since it seemed to work OK with the one exception.

The setup instructions I've looked at here all refer to Vista and not 7.

That's where I am at this moment. Should I install Windows Live Mail and then follow the Vista setup instructions?

Thanks.

Jim 

Service Expert
Again

clajas wrote:

Thanks for the replies, I probably should have included more information.

I had been using Windows XP and Outlook Express with Smartzone on my old computer, when I reset my modem on a new computer the email worked fine with one small exception. If I click a email address on a website a message comes up that a default mail client is not properly installed. I copy and paste the address in Smartzone and it works fine. I had thought about installing Windows Live Mail but have not done so since it seemed to work OK with the one exception.

The setup instructions I've looked at here all refer to Vista and not 7.

That's where I am at this moment. Should I install Windows Live Mail and then follow the Vista setup instructions?

Thanks.

Jim 

Go ahead an install WLM and follow the instructions for Vista; you shouldn't have any problems since the setup information will be the same as far as servers go.

Or, you could try Thunderbird which is a very good and robust client.  I actually find Thunderbird much easier to use than Windows Live Mail.

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
--- Lao Tzu ---
"Life is not linear. It's all a circle. Our dust becomes the firmament on which the future walks."
--- © James Scott 2014 ---

Email Expert
JR071702

I would agree with Again on T-Bird.   Thunderbird 3 has improved on what was a very good e-mail client already with Thunderbird 2.

JR