New Visitor

Suddenly can't send/receive email using Outlook... ????

Sorry if the answer has been posted already. I have looked and nothing seems to help me. I am a Comcast account holder and use Outlook 2003 at my work to access my Comcast emails. It has always worked perfectly/smoothly but suddenly it has stopped.

I suspect that it has something to do with Port 25 blocking but am not sure. Below are my errors when attempting to test the account settings by sending a test message:

Send test e-mail message: The specified server was found, but there was no response from the server. Please verify tha tthe port and SSL information is correct. To access these settings close the dialog, then click More Settings and click on the Advanced tab.

I have tried, what seems to be, everything as far as the POP3/SMTP port settings but am having no luck.

Thoughts/advice/direction?

New Visitor

Re: Suddenly can't send/receive email using Outlook... ????

[ Edited ]

At home last night, I was able to send/receive email from all of my Comcast accounts using Outlook Express. I verified all of the port settings (outgoing 587) (incoming 110), tried them at work again, and am still not able to send/receive at work.

I also tried all of the suggestions here on the boards, such as

1. check both boxes for “This server requires an SSL-secured connection”
  2. change port number to 995 for incoming, 465 for outgoing
  3. bump up the Server Timeouts slider to the high end

Nothing works. From home I could easily telnet and connect to comcast but not here at work. ???

Message Edited by coolio23e on 04-23-2009 10:11 AM
Email Expert
JR071702

coolio23e wrote:

At home last night, I was able to send/receive email from all of my Comcast accounts using Outlook Express. I verified all of the port settings (outgoing 587) (incoming 110), tried them at work again, and am still not able to send/receive at work.

I also tried all of the suggestions here on the boards, such as

1. check both boxes for “This server requires an SSL-secured connection”
  2. change port number to 995 for incoming, 465 for outgoing
  3. bump up the Server Timeouts slider to the high end

Nothing works. From home I could easily telnet and connect to comcast but not here at work. ???

Message Edited by coolio23e on 04-23-2009 10:11 AM

It could be that your company has recently decided to block those ports.   I know that I can't use my T-Bird client at work for that reason.    If this is the case, then we can't do anything to help you.

You may want to use SmartZone to check your e-mail at work - but then again, you may want to refer to your company's policy regarding personal use of company resources.

JR

New Visitor

Yup, I think you are dead on. I would think that this would be a common issue at many companies. Ergo, hasn't someone come up with a workaround/solution? Are there any other port numbers that can be used for email? It appears as if it is limited to only a few.

There are also some great client pieces out there that provide the same ability of getting/sending email from multiple email account types as Smartzone. They are much smaller and have waaaay less functionality. One that comes to mind that I might have to try here at work is Eprompter.

Regular Problem Solver
slouke

coolio23e wrote:

Yup, I think you are dead on. I would think that this would be a common issue at many companies. Ergo, hasn't someone come up with a workaround/solution? Are there any other port numbers that can be used for email? It appears as if it is limited to only a few.

Dude, have you thought that there might be a reason that your company has blocked access to personal email?  It's their network and time, perhaps they get to determine what you do at work?

Email Expert
JR071702

coolio23e wrote:

There are also some great client pieces out there that provide the same ability of getting/sending email from multiple email account types as Smartzone. They are much smaller and have waaaay less functionality. One that comes to mind that I might have to try here at work is Eprompter.

Most people aren't trying to workaround their companies security policies.    I suggested using SmartZone at work (if they don't have that blocked for you).

The helpers on this forum will not help you "get around" work-imposed rules blocking access to e-mail inbox.

Locking this thread as there is no more help we can give for this issue.

JR