Service Expert
Bartleby

SmartZone Trouble? -- Please read before posting

This discussion is aimed at all posters who are upset as a result of migration to SmartZone (SZ).  Please read this entire post (for those that notice it), before dashing off a reply.

Some posters just want the old webmail application back, because they were able to use it, despite webmail's limitations and quirks of its own.  Others are willing to accept SZ, but are having trouble making SmartZone (SZ) work for them.  And many posters need to vent their frustrations.

I have some suggestions I hope can improve everyone's experience here in the E-Mail help board.  The forum volunteers and Comcast employees who also work these boards continue to dive in to address every post that we can.  Please review the following, and work with us.

Please have patience with us, just as you expect us to be patient in dealing with all of the posts here.  We all understand the need to vent our frustrations, sometimes.  And venting can relieve some of the steam in our inner "pressure cookers".  But if you really want help, please read on.

For those that just "want webmail back" to make them "happy" again:

I feel for everyone that can't figure out the new SmartZone.  Even for the folks that just don't want to, and wish to return to the old webmail.  But if you've been migrated, you can't go back to webmail.

It simply can't and won't be done.  Comcast isn't just being stubborn on that.  And Comcast's messaging and portal team members are working to improve the SZ experience and capabilities.  At the same time the unpaid volunteers here on the E-Mail help board try to get to everyone's concerns, confusion, and complaints.  But we can't "fix" this one by undoing the SZ rollout. 

SZ just won't work for you?:

You may be having difficulty because SZ really doesn't work--and it does have some known issues.  And some issues may have gotten past the beta test process, so they are being uncovered here.  (Venting about the "failure" of SZ testing to fix everything is just a distraction, even if doing so makes you feel a little better.)

Most SZ functions operate as designed.  And some quirks that have been noted during beta testing are already being discussed and addressed.  With everyone's cooperation we can uncover others, and address confusion over basic SZ capabilities.

It's possible that your system isn't configured in ways that SZ is capable of supporting well.  Older systems often struggle to keep up with the latest advancements in applications.  And application developers try to accommodate that, but can't cover every possibility.  There are simply too many possible combinations of system specifications, browser choices, and even User configuration choices to cover.  That's why SZ has two basic configurations of its own.  The Full interface, and SZ Lite.  If one doesn't work, the other one may fit your system's capabilities, and your e-mail usage habits, to fit your needs.

Can't understand how to use SZ the way you were used to using webmail?

Some of us don't accept and adapt to changes as well as others.  That's understandable.  When you are in a comfort zone, you know your way around the quirks and complaints of what you are using, and they quickly fade as background concerns.  There's a tutorial that might help, "show you around" in SZ.  Have you seen it?  (Some people can't get the tutorial to run, or slow it down enough to follow.  But we have suggestions to help with that, too.)  To make the SZ tutorial easier to find, there's a discussion thread that starts with a link to the SZ tutorial:

Link to the SmartZone Tutorial Sticky Post

The following are some general observations and suggestions.  I hope readers of this discussion take the time to review and consider how they can help through their attention and cooperation.

Chaotic posting on this E-Mail help board. 

"Me too" postings -- In their zeal to complain, some posters have peppered the boards with discussions of how bad things are for them, after migration.  The volunteers have to wade through "me too" posts in many discussions, to find the people with specific concerns we can actually help resolve.  We already "get it" that some people are just plain P.O.'ed, and need to scream at somebody.  We understand the frustration, but could posters please tone down the "attitude"?

Volunteers here are bending over backwards to try and assist.  Being "smacked around" while we are at it isn't a good motivational method, in my opinion.  And grousing about the "goofs" who "built this mess" and "dumped" it on you is an attack that may make you feel better, but won't resolve problems any sooner. 

"Roaming" posters -- Please help us all to be better organized.  A few posters may be getting lost, here.  Or simply choose to chime in on another discussion.  Or can't find their original posts.  And that just increases everyone's exasperation.  It may be reinforcing or reassuring to see that you have company in your complaints.  ("Misery loves company" as it's said.)  But commiserating about how "terrible" SZ is just detracts from our efforts to provide real help for those that want it.  And chaos on the discussion board forces everyone to put in extra effort to track and address individual concerns and questions.

Many of you didn't even know this Help board existed, until you were migrated to SmartZone.  So it's understandable that you're confused in navigating around here, and possibly not aware of some basic forum "rules of the road" to help keep down the chaos.

Please make an effort not to jump into the flow of someone else's discussion, unless you are dealing with the same problems being addressed there.  When you jump in with different issues, or just to add your complaints, everyone gets side-tracked.  We can't avoid that completely.  But here are some suggestions in that regard.

If you've come here and started a discussion, please try to keep further replies in your existing  thread.  When you place your posts all over the place, you might lose track of answers that have already been provided to you elsewhere.  And the volunteers trying to help you have to put effort into keeping up with your issues in multiple places.  All while remembering what we think we've already provided--and where.

Sticky Posts:

There's an understandable tendency on any person's part to believe their situation is unique (which may be true in many cases).  But there are a couple of posts at the top of this E-mail help board that address common concerns, and provide typical fixes and suggestions--or point to resources we hope will assist you in figuring out SZ.  Many common complaints and points of confusion are addressed in those posts (known here as "stickies").  I've already provided a link to one such sticky, above.  There's another specific concern addressed in the sticky post just below that one.

We are attempting to add information and refine those sticky discussion threads, as we go.  We update them with problems that many people are experiencing, and attempt to use them as a "standard" for providing basic help.  With everyone's help, those will get even better, as information resources.

Please review them, before you start a discussion of your own.  And please do start your own discussion, instead of posting replies right in the sticky.  That helps isolate any issues that may be unique to your situation.  And it keeps the sticky discussions focused and on track.

If the sticky info doesn't seem to apply or doesn't work when you try it, we'll try to walk you through it.

We really are here to help. 

Help us to help you.  There's always a period of "chaos" on the Help forum boards, when something new is rolled out by Comcast.  SZ is no exception.

I hope that our general efforts to communicate can be improved, with everyone's cooperation.  And I know that everyone who comes to this E-mail help board may not find this post, or take the time to read it.  For those that have found this discussion, and taken the time to review it, I personally thank you for that extra effort.

Nobody here wants you to be unhappy, or unable to use SZ to your satisfaction.  And we all want the process of providing help to be as positive as possible, even in the face of the "SZ disaster".  Despite personal points of view and indications to the contrary, SZ does work on many levels--and improves on webmail's capabilities.  Some may not understand that to be true, but we are here to show you how to find your way around.

Once again, I appreciate everyone's efforts to be heard.  And I hope my suggestions will reduce the level of anxiety and effort for all involved.

Please feel free to post constructive criticism.  (Not to just pick my suggestions apart, or attack them.)

If you feel our efforts to help can be improved by your suggestions, we would really love to hear them.

Best Regards,

Bartleby

Email Expert
JR071702

Re: SmartZone Trouble? -- Please read before posting

[ Edited ]

Excellent post, Bartleby.   Hopefully, it'll be make a sticky :smileyhappy:

Bartleby wrote:

If you've come here and started a discussion, please try to keep further replies in your existing  thread.  When you place your posts all over the place, you might lose track of answers that have already been provided to you elsewhere.  And the volunteers trying to help you have to put effort into keeping up with your issues in multiple places.  All while remembering what we think we've already provided--and where.

One think I wanted to add on the above.   After starting your topic/discussion, you can go into the topic and click on the Topic Options link.  If you select "Bookmark This Topic", a bookmark in your Forums profile will be set for this Topic.   It will appear under "Your Recent Bookmarks" on the right-hand side of the page (if it was one of the last three - otherwise, click more to be taken into your profile).

That way, you can easily find your topic.

JR

Message Edited by JR071702 on 10-24-2008 07:59 PM
Service Expert
Bartleby

[ Edited ]

Thanks JR.  I thought about adding the bookmark suggestion, after my initial post, to help people learn to find their way back to their threads.

Now I don't have to.  :smileyhappy:

And I apologize for my first post being so long.  Probably decreases the chances people will actually read it, if they find it.  But I can dream.  I hope that isn't translated as "dream on".  :smileywink:

Another helpful forum hint in the same vein:

Posters can use the Float button to keep their threads near the top of a message board every time they come back there.  That button is the little "up arrow" icon at the right of every discussion when looking at any message board, for those that aren't aware.  If you don't see that button, you need to access your profile.  There's a link after your name near the top of any message board (right under the Board name).  Go to My Profile and select the Preferences tab.  Scroll down to find Show Float Column make sure that's checked.  Then scroll down to the bottom of the Preferences list to Save Changes.

Message Edited by Bartleby on 10-24-2008 08:19 PM
Email Expert
CCCarole

Bartleby, The MODS need to make this a stickie. Great job!!! I do hope that it will be read and utilized.

KUDOS to you.:smileygrin:

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

I read your posting.  We all know that Comcast will not go back to webmail since they have made an investment in this SmartZone.  Complaining is utterly useless.  Venting does provide temporary relief, but ultimately it is just depressing.  I am looking for a new ISP.  Goodbye.
Security Expert
CajunTek

Split to its own thread since this is not a thread to post concerns about smartzone but an instructional thread.. This post provided no instruction.

Security Expert
CajunTek

Official Employee
charvey

Email Expert
JR071702

Having connection issues with SmartZone - even after clearing cache and deleting cookies?   

If so, is your computer connected via a router rather than directly into the cable modem?

If the answer to both of the above questions is "yes", then you may want to check how current the firmware is on your router?  Logging into your router will allow you to check the level of your firmware and then going out to your router manufacturer's website will allow you to see if there are more recent firmware levels for your router model (and possibly revision within model).

Now the specifics are going to vary depending on the manufacturer and model of your router, but here's a general idea of the steps involved:

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticgeek/2007/07/30/upgrade-your-routers-firmware/

There have been several recent incidents where SmartZone users were having connection problems which were resolved by updating the firmware on their router, so if you are having similar issues, it's definitely worthwhile investigating if you are connected through a router.

JR

Email Expert
JR071702

Are you having slowness/performance issues with SmartZone??

Comcast has been asking for users to provide the following information (I have added #7 & #8...JR)

Can you provide information on:
1) What OS version you are running (and service pack level)
2) How much computer memory do you have installed

3) What browser are you running and what release is it
4) What browser addons are installed?   what ones are enabled?

5) What toolbars are installed (not necessarily viewable, just installed)?
6) What anti-virus software do you have installed?  What anti-spyware do you have installed??
7) Whether you are connected through a router??

8) Whether you are running SmartZone or SmartZone Lite?

Thanks,
JR