New Visitor
JudithStern

Solution to : Verizon Blocks Email

This may help any Comcast internet user who uses Outlook or similar software with a wireless router, has had trouble emailing Verizon account holders, and has not been able to find a way around the problem:

In February 2011 Verizon began blocking email that I send to Verizon account holders, when I use Outlook, my Comcast account, and my home wireless network.   On my end, it looked like these emails went through, but the intended recipients said that they did not receive them. I did not have any such problem when I sent email to Verizon accounts using SmartZone rather than Outlook.  Ultimately, I determined that Verizon recognized the email that I sent via Outlook by the external router IP address, and blocked email with that router address as suspected spam.

I prefer to use Outlook, and this blacklisting was inconvenience.   I could not convince Verizon that I'm not a spammer despite doing a security sweep for malware, following all of the procedures Verizon recommended (e.g.., filing a "whitelist request form"), sending email to Verizon, calling Verizon, and having my parents (Verizon customers) contact Verizon on my behalf.  We could not convince them to stop blocking my email. In fact, a Verizon tech said that this issue is so complicated that they would most likely never fix it. 

Therefore, I thought I might be able to change something on my end so that Verizon would no longer recognize my email as that of a suspected spammer. The Comcast techs who knew what I was talking about said that Comcasts assigns external router IP addresse dynamically.  It seems, however, that they kept re-assigning the same IP address to our router.   So we changed the MAC address on our router to a MAC address belonging to my laptop.  That way, Comcast's server thought the router was my laptop and  gave it a new IP address, one that had belonged to my laptop and not to the router.  This one Verizon let sail through.  That solved the problem, at least until Verizon decides to blacklist my new external router IP address.

New Visitor
shcreighton

Re: Solution to : Verizon Blocks Email

I am having this exact problem.  However the key point of your post is "a Comcast tech who knew about this issue".   I have just spoken to 4 techs.   One of them agreed and was sending something to fix the problem and then I was cut off.  The other three had no idea.   I'll keep trying.    

Contributor
jqross

This is a bit long but I hope it will solve some of the same problems for others.

I Tried your suggestion and it worked but a little scary.  I have been working on this for 2 months.  Finally after the 3rd try contacting Verizon through their Whitelist link whitelist@verizononline.net they finally came back and verified that my IP address was being blocked because, (now get this), my IP address was being assigned dynamically by my ISP.  Are you kidding me!  Almost all ISP's assign the IP address dynamically otherwise it would be one heck of a nightmare to use static (I’m in IT).  Now the IP address you have to give them is the one on your router that Comcast has assigned to you or call Comcast if you do not have a router (good luck on that one).

Here is what Verizon sent me:

“ After investigation, Verizon Online Security has determined that e-mail from your IP address will not be allowed access to the Verizon Online e-mail domain due to one or more of the following reasons:

Dynamic IP- your ISP indicates that your IP address is dynamically assigned

Once you have addressed any security-related issues on your network, you should contact Verizon Online Security via this form. At that time, we will work with you to restore normal e-mail traffic or to take other action as we deem appropriate.

Sincerely,

Verizon Online Security”

What a bunch of idiots.  So after spending all of Saturday night and into 2:00 AM Sunday morning on the line to Outlooks chat room to explain to them what the problem was and all they had to do were to assign me a new IP address.  I even sent them the Verizon reply to help them further understand.  The one tech. I thought had the fix but it did not work because you were telling Comcast that they were blocking the IP even after I explained it was Verizon so don’t bother using it.

Katrina Cecilia(Sat May 14 23:24:49 EDT 2011)>

Joseph, in order to unblock your IP address, please do fill in this form. http://www.comcastsupport.com/sdcxuser/asp/comcast_blockedprovider.asp

68:55:116:XXX  is not listed in the Comcast blocklist. Please review

the following FAQ to understand how to identify a blocked IP address:

The second tech. I got was worthless as he said to me “well we can’t give you a new one because it is assigned dynamically.  I just about went ballistic.

So completely frustrated and with great reluctance I logged into my D-Link DIR-825 router having my paper clip folded out ready for a reset button on the router if all went south.  Found the page where I could assign the MAC address to be my computer as you suggested and clicked the button.  When I did this all the IP addresses disappeared and showed all zeros’.  This is where I became real nervous.  I shut down everything, computer, modem and router.  Waited the recommended 30 seconds, brought up the modem and waited for the lights to calm down then cranked up the router and then my computer.  Well my heart sank when I couldn’t get on the web or Comcast.  Let it wait for awhile and wham.  Comcast assigned a new IP address, subset mask and MAC address.  All was working now so it was time to try the Verizon email problem and sure enough it WORKED.  3 of my Verizon people got emails.

Thank you very much JudithStern

Joe Ice

Visitor

Hi Everyone

Like many of you, several months ago, my outgoing mail to verizon addresses was not being receved but I was able to receive their mails - although one verizon contact has had no probolem getting my mails.  I have Vista and am using windows Mail program.   I had been sending mail to the same verizon people for years when this suddenly happened so i decided to do some testing:

I sent mail via the comcast web site Smartzone from my account.  It went through.

I took my laptop to my friend's house who has the same Linksys wireless router and also has comcast cable in the same service area.   My mail to verizon customers went through.

At home, I direct-connected my laptop to our cable modem - my mail went through.

It had to be our wireless router.  I had the thought that the problem may be tied somehow to my actual Email account so I created a secondary comcast Email account and added it to my existing Mail program.  My mail was received.

Somehow, either verizon or comcast has associated the IP address of the router or it's MAC address with my Email account as being a spammer combo (although this doesn't account for how one verizon person here in our area, has always gotten my mail).  Rather than change the MAC address on the wireless router, I'm just going to use this second Email address to communicate with my verizon contacts.  What if it happens again?  What Mac address will people who are doing this use next?  Comcast allows up to 7 addresses and it's just easier for me.  A bother but until verizon or comcast addresses the issue, I guess we'll have to workaround.

Contributor
jqross

coolmamjan:

Glad to hear that you found a work around and good info for the form but now you have to use 2 different email names to contact your Verizon accounts.  What a pain!  I am surprised that a change in the name would fix the problem since both are going through the same router IP address.

It is the IP address of your router that is causing the problem.  You probably got a virus that sent out span to all of your contacts in your address book and that is why Verizon blocked your IP address.

When you use Smartzone you are using Comcast IP address through the web interface not you routers that is why it works.  It is your routers IP address that is causing the problem and will be blocked until you change it and you will never get back to where you were.

That is why when you went to your friends house it worked.  You were using a different out IP address on their router.

If it happens again and you have more than 1 computer on your network go to that different computer, login into your router on the internet (Linksys is usually \\http:\192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0) and find the page that will allow you to set the IP address of your router the same as the computer you are on and go through the power down and power up scenario.  Use as many computers that you have in the house if the problem happens again.

If you are fine with the scenario you have go for it but that would never work for me and I think you will find in the long run it gets to be bit more labor sum than it is worth.

Good luck.

Joe Ice

Visitor

Hi Joe

I'm a network professional so I was surprised as well that the actual E-mail address was tied to the router address.  The crazy thing is that I have one verizon user who always receives my mail.   She was getting my mail when a lady who lives just 3 miles away wasn't.   I run kaspersky religiously and have been clean for years so I was able to rule out a virus on my laptop.   Because I have so few verizon contacts it was no big deal for me to just use a second address but for other people, this sure must be a pain.  I think this is prolific enough where comcast should at least be knowledgeable enough for phone support because it seems a whole lot of people started having problems early this year.  My friend called them the other day when she lost cable signal for several days and they told her to call Toshiba!  I told her how to reset and everything was fine.  Sometimes you get excellent first-tier supoort and sometimes I swear my mother-in-law is on the other end :-)

Contributor
jqross

coolmamjan:

Can't explain the 3 mile thing.  I had a constant to deal with that all of my Verizon friends were not getting my emails but I was getting theirs just like you.

Most Comcast users don’t know that the first line of defense before calling Comcast is to shut down everything (I mean unplug) than wait 30 seconds or so, bring up the modem (wait) than the router and then the computer and just let everything sit there for a few minutes and talk to each other but of course that does not always work so that is why I went with the Judith method and all worked well.

Easy on the mother-in-law, I got one as well, been there done that.

Hey, I am look for employment.  Is your company hiring?

Stay in touch

Joe Ice

jqross@comcast.net

Bronze Problem Solver

coolmamajan wrote:

Hi Everyone

Like many of you, several months ago, my outgoing mail to verizon addresses was not being receved but I was able to receive their mails - although one verizon contact has had no probolem getting my mails.  I have Vista and am using windows Mail program.   I had been sending mail to the same verizon people for years when this suddenly happened so i decided to do some testing:

I sent mail via the comcast web site Smartzone from my account.  It went through.

That's apparently because your IP address is presented differently in webmail vs using an email client. With an email client your IP address shows up in a Received: line, with webmail it shows up in an X-Originating-IP: line. Verizon apparently scan the Received: lines looking for IP addresses listed in the Cloudmark CSI list, and silently throw away email when they a hit.

I took my laptop to my friend's house who has the same Linksys wireless router and also has comcast cable in the same service area.   My mail to verizon customers went through.

At home, I direct-connected my laptop to our cable modem - my mail went through.

It had to be our wireless router.  I had the thought that the problem may be tied somehow to my actual Email account so I created a secondary comcast Email account and added it to my existing Mail program.  My mail was received.

That does sound odd. Is there any chance that Comcast spontaneously changed the IP address associated with one of your MACs while you were fiddling around with things?

Somehow, either verizon or comcast has associated the IP address of the router or it's MAC address with my Email account as being a spammer

Well, it wouldn't be Comcast doing it because you're only having a problem sending to Verizon, right? And, Verizon would have no idea which MAC address you were using. So that leaves Verizon not liking your IP address.

combo (although this doesn't account for how one verizon person here in our area, has always gotten my mail). 

It could be that Verizon users have individual filtering options, and that that user has turned off one of the options.

Contributor
jqross

Hey coolmamajan:

Comcast assigns dynamically the IP address of the router when you hook it up since all of the computers at home will be using the same router to access the internet.  By passing the router and hooking it up to the modem directly I did not try but that would explain why you were able to get out because the modem may have had a different IP address and probably a different MAC address.  I am just speculating here.  All I know is what Judith said worked and for months I have had no problems at all.

It was not the MAC address that Verizon was blocking it was the IP address of my router.  The only way I could get Comcast to assign me a new IP address was to change the MAC address of my router to confuse Comcast because most of the techs did not understand what I was trying to do and could not help.

I doubt that Comcast suddenly changed my IP address because of my fiddling around when I tried resetting my modem and router several times and only when I reassigned my router a new MAC address was when I dynamically received a new IP address from Comcast.  Bobba bing.

I tried the Cloudmark CSI trick but did not get a reply from them for almost a month after I had fixed the problem.

Comcast and Verizon hate each other and do not want to deal with this problem.  Comcast has to get off of their butts and address this head on but are too indifferent or don’t care.  Same thing!

Joe Ice

Contributor
jqross

Hey coolmamajan:

I forgot to mention that I am using Outlook as my email program.

Joe Ice

Contributor
jqross

To Group:

Well it happened again.  Verizon blocked my routers IP address once again.  My computer is squeaky clean and I got blocked.  Now I am really getting mad and I do not want to re-assign my routers MAC address again as I did before.

So determined I got on the Verizon whitelist that I call the blacklist whitelist@verizononline.net and asked if in fact I was once again being blocked saying:

"I cannot send emails to my Verizon friends because you are blocking my routers IP address.  This is the second time that you have done this.  I think I need to call my congress person.  IP Address is xx.xx.xx.xxx."

I think that you need to give them some company name to complete the form.  Remember you have to give them your router or modem IP address not your computer.

Found a great web site called “whatismyipaddress.com” for the novice to find your router or Comcast modem IP address.  Even tells you who is your ISP, your city and state address.  You can even tell who is blocking you although Verizon was not on the list at all.

This time they got back to me right away but it was a Friday 09/09/2011 knowing that the weekend was upon me.

They responded once again:

“After investigation, Verizon Online Security has determined that e-mail from your IP address will not be allowed access to the Verizon Online e-mail domain due to one or more of the following reasons:

Dynamic IP- your ISP indicates that your IP address is dynamically assigned

Once you have addressed any security-related issues on your network, you should  contact Verizon Online Security via this form. At that time, we will work with you to restore normal e-mail traffic or to take other action as we deem appropriate.

Sincerely,

Verizon Online Security

http://www2.verizon.net/policies

abuse@verizon.net

I replied:

“I have run Norton Protection, Malware and Superantispyware Professional all with that latest virus definitions and I can assure you that my computer is clean and is not sending span to your customers.  Will you please unblock my IP address (xx.xx.xx.xxx) so that I can send emails to my friends.”

I replied to the whitelist email as well as cc: abuse@verizon.net link.

I waited and I waited and behold on Monday 09/12/2011 they replied:

“Dear Mr. Ross,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Online Abuse. After a thorough investigation of your issue, Verizon Online Abuse has determined that normal e-mail delivery should be restored within 12 hours.

Sincerely,

Verizon Online Abuse

http://www2.verizon.net/policies

http://www.verizon.net/security

Abuse@verizon.net

Well it was restored sooner than 12 hours but now I know the easier way (I hope) to resolve this issue in the future.

Hope this helps you guys out there.

Joe Ice

Visitor

Joe Ice:  Thanks for the tip.  I can now send to everyone on Verizon but they made me wait 72 hours! 

Contributor
janismurph

So funny you mention this- I just called comcast to fix the same problem, and the first guy rolled my over to Xfinity Premium Support, couldn't wait for me to get off the line- When I got to a person and re_explained the situtation, she asked me to hold, and whoops- 4 minutes later - the operator gets on to find out "what number I am dialing".

I am so glad I opted to take the survey after the call. Of course I voiced my opinion in low scores. Lets see if anything happens.

Meanwhile my computer is still not sending Verizon emails.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Contributor

SOLUTION SOLUTION SOLUTION

To fill out the application on the Verizon white list, go to:

www.verizon.net/whitelist

You will get a confirmation from Verizon and all your email to Verizon will go through.

Zeus

Email Expert
CCCarole

Zeus, Pleae edit the previous post that contains an email address.  To do:  Open the post, click on OPTIONS on the right side of the post and then click on Edit Reply.  A window opens shopwing the post... DELETE the email address, and then click on Post to re-post it.

Please read the Posting Guidelines regarding personal information in the PUBLIC Forums.  It is not allowed.  If not removed, we will need to move the post from view.  Thank you.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

I could not find "edit reply" so I could not delete it.  sorry for the infraction, please delete the post.

Zeus

Email Expert
CCCarole

Zeus,

First open that Post.  The click on Options.  Do you not see Edit Message or Edit Reply in your post?

EDIT.JPG

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor

I have s mac os x.

I click on options but get a different menu.

Is opening the post a problem.  If so, how do I open it?

Zeus

Email Expert
CCCarole

Zeus,

I removed that post.  All that you should have had to do was to scroll up to that post you made containig the email address and click on Options on the right side of it.  What options did you see?

CC

Contributor

Hightligh

print

Email Expert
CCCarole

Zeus,

Ok, definitely you are missing some.  I will try to let the Administrator know.

CC