Contributor

Size of message exceeds temporary size limits?

My current email client is Mozilla Thunderbird and tonight, I tried to simply respond to a message sent to me a couple of days ago. 

Th send fails with the following message:

"The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds a temporary size limit of the server. The message was not sent; try to reduce the message size or wait some time and try again. The server responded:  4.1.1 ... temporary failure."

The message I'm sending is three lines long......

I tried logging into webmail and sending the same message and got 'invalid address'.

Invalid address, I understand (even though it's a valid address).

My message is exceeding size limits with a three line message??

Any help?

Bronze Problem Solver
RobW_AA

Re: Size of message exceeds temporary size limits?

When you receive that error message, as well as the error in webmail about invalid address... Is it always for that one email address you are trying to reply/send too? 

It is very likely that the temp failure you are receiving (4.1.1...) is actually an error message provided by the receiving server and we are just returning the error to you.  And when you send in webmail, it could be a similar issue with the receiving end not accepting the message.  If the error is not using standard RFC wording, then the webmail might be showing invalid address if the error is similar to the error you would get when an address is invalid.

If you open a new message in Thunderbird, and try and send to this recipient, are there any issues?

If not, then the actual message you are attempting to reply to could have a large amount of meta data or perhaps some type of corruption.  Although that does not answer the webmail error. 

If you would like to send me a PM (Private Message) with your email address, the recipients email address, and time/date of when you tried to send I can check our logs to see if my assumption is correct or not.

Thank you,

Rob W

Comcast

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Size of message exceeds temporary size limits?

Zone99 wrote:

My current email client is Mozilla Thunderbird and tonight, I tried to simply respond to a message sent to me a couple of days ago. 

Th send fails with the following message:

"The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds a temporary size limit of the server. The message was not sent; try to reduce the message size or wait some time and try again. The server responded:  4.1.1 ... temporary failure."

Thunderbird and Comcast are on different pages regarding error messages. The full error message from the server is "452 4.1.1 ... temporary failure". TB sees the "452" part and interprets it as an error about size limits. The actual problem is that there is a DNS problem with the domain part of the email address. Comcast won't accept email to (or from) email domains that are currently undeliverable. Comcast can't get a DNS answer about whether or not it's a valid email domain, so it responds with that 452 error code, which is a temporary error that essentially means "try again later".