New Visitor

Someone is using my email address?!?!

Someone is giving out my email address as their own... I think. I don't know if this is some scam, or what's going on. A few months ago I started getting emails addressed to a person who supposedly has the same last name, and first initial as I do, which is what I use for my email address. They are usually confirmations for online purchases from a few different businesses, like a book store, and a pool supply place. At first I thought it was just spam, but I dont think so. Next I thought someone might be using my bank account, but everything there is normal. Then I thought that my email account might have been comprimised but there are no emails being sent, I just receive them from other people to "him". I'm going to run a credit check just to be safe and make sure someone has n't opened a credit card in my name.

I don't know what to do about this. I reported it to Comcast, they said "yes we do have a customer by that name, but you should report this to abuse so we can address it with him." So I reported it to the abuse department and there was no response. I can't email the guy and tell him to knock it off because he's using my email address!!!

Has anyone else had this happen? Is anyone from Comcast listening?

Recognized Contributor

Re: Someone is using my email address?!?!

This isn't your problem, and you don't need to worry about it.  Some other user is confused about what his email address is, so he's giving out yours when he signs up for things.  Eventually, he'll realize that he's not getting the emails he's supposed to be getting.  He's not actually "using" your email address, but when someone asks him for his email address, he's giving them the wrong one.  When you get a personal email intended for this other guy, just reply, explaining that you're not him, and telling the sender to phone their friend and find out what his real email address is.  He'll figure it out, eventually.

There's no way this can do you any harm.  The only one losing out is the guy who's confused about what his email address is.
New Visitor

That may be true, its very annoying! I don't want a bunch of newsletters and junk mail from places that he's done business with. I haven't gotten one personal email addressed to him, it's only been email related to online transactions which is why I got suspicious. Why would someone do that, I mean I would want to know when my stuff is going to ship, etc... He's got to be doing this intentionally, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. That's why I got suspicious.

I have his address I guess I could write him a letter. Comcast verified that he is a customer, I wish they would do something about it.
Most Valued Poster
Michael

dinardieng,

The same thing is happending with my daughter's address.  A teenage girl in another state has giving all of her friends my daughter's address in error.  She is also signing up at a bunch of websites (youtube, myspace, etc.) and registering with my daughter's address.  I have never been able to identify her real address, but I have certainly responded to a bunch of the personal emails, letting her friends know that they have reached the wrong person.  Unfortunately, they never respond after that (not so much as a thank you :smileyplain:).
Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

dinardieng wrote:
I don't want a bunch of ... junk mail from places that he's done business with.

Let me revise what I said.  This aspect of the problem could do you harm.  If he manages to get your address onto spammer lists, you'll end up being forced to find a new email address to escape from the deluge.

You might want to send a Forum Message (click on "You Have No Forum Messages," upper right) to Michael (moderator) with more details, and see if he can intervene.

Edit: I see Michael has arrived.  If anyone can help, he's the one!

Message Edited by EarlyOut on 09-14-2007 06:11 PM
Most Valued Poster
Michael

EarlyOut wrote:
You might want to send a Forum Message (click on "You Have No Forum Messages," upper right) to Michael (moderator) with more details, and see if he can intervene.

Send me the customer's address (via PM) and I can have someone contact them.